Poll: Iris Evolution - how many of you have made the switch to Iris 2

Official support for: patchpool.de

Which Iris version do you currently use?

Iris 1
38%
Iris 2
21%
Both
32%
Bananas
9%

Total votes: 68

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

TwoToneshuzz wrote:Main hope is that they iron out the bugs in the new version, and i really really prefer to only have to deal with the one version going forward.

New buyers of Iris 2 will likely not understand what the fuss was all about in 6 months or so.
You're right.

Give it a year or so and then Iris 3 will be released which cobbles a few more bits and pieces from their other software and breaks Iris 2 patch compatibility.

Oh, but as a consolation prize you can run Iris 2 + 3 side-by-side. :roll:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

But at one point it's time to overcome the sarcasm and annoyance and move on, I personally had my share of moaning and ranting - and I ranted a lot about Iris 2 when finding all the conversion bugs and limitations - and I am now recovering and re-motivating myself for some more years with Iris until that will be gone too, eventually all software will die, so let's make the best of it while it's alive, or switch to hardware and instrumental/acoustic music and forget about all the software shit.

Ben H wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:Main hope is that they iron out the bugs in the new version, and i really really prefer to only have to deal with the one version going forward.

New buyers of Iris 2 will likely not understand what the fuss was all about in 6 months or so.
You're right.

Give it a year or so and then Iris 3 will be released which cobbles a few more bits and pieces from their other software and breaks Iris 2 patch compatibility.

Oh, but as a consolation prize you can run Iris 2 + 3 side-by-side. :roll:
I've been using music making hardware and software for 24 years now and it all eventually turns to dust, though any computer I have can easily be fixed and kept running with the older versions of the software it's just not economicaaly sensible time wise or money wise to make the effort to keep older systems running.. Another thing older digital systems were noisy and slow and hard on the eyes.. With slow workflows..It was fun while it lasted..

I was actually surprised when they introduced a whole number upgrade of Iris, but that just seems to be iZotopes business model..If it ain't broken why fix it until you want to add significant to features.. This time maybe not the features a smaller group of power users want..

I look forward to using Iris 1+2 in the next many years, at present there doesn't seem to be anything that duplicates it's functionality.

I doubt it will be upgraded to a whole number upgrade in a year or so though..

Most big software upgrades break compatibility so that older files need to be converted and newer version files can't be read by the older programs..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Sampleconstruct wrote:But at one point it's time to overcome the sarcasm and annoyance and move on, I personally had my share of moaning and ranting - and I ranted a lot about Iris 2 when finding all the conversion bugs and limitations - and I am now recovering and re-motivating myself for some more years with Iris until that will be gone too, eventually all software will die, so let's make the best of it while it's alive, or switch to hardware and instrumental/acoustic music and forget about all the software shit.
I too am pretty tired of all the acrimony around the KVR site here lately, and I'd speculate that many that are chiming in on the debate have only a passing/superficial interest in most of the software they are complaining about. The problems we are seeing are born of this high-end niche market where it's hard to sustain a company based on sales of the core systems alone..So Iris 2's missing features and bugs are born of this..lack of funds not enough users buying the core system and the add ons..

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Most big software upgrades break compatibility so that older files need to be converted and newer version files can't be read by the older programs..
That's wrong though, it's the opposite, at least with the stuff I have used over the years, think Kontakt, Absynth, Reaktor, Zebra (which will break with v3, as announced), crusherX and many more examples.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:
That's wrong though, it's the opposite, at least with the stuff I have used over the years, think Kontakt, Absynth, Reaktor, Zebra (which will break with v3, as announced), crusherX and many more examples.
okay, then I stand corrected. I don't have Kontakt Absynth or Zebra and just got Reaktor, so if older versions can read things files created with the newer that's definitely highly desirable...

So this poll clearly shows, that it's much too early to switch my subscription to iris 2 only. I will run another poll in a few months time and see where we stand then.

Sampleconstruct wrote:So this poll clearly shows, that it's much too early to switch my subscription to iris 2 only. I will run another poll in a few months time and see where we stand then.
TF.
Last edited by Ben H on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

:?:

Thank f*ck. ;)

Ben H wrote:Thank f*ck. ;)
:-o

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ben H wrote:Thank f*ck. ;)
:-o
I'm not worried if you convert them to Iris 2 in a hurry, but I'd think it couldn't hurt in the middle distance to cater to buyers of Iris when more users get to know about it.

Whether it's Iris 1 or 2 it's still a unique tool, that in your hands in the least has brought whole new colors to the available options.

Ben H is kind of rude, what's up? It's Iris not a virus!

Nah, Ben is cool, he is just still pissed about the recent iZotopeGates I suppose. Took me a while to calm down too.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I've been looking for something to replace Iris, as it's CPU-heavy and all...was going to try Alchemy but now that's not an option. I'm running Iris 1 but am thinking about upgrading, there was so much backlash against Iris 2 and it seems like CPU load hasn't really been reduced so I'm not sure if I'll upgrade or not. Iris 2 is still cheaper than Alchemy would've been...

All that said I love Iris. Never had a synth that's so much fun to use and is so inspiring. That synth is made for people like me.

Here's a song of mine that features Iris: https://smaltmine.bandcamp.com/track/missionaria-we (https://smaltmine.bandcamp.com/track/missionaria-we)

Return to “patchpool”