RP Predator still worth it? if you got.....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for example Dune 2, Serum?

:)

atm i demo it cause i read a lot of praise in the past and it definitely is a great vst it seems, though it lacks (sure it's older now!) the clear brightness in sounds you can set in those 2 above mentioned plugins.

but does predator have some uniqueness why you should/could get it?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Man, stop! If you want to get better at sound design stop wasting your money and time and start learning the great synths you already have! :x

:hug:

It is absolutely excellent for bass. Has some really nice mid-range pluck sounds. Also does really well with classic synth sounds.

I am selling it here if you are interested:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=425163

I am only selling it to raise some funds for other music gear. I use mainly DIVA for bass now anways. Finally got a computer that can handle DIVA.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:Man, stop! If you want to get better at sound design stop wasting your money and time and start learning the great synths you already have! :x

Dont be so cruel to the guy :)
Caine123 wrote:for example Dune 2, Serum?

:)

atm i demo it cause i read a lot of praise in the past and it definitely is a great vst it seems, though it lacks (sure it's older now!) the clear brightness in sounds you can set in those 2 above mentioned plugins.

but does predator have some uniqueness why you should/could get it?
If you like the character of sound, interface (and many other things) and it is enough for you then the guy above is right, learn the synths. If not, hmm it depends what kind of sound you want. I think predator is a bit dull sounding, but it might apeal to others.

I have myself quite a buch of synth including Dune 2 and for me it doesnt cover all the ground, but its because of sound character. Its great if you want smooth "silky" sound. But if you want somethng that "cuts" i look elsewhere.

Just some synth are good for one task and another for other.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:Man, stop! If you want to get better at sound design stop wasting your money and time and start learning the great synths you already have! :x

That's what I was basically going to say. I swear, Caine123, you spend more fkkkking money on software in one month than I do on food in an entire year. Slow down, son. F'real, dawg. Peace yo. 8)
[Insert Signature Here]

themachinelt wrote:

Lol cruel? Nah :P
[Insert Signature Here]

bailees7irish wrote:
themachinelt wrote:

Lol cruel? Nah :P
Being more realistic than cruel, actually.

Look. What bailees7irish and a few others, like myself, would suggest is learn the ones you already have instead of buying another synth you really do not need right now.

You would save a lot of money and time, really!!! :tu:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

oh my image is down :D

yeah i wanted to read some feedbacks but imma learn my zebra and dune2 and my Hive :D!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I don't know the OP but I'll take it from the responses that he has a rep for getting every synth on the planet or close to it.

Let me give you some advice from an old war horse. My first synth, which was a Moog Sonic Six back in 79, I spent years learning and it didn't really have much you could even do with it. I didn't get my ARP AXXE and Odyssey until the early 80s. By that time, and just before I got my Yamaha, I had a fairly decent grasp of synthesis and could tell for myself, without having to ask others, if a synth was right for me just by playing it.

If you have to ask somebody if you should get a certain synth or not, then you don't have enough knowledge of synthesis to be looking at anymore synths than what you already own. Some magic door isn't going to suddenly open because you bought one more synth.

Today, I buy synths because I like the way they sound and think I can use it to create the kind of music I do. I don't have to ask somebody if they think I should buy it. I might ask if the synth is buggy or stable. Last thing I want is to get something that's crashing every 10 minutes. Other than something like that, any decisions I make are based solely on what my two ears hear.

So what do YOU think of the sound of this synth? Do you think it gives you more than what you have in other synths? Is there something special about it? Personally, I'm pretty much past simple Analog Subtractive synthesis. These days I'm on the lookout for Granular, Wavetable and Modular synths. I've outgrown the 3 VCO, 2 VCF, 2 LFO, VCA model unless that synth has a sound that is truly unique, which is close to impossible with such limitations.

But what about you? Are you an expert with the synths you currently own? Can you make any sound at will? If not, you might want to spend your time getting everything that you can out of THOSE synths before you buy any others.

