Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

lnikj wrote: @Mojo42 - It all depends on how you look at it. I am an Aspie, only diagnosed as an adult. I have suffered from severe depression in the past, much less so now that I have completely changed my life, but I still have considerable anxiety/stress issues.

I agree that I don't suffer from having Asperger's per se, but those around me suffer from my having Asperger's.

However, the fact that I have Asperger's leads to problems in my social interacton and that has been/is a major factor in my depression and anxiety.

One way of looking at it, then, Is that I don't suffer from being an Aspie; another way is that I do.

Thanks for making the point though re. Camel.
You explained it very well, but fortunately I got over it. I left the depressions behind me, when I finally accepted my destiny. You said that you have less depressions since you changed your life. I also had to change my live for being happy. For those who are not autists this probably sounds very hard and depressing but in fact the solution of all my problems was: Simply staying alone.

I recognized that I feel very well, when I`m alone and so I`m most of the time alone. It was a big step for me to post in this forum, because originally my plan was to avoid forums because of all the trouble and stress which could follow by trying to communicate with neurotypicals. But to be honest: If I look at this thread here it is not so much different from the threads in my Aspie Forum :lol: (seriously)

That was the reason why I immediately feel like home here and so I post here. Until now everything works fine. In real live I have just few contacts: My parents, of course all the people at my job, but I just work 10-12 days per month because I only work nightshift and those nightshifts are between 12 and 14 hours and so I can earn my money in 10-12 days each month. I have contact to my best friend (but only per mail because he lives not in Hamburg), sometimes I see my Ex (because we are still friends), I meet a female autist (but not each month), and in the summertime I meet the huntsman (he is mostlikely autistic too) of our nature protection area because we both make a nature protection project together and so we go for watching and counting animals and such. That`s all, so far, apart from my internet contacts of course, but I`m talking here about my real live contacts. I added my best friends to my real live contacts because in earlier days we had a lot of real contact of course, but then he moved into another City and since then real live contact is difficult.

This means at least the half of the month I`m isolated and have no real live contacts. Since I gave it up to find friends for any price I`m actually completely free from depressions. I have this couple of contacts and with all of them it works fine. No problems. Either they are very close to me, knowing me since a long time and understand me right or they are autistic too.

I know an autistic social worker from the Aspie forum and he wished to build up an Aspie Group here in Hamburg for meetings, exchanging experiances, joint ventures and simply for getting in touch. I still consider to join. I guess I will give this a trial. This all means: I adapted my live to the autism. Not I try to adapt myself to the society (because this doesn`t work). Since I accept that I am what I am and since I live the way which corresponds to me I`m actually even very happy. I don`t know if it is as easy for you to make it same way, but I just can recommend that you should try to avoid all stress which you can avoid. For example I only go shopping after 9 o`clock pm, because then there are only 3 people at the supermarket you know? :lol: There are so many ways to avoid unnecessary stress if you just keep in mind to adapt your live to your autism.

You don`t like family meetings? Just don`t join them. Explain your family how hard this is for you.
You don`t like big events with a lot of people? Don`t join them. Say to your friends that you don`t like concerts, theater and so on. Look for alternatives.
You don`t like phone calls? (In fact I hate it): Turn your phone off :lol:
I actually do this very often lol. No one is angry with me because I am such a freak. I explained it to all and even if they can`t understand exactly they can at least accept my special habits.

Of course: All this needs tolerance from your family, friends, partner and so on. I hope for you that your situation can improve.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

But that doesn't make it not a synth. Maybe not a "good" synth in your opinion, but a synth nonetheless.
Again, i didnt say it wasnt.

Kriminal wrote:As i recall, in folders called osc or va osc. Samples are also used for lfo shapes.
No such folder. No such filenames as the names of waveforms displayed in "Load VA" dropdown menu.

