2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Haha with the oven thing! Works now. Thanks. I should have realised that - I just hadn't had to adjust the buffer size for a very long time. KS is one demanding beast!

can you imagine if it were possible to layer in a second image in each modulator to act as a mask over the first image.... now i've got divine breath preset loaded and internal timing activated in sec/hz...i see 100000 sec is the slowest/lowest modulation...doesn't even register in Hz... internal white noise for broadband source ...midium feedback..now seriously difficult to keep from drowsiness. this is the soundtrack of floating inside nebulae, since that's possible in my mind. yes, i think i would bounce down a long take of KS every day for sleep. wish i had this when i was fryin (bacon) and playing with screen savers and mind machines..i'd probably never find my way back from that infinite scintillating ball of yarn... perhaps it was better that it didn't exist afterall

well, i told her that i was waiting for this one last plug... but i told her that back when Andrew first mentioned it... it'll take a bit of smooth-talking now...hmph... ill see if i can get this as an early birthday present... that's going to sound great to her when she knows how much i despise the concept of birthday... i'm just going to have to humiliate myself...cuz i love this

Not sure how practical it would be snigelx but I would also like to see z axis rotations for some of the images. Maybe also the ability to go backwards on the Y axis or back and forth.

There are already an insane amount of possibilities but there is room for more features too I think. My dog killed one of my presets because I forgot the scale it was in and she jumped on my lap and I accidentally clicked the next preset button. WTB undo :P
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Voice303 wrote:Not sure how practical it would be snigelx but I would also like to see z axis rotations for some of the images. Maybe also the ability to play the pitch part backwards as well.
Now you're getting all holographic! I like that way of thinking ;) Seems like it would munch on resources but perhaps layering an image mask over the first image would do the same...Yes, I want it to butter my muffins as well, but I'm waiting for the MIDI import before I go there :)
Voice303 wrote:There are already an insane amount of possibilities but there is room for more features too I think. My dog killed one of my presets because I forgot the scale it was in and she jumped on my lap and I accidentally clicked the next preset button. WTB undo :P
I agree, it's difficult/impossible to exhaust it like it is. About your dog... THAT is a problem. I mean KS has that allure where everyone in the household will want to play with it...even the family pet... beware of jealous acts such as what you witnessed. Give the dog a little time with the plugin sometime during the day when you've got other things going on and perhaps that will alleviate that issue of her trying to steal your KS time. I've got 5 cats to contend with here, so I feel ya. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah....first I find out about KS and had to buy it. Now Simon mentions Crusherx, which I was also unfamiliar with...now I'm fixated on that...stop it!
:help:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I've been promoting it all those years, I even processed an entire symphony orchestra with it in one of my orchestral works, live and in surround. It's the most advanced granulator on this planet, go get it. Or take a walk, just did that straight through the storm, highly inspirational.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I've been promoting it all those years, I even processed an entire symphony orchestra with it in one of my orchestral works, live and in surround. It's the most advanced granulator on this planet, go get it. Or take a walk, just did that straight through the storm, highly inspirational.
I'm already sold. I've got some granular tools, but this looks like you have more "granular" control. :wink: I'd rather have more potential now than I can currently handle than run into limits later.

I'm going through your instructional videos and filling in some blanks that have been there for a while. Nice work, btw.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Thanks, more to come later.

snigelx wrote:exhaust it like it is. About your dog... THAT is a problem. I mean KS has that allure where everyone in the household will want to play with it...even the family pet... beware of jealous acts such as what you witnessed. Give the dog a little time with the plugin sometime during the day when you've got other things going on and perhaps that will alleviate that issue of her trying to steal your KS time. I've got 5 cats to contend with here, so I feel ya. ;)
:lol:

Yeah, to be honest I think the only improvements that can be made at this point would be in terms of CPU / workflow.

I mean, I thought the possibilities were endless and then I saw the alternative tuning modes... god damn :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I would jump in and share my thoughts on this amazing plugin. 2cAudio's other effects are also incredible, but this one really grabbed me.

What turns me on the most is that it's currently being used academically in scientific research to explore new possibilities in the field of audio engineering, which might yield unprecedented synthesis techniques to be more fully realized in future instruments and effects, or possibly sound equipment lending itself to real world applications later on down the road.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's a really exciting (dare I say "historical") software that is sure to knock down some big walls in regard to sound design, especially within the realm of ambient music. It's nice to finally be able to break out of the granular rut, even though I love granular synthesis, and there appear to be some interesting granular techniques available in FIR mode.

Finally, resonant filters are being used on a much more ambitious level than in previous softwares. I used to mess around with Ableton's resonators, wishing for a similar architecture in a 3rd party plug, and now here it is ... on steroids! :party:

Yup I can see that Kaleidoscope is groundbreaking. interesting info Sound Author.. When something as powerful a Kaleidoscope is released it seems very open ended, it's a little ahead of it's time, and perhaps it will be a while before the average user has access to the kind of hardware to run this optimally..

I'm interested.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:...it's a little ahead of it's time, and perhaps it will be a while before the average user has access to the kind of hardware to run this optimally.
I was just discussing this with Simon. When I first plugged in Kaleidoscope, I was a little off-put by how computationally expensive it can be, but with a few tweaks it can also be surprisingly economic. I simply maxed out the buffer settings in both my DAW and in the "info" tab in Kaleidoscope.

Also, if you're like me and you're working on a potato laptop, you can reduce the number of resonators. I find that 250 resonators, or even the minimum setting of 128 resonators sound just fine...perhaps not as mind-blowingly spectacular as the full 512, but more than adequate to say the least.

However, I've yet to go into BIOS and disable unnecessary throttling of fan speeds optimized for gaming. Of course, I have mixed feelings about that because I'm not thrilled with the high temperatures I've experienced with low fan settings on my craptop. But if you had an excellent cooling system, you could plausibly have Kaleidoscope firing on all pistons on an affordable PC with power to spare.
Last edited by Sound Author on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@ Sound Authour

I'm actually using it in an external host called Audio Hijack pro where I can hijack the audio from my Daw and then either record it , it has the additional functionality that I can setup effects chains before recording. This seems to give my system an added boost so gone are all the crackles and sync issues..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:@ Sound Authour

I'm actually using it in and external host called Audio Hijack pro where I can hijack the audio from my Daw and then either record it , it has the additional functionality that I can setup effects chains before recording. This seems to give my system an added boost so gone are all the crackles and sync issues..
Cool! I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip! :hyper:

Andrew, you're a manual-writing god my friend. Sometimes you're explaining a concept or function from 3 different angles just to make certain the reader can have a better chance to grasp the meaning. Also, just so you know, i'll be 'moving into extreme random-delay territory here shortly' ;) Anyway, Thanks for the great read. I'll be revisiting it frequently! ;P

Return to “Effects”