Best wavetable synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Still would like to hear your opinion on buying one of these when I already have Omnisphere.

Also: I was just checking out Synthmaster 2.6 witch sounds impressive (feature- and preset/expansion wise).

Listen to the demos, especially the ones from Nori Ubukata: http://www.kv331audio.com/purchase.aspx

Blue Wind Project wrote:I read through the replies, and if I missed it, forgive me, but I don't think Cakewalk Rapture has been
mentioned. I use it in almost every piece of music I create and the possibilities are limitless imho.
I like Rapture, too bad there is not 64 bit on OS X.

Electra and Serum for me !

I'd probably have to say at this point that you'd be hard pressed to beat Serum. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of wavetable synths in my arsenal that I like, but if I had to choose a single one it would be Serum. Great UI, great functionality, fantastic wavetable editing... decent effects. Just a really great all-rounder.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The Waldorf Nave from Tempo Rubato will finally be released for PC and Mac. I knew it as iOS app and it looks really promising.

zerocrossing wrote:I'd probably have to say at this point that you'd be hard pressed to beat Serum. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of wavetable synths in my arsenal that I like, but if I had to choose a single one it would be Serum. Great UI, great functionality, fantastic wavetable editing... decent effects. Just a really great all-rounder.
I agree. In fact, I think it totally blows Zebra 2 away in this area, even though I don't really consider Zebra 2 a true wavetable synth even though I guess technically it is. It just seems very limited in that area, though it does excel in other areas.

It's just not my "go to" wavetable synth. Serum is hands down.

wagtunes wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I'd probably have to say at this point that you'd be hard pressed to beat Serum. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of wavetable synths in my arsenal that I like, but if I had to choose a single one it would be Serum. Great UI, great functionality, fantastic wavetable editing... decent effects. Just a really great all-rounder.
I agree. In fact, I think it totally blows Zebra 2 away in this area, even though I don't really consider Zebra 2 a true wavetable synth even though I guess technically it is. It just seems very limited in that area, though it does excel in other areas.
Zebra is not a wavetable synth in the sense that that is its main/only focus. But the wavetable functionality is very capable. Each Osc can have 16 user drawable waveforms. You can blend or morph between them and modulate the resolution. Each Osc has the 2 OscFX, which can also be modulated so you have a 3d wave grid that goes well beyond just 16 waveforms in a linear line.

Here is one quick example I just made in about 2 minutes (from INIT). 1 Osc and no other modules... no filter or fx etc... just raw osc output

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Zwave.mp3

Zebra is not limited as a wavetable synth. It's one of the more capable.

This is a 2 part question. One for sound and the other for UI. Serum has an upper hand in great UI. That's a very valuable thing for all synths. Not sure about the sound though. Sounds like Massive's wavetables quality to me, which I'm not a big fan of. For me, I think PPG v3 sounds the best. If Waldorf gave it Serum's UI, it would be perfect.

Serum for now......omnisphere 2 looks like it may take the crown in this and many other synth categories!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Problem with Serum is CPU use, way too much for a wavetable synth.

PPG wavemapper sounss very good and uses very lo CPU.
dedication to flying

You can't beat z3ta+ :borg:

Another I just did in Zebra - 1 Osc only with user drawn wavetable, no filter at all (some delay and bit of reverb)

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Zwave2.mp3

I haven't tried out Zeta. Might have to look into it's wavetables.

I have Wavegenerator, but haven't check out how much different PPG Wavemapper 2 is. Have been thinking it's almost the synth (sound) except with a different UI.

for complex WT Serum is stunning als the way how you can morph between 2 tables, well done.
and the really good "WT synth" is Zebra 2. the whole frame work around is stunning.

Who likes PPG WaveMapper 2? Somehow I don't feel like the page moving 8 modules around produces good results. Seems like too much fiddling around without any rare reward. I don't have it which is why I ask. The rest of the interface looks nice though. I like the sound quality of WaveGenerator, but not it's interface. But I'm wondering if WaveMapper is worth getting over WaveGenerator if you are into messing mainly with wavetables.

Return to “Instruments”