An oscillator waveform is defined by a RAW file containing 20 cycles of the waveform, each lowpass filtered with a progressively lower cutoff frequency. This is to allow the oscillator to be used over a wide range of frequencies without significant aliasing. The cutoff starts at one half-octave below the nyquist frequency and then goes down in half-octave decrements; in other words, the frequency is divided by the square root of 2 each time. For more experimental results it would be possible to place whatever waveform you like into each slot, allowing for the use of different waveforms at different pitches. The resulting file should be placed in a subfolder in Alchemy/Libraries/WaveOsc.
that is also the location of the factory osc waveforms

The final two synthesis options are simply variations on a theme. Sampler mode is an option in the Granular engine that plays back samples continuously instead of splitting them into grains. Virtual Analogue synthesis is an alternative mode for the Additive engine, playing back one of 48 oscillator waveforms with variable pulsewidth, PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), and Unison. The waveforms are licensed from Galbanum, whose waveforms have also graced many other quality synths, including U&I Software's famous Metasynth and NI's Absynth and Massive.

From sound on sound.

They could tell us, but then they'd have to kill us all.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

TheoM wrote:
izonin wrote:
hibidy wrote:
SLiC wrote:Korg are buying Ableton....
That would be like a book store buying apple.
Ableton Inc. revenue - 20 mln.
Korg Inc. revenue - over 200 mln.

Korg could easily buy Ableton :wink:
is that their overall or yearly?
Yearly, of course.

Mojo42 wrote:<interesting stuff>
It's quite fascinating reading your posts. I don't really have anything to add to the topic, other than "why can't we all just get along?" :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a quick pointer - because I've noticed you have the same tendency as many German speakers to confuse the words "live" and "life" in English.

Life (pronounced as you would "leif" in German) is the noun, i.e. das Leben. This would be the correct choice for real-life (im/aus dem echten Leben).
Live (pronounced "lɪv", where ɪ is the schwa sound you find everywhere in English) is the verb, ie zu leben. I live in a car, I have lived on the moon for three years etc.
Live (pronounced as you would "leiw" in German) is an adjective exclusively used for broadcasts and events etc., and has the same meaning in German, i.e. live on air, live at the XYZ Arena etc. Remember that this is not pronounced "leif" - V and F have entirely different pronunciations in English, unlike in German where they commonly both get pronounced as an F. This is presumably the source of confusion to German speakers, who tend to treat them as homonyms (which they aren't), and then mix up the various meanings of the three words as a result!

Your English is very good, so this is not meant to be critical, just hoping that I can maybe contribute something useful for you...

Mojo42 wrote:
lnikj wrote: @Mojo42 - It all depends on how you look at it. I am an Aspie...
You explained it very well, but fortunately I got over it. I left the depressions behind me, when I finally accepted my destiny. You said that you have less depressions since you changed your life. I also had to change my live for being happy. For those who are not autists this probably sounds very hard and depressing but in fact the solution of all my problems was: Simply staying alone…
Thanks for your kind words. I'm OK, really.

I am high functioning, I have a Ph.D, but I am not a savant. I had a career and a wife, but I lost all that due to my depression, not from being an Aspie as such.

That was 8 years ago though and I'm pretty good now.

I have now done pretty much the same as you. I live with a very understanding partner and a little dog. I scratch a living working from home. I now have basically no social contact apart from my partner, and my very elderly parents whom I see about once a month. About twice a year one or other of my two close old friends comes to stay. I too go shopping late at night!

As you noted in your post, many people looking in would think I have a very sad life, but I am fine with it. It just took me a long time to find it. Glad you are doing good and you did right to correct some misconceptions here.

I just wanted to complete this little exchange; we should PM if we need to after this I think.

Back to the serious stuff then: WTF? Camel? What happened? :x

Sorry for being many pages late, but...
Tricky-Loops wrote:...Even "normal" (to avoid the term "healthy") people (without Asperger) are suffering from time to time!
Absolutely. Everyone suffers from time to time. But I'll tell you, I don't feel abnormal. It's the rest of society that feels abnormal to me. The hostility, machismo, competitiveness, lies, passive-aggression, antipathy, coldness, etc. I think my society is embracing bitter sarcasm and hostility as part of some compensation for everyone feeling oppressed while being told they're "free". The Internet is a perfect example of opening the floodgates on the worst of human behavior. Anonymity enables such viscousness.
Tricky-Loops wrote: So why should Asperger people not suffer? Because they're the only happy people in this world? :o
I don't identify as "Asperger", just high-functioning autism. But I'll tell you, and you've probably seen it on this forum, I'm not happy at all. I'm not in any way content to sit all by myself playing with my music gear or whatever. I'm trapped in a place I hate, surrounded by hostility and noise, and terribly lonely. I'm only really here for some Internet-version of social interaction. My area does not have people like me. Few atheists, few vegetarian atheists, few ethically non-monogamous vegetarian atheists that like the kind of music I like ;-) I'm in a very conservative and xenophobic area. I try to get to the local humanist meetings but they're mostly older married people and not really like me otherwise.

