Which synths stop working if...?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robotmonkey wrote:
deft_bonz wrote: I think easier and better in such a situation would be to launch a "free" version that ever body can download, and nobody would have any hassles later. E.g. turn off any protections. For the paying customers this would be of course a nice clean head shot :D but still better this way than having software that doesn't work at all any longer ;)
Ironically enough, the only time I have seen this happen in reality is when Adobe turned off it activation servers for CS2 and Audition. They, of all companies, had a decency to release a new version of the software that did not need online activation.

But otherwise I have seen plenty of software and games vanish into thin air just like that. Many developers have said that don't worry about our copy protection, if we go down, we will remove it. For some reason I just can't feel so sure about it.
I wouldn't either bet on that ;)
But "I have a dream..." :pray:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Hey,
if a software currently use C/R for authentication is one thing.
There's always the possibility when the company stops, they may create a final version, that doesn't use C/R.
On the other hand, I saw no such example.

It also has to do with whether the drivers will work in a future OS.

this is why I keep a thumb drive with all the best freeware on it

i have a whole freeware studio, I never use it in favor of my paid plugins (got to get my moneys worth...)

but if the world ends, I'll still be able to make music in my dungeon with freeware that works forever

now, i'll just need to figure out how to get electricity, food, heat, etc...

but no worries, I can make music :tu:

NI explicitly has an FAQ about this (or has had one), which states they have a contingency permanent serial number for activation they can give customers should they cease operations. Since this hasn't been discovered by crackers, I presume it would require one last release of service center to enable it.
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

mike the mental wrote:...but if the world ends, I'll still be able to make music in my dungeon with freeware that works forever...
but no worries, I can make music :tu:
If I was the only living person, hiding away in a bunker, I don't think I would make music any more. Not because of having no electricity or fuel. Because the only person to listen to it would be me.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

dune_rave wrote: On the other hand, I saw no such example.
Redmatica.
I own two of thier products and they created a final version where I don't need authorization.

ValliSoftware wrote:
dune_rave wrote: On the other hand, I saw no such example.
Redmatica.
I own two of thier products and they created a final version where I don't need authorization.
Then there's no use to fear that N.I. stops and all their software wil be unusable...

Well I'm with Mike, except i don't buy anything whatsoever. Not just because i'm dirt poor - it's the idea of all that in-depth learning being wasted... Time and energy are the real currencies here. For example, having finally gotten to grips with the DS404 freeware sampler (circa 2002) having 16 multis, each with 16 timbres, each taking 1 of 16 patches, each using 1 of 16 keymaps, each of which often employs multiple sample splits and multiple velocity layers... Having finally gotten to grips with just the principles of that, i'm damned if some fly-by-night capitalist who thinks he's bigger than music is going to pull the rug from under me.

Buy (almost) nothing. Keep it simple... (well, as simple as you can!) Get off the treadmill and don't hang your precious expressivity out for profiteers to torture to death.

Zoned wrote:...Having finally gotten to grips with just the principles of that, i'm damned if some fly-by-night capitalist who thinks he's bigger than music is going to pull the rug from under me.

Buy (almost) nothing. Keep it simple... (well, as simple as you can!) Get off the treadmill and don't hang your precious expressivity out for profiteers to torture to death.
Line those plugin developers up against the wall first in the revolution comrade! :wink:

Which synths stop working if...?

Even if that's the worst case, and it seems your stuff no longer works, there's more solution:

-no more online authentication? --> install a "patch" and everything is fine
-your usb dongle damaged? --> install a "patch" and everything is fine
-the new OS don't support the software --> Stick to your previous DAW or use virtualization

Anyway, there are quite many synths, that are so cool I will use them anyway,
no matter if they work in a new OS.
If you use your PC to music making and the current setup is OK,
then why change OS?

Why change OS? You don't: the treadmill operators force-bundle it onto your new machine after a power surge cooked your last one! This is where I much prefer Windows, with their (often criticized) commitment to back-compatibility & their extensive right-click compatibility modes. Recently I was testing this fantastic thing I'd made in SynthMaker CM (32 bit, company dissolved), using Muzys as a host (32bit, software abandoned) and it was all running nicely on Windows 8.1, 64 bit... That's 1 happy semi-Luddite right there!

Return to “Instruments”