Right now I'm trying to conquer Cycle because that is one weird beast. That synth alone could take months out of my life if I let it. So anything else I get right now has to be immediately usable and give me something that I'm going to have trouble duplicating with another synth. That's why I've put off getting synths like Diva and Bazille, which are great synths but simply don't give me something that I can't get from another synth I have, even if the sound quality isn't exactly the same. As a modular synth, my Mux, KarmaFX and Sonigen are good enough. As an analog synth, I have plenty and don't need Diva. Otherwise, I'd be overrun with synths and in debt up to my eyeballs.

Use what you have. Master it. When you get to the point where there is nowhere else to go with what you already own, THEN maybe you can think about getting something else.

Otherwise, you're not going to get any better as a synthesist and will go broke in the process.

wagtunes wrote:If you have to ask somebody if you should get a certain synth or not, then you don't have enough knowledge of synthesis to be looking at anymore synths than what you already own.
:tu:

wagtunes wrote:Use what you have. Master it. When you get to the point where there is nowhere else to go with what you already own, THEN maybe you can think about getting something else.

Otherwise, you're not going to get any better as a synthesist and will go broke in the process.
Great post. My production teacher tells me the same thing.

I've definitely fallen victim to GAS and can say from experience that it is a nearly bottomless pit of pointlessness that can be really difficult to recover from.

If you want to spend more money on music-y stuff, go buy Syntorial and go through all the lessons. I suspect you'll find that you'll start asking much different questions than,"Is X synth better than Y synth?"

Naenyn wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Use what you have. Master it. When you get to the point where there is nowhere else to go with what you already own, THEN maybe you can think about getting something else.

Great post. My production teacher tells me the same thing.

I've definitely fallen victim to GAS and can say from experience that it is a nearly bottomless pit of pointlessness that can be really difficult to recover from.

If you want to spend more money on music-y stuff, go buy Syntorial and go through all the lessons. I suspect you'll find that you'll start asking much different questions than,"Is X synth better than Y synth?"
I have the opposite problem now. Most synths, on a technical level, bore me to tears. So I have to evaluate them on sound quality alone or I'd never buy anything anymore. Cycle is one synth that really gives me a challenge and I love it. It may take me a long time to really get the hang of that thing. Of course the few bugs in it don't help matters. Hopefully, the next release will be more stable.

One thing I look for specifically in a synth is an excellent filter system. Many that years ago I would have thought were "good" I am now finding are lacking. That's one of the things I love about Cycle. It doesn't have a traditional filter per say. I'm not exactly sure what to call what it has. It's definitely unique.

Other synths I have considerable fun with as they're not your everyday run of the mill variety.

ARP 2600 V
KarmaFX Modular
Modular V
MS-20
MUX Modular
Reaktor 5
Serum
Sonigen Modular
Synthmaster 2.5
TCM II
The Mangle
XILS 4
Zebra 2

Some are more challenging than others but all of the above keep my interest to some degree.

Want some real brain twisting fun? Get a hold of X 11. It's 32 bit so you'll have to bridge it, but it's a programmer's dream, or nightmare depending on how you look at it.

themachinelt wrote:

Forget even commenting on he OP, as he constantly asks questions that were answered over and over. Not to mention that he wants feedback, but never returns to his own threads and still does whatever he feels like. Then he starts complaining in company threads that the plugins/instruments in questions are overpriced and don't get him anywhere. Yet he has a lot of money to burn in the first place. Rinse and repeat - waste of time.

I follow Caine123's posts for quite a while now. He was in my studio a couple of years ago where I sold him some gear and tried to show him some production tricks. He later barked up my tree that the iLok I sold him to was "allegedly broken". And up until this point, I did never hear or see anything produced from him.

I see this person as "mere collector" with an already pre set mind. And with the tools he already has, or rather has "invested in", he should be covered for years to come without even feeling the need to touch a dial on a synth or plugin.

So all in all, this thread is just another "what is better" or "what is the best" list thread.
Last edited by Compyfox on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I don't know what you have, but I don't recommend predator unless it covers ground other synths don't cover. there's nothing special about this synth IMO, papen has, and continues to do better than predator.

for papen i'd look into blue 2, blade. subboombass. albino3 was great but i think it's discontinued.

It's a good synth, and still relevant imo. Should you get it? Try the demo. See if you like the workflow and the sound. Decide.
Eternitysound VST Banks

Return to “Instruments”