Not happy.
Tricky-Loops wrote: My impression is that everyone with autism is different, even everyone with Asperger is different - look at their interests, they're all different, not everyone is interested in synthesizers, modulation or sound design...
Hell yes! When I first sought my diagnosis, I thought I might find more community and bonding with other openly autistic folks. I checked out forums like "Wrong Planet". End result? I can't stand any of them. They're so disconnected and disinterested, from my perspective. One woman I tried to get to know basically told me I was just a computer AI to her because we never met. When I suggested meeting, she said she couldn't handle the potential that I'd reject her (because it happens to her so much). So I stopped trying. Then when I started blasting all my personal shit all over my blog and Flickr photos, she said that she felt like I was "bragging" (as if my suffering was superior to hers). It was like my old friends all over again (some of which I'm sure are on the spectrum).

I had a few more experiences similar to that and I just decided to give it up. I'm not compatible with other autistic folks, apparently. Maybe I'm too neurological at this point in my life???

[EDIT: thank you, autocorrect, but I really DID mean "neurotypical"!!! :mad:]

I had a girlfriend with a life time of attracting autistic folks. Her best friend and housemate was very "aspie". Rather stereotypical in fact. He frustrated the hell out of her and me. So...???

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!

We seek community among the populous. That's "we" as in "all humans". When we find something we think is similar, we pounce. We try to get into a group that makes us feel not alone, not singled out, not different (because in the USA at least, different is BAD). The end result isn't always what we expect. Surface similarities can fool us into trying to bond with people we are incompatible with. It's HUMAN.
Tricky-Loops wrote:And then, if you say "Asperger people don't have any disease, they're only different!", then the same applies to ALL kind of syndromes, disorders and disabilities... Same with ADHS, nobody talked about ADHS 30 years ago. It's just a new diagnosis but everyone with the diagnosis "ADHS" is different. And then, if I cannot concentrate 2 hours without any break on sound design, am I just impatient or do I have ADHS? (Or don't I have enough time in my life to modulate the modulators? :P)
The question is "does that condition negatively impact the person's ability to lead a functional and interdependent life?" (and do take note I said INTERdependent) People have varying degrees of whatever. If your whatever is making your life difficult, then it's something to address (preferably proactively and not with drugs to cover symptoms).

But there's the thing: people like to see themselves as normal. If they are content with themselves, so be it. If they can function in life, then so what? But it can be a problem when a person's preferences or habits, which normally serve them fine in isolation, interfere with their functioning with others. That's practical. It's not just "society doesn't get me" (which is legit too). If you are content with yourself and you can interact with others successfully enough to live a life, I don't see any need to call out any condition.

BUT SOME DO. Look at how the conservative christian republicans in the USA want to regulate women's sexuality, or put their religion into power in a theocracy. Some people have problems with anything that's not to their own personal standard. It doesn't even have to be that extreme. If a person is happy, functional, and content, and prefers to never socialize and just do their own thing, there are people who will call that a mental illness. Same for those that like sex "too much".

The thing is, some of this autism spectrum is harmless to everyone, but greatly offends the ideals of some people who feel compelled to point fingers and judge what is or is not normal. Like: I'm not normal because I'm honest?? But I've been taught lies are bad! So who's wrong? Me or all the people that say "everyone lies!!" And then we get into arguments about what a lie really is, etc.

BAH!!!
MEH.
Harrumph.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

can we get back on topic, please? :hihi:

Arglebargle wrote:can we get back on topic, please? :hihi:
Back on topic to off topic silliness... ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: If a person is happy, functional, and content, and prefers to never socialize and just do their own thing, there are people who will call that a mental illness. Same for those that like sex "too much".
I must be insane then on that second point. :D

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:can we get back on topic, please? :hihi:
Back on topic to off topic silliness... ;-)
I prefer both.... :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Do camels ever have autism?

I think we need to have an investigation into Camel psychology.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Instruments”