New free SFZ player from Plogue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
sforzando

davidv@plogue wrote:Plenty more banks are coming. You will see :)
Hopefully, Sforzando will be compiled for Linux... :D
You can't always get what you waaaant...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
davidv@plogue wrote:That wasn't a contract thats for sure. :)
No, a gentleman's agreement it most def was not I understand now :(

So what you really meant to say is that it will be launched whenever next time you need some free publicity.
Talk about ungrateful.
Talk about trying to get into an argument several years later :dog:

That was like December 2013, do you want another handbag fight about that? :P

stanlea wrote:Hopefully, Sforzando will be compiled for Linux... :D
stanlea's signature wrote:You can't always get what you waaaant...
;)
One reason I guess it won't happen for a while is that "Sforzando" is not a single DLL, it's a wrapper over ARIA Engine, which provides services for a number of front ends. So you're asking for ARIA Engine to be "compiled for Linux" as well. Now, being what it is, it's not the simplest thing to "compile for Linux".

First, you have to get a user interface. If you're going to support a native UI toolkit, you have to pick one. You then either hope it's installed on the user's system or find out if you can ship it with your commercial product. Or licence it commercially. You also have to get the ability to dynamically create a user interface in place, as that's part of how ARIA Engine (and Sforzando) work. It needs to be kept stable (despite users on Linux potentially having a myriad of different UI toolkit versions, if you didn't supply one).

Oh and then get the audio side working. For Linux, that should mean JACK, which is "upside down" compared to ASIO, so introduces another layer of difference. Of course, you're relying here absolutely on the user having a usable installation. JACK can't be shipped commercially (last time I checked, no LGPL). Or you're stuck with non-realtime audio with no single standard. So maybe just use ASIO and hope the user can wire it up -- which means getting a Linux licenced commercial ASIO service... I think that's more possible (LGPL, IIRC).

Just my point of view as a cross-platform developer, not someone who knows ARIA Engine.

If someone desperately needs it, Sforzando works in Linux with Wine (at least in Reaper+Linreaper). Also, Zampler works too; Zampler works even with LMMS, which is Linux native app.

pljones is unfortunately correct, porting VSTs (as native apps) to Linux seems to be almost impossible and those with additional sound engines would need effort from engine makers; highly unlikely.

Numanoid wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
davidv@plogue wrote:That wasn't a contract thats for sure. :)
No, a gentleman's agreement it most def was not I understand now :(

So what you really meant to say is that it will be launched whenever next time you need some free publicity.
Talk about ungrateful.
Talk about trying to get into an argument several years later :dog:

That was like December 2013, do you want another handbag fight about that? :P
I don't own a handbag ... can I borrow one of yours?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it is going to linux, better to port it to android.

When it comes to desktop computers, looking at the numbers there are about 65 windows users for every linux user

Linux on desktop hasn't really taken off at all.

We have an iOS build in the pipes. Android, whole other ballgame :)

(very old video).. only made public in 2014, but was uploaded 19 January 2012.
Running on a lowly iPad 1!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaAojuiYQ0
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

pljones wrote:
;)
One reason I guess it won't happen for a while is that "Sforzando" is not a single DLL, it's a wrapper over ARIA Engine, which provides services for a number of front ends. So you're asking for ARIA Engine to be "compiled for Linux" as well. Now, being what it is, it's not the simplest thing to "compile for Linux".

First, you have to get a user interface. If you're going to support a native UI toolkit, you have to pick one. You then either hope it's installed on the user's system or find out if you can ship it with your commercial product. Or licence it commercially. You also have to get the ability to dynamically create a user interface in place, as that's part of how ARIA Engine (and Sforzando) work. It needs to be kept stable (despite users on Linux potentially having a myriad of different UI toolkit versions, if you didn't supply one).

Oh and then get the audio side working. For Linux, that should mean JACK, which is "upside down" compared to ASIO, so introduces another layer of difference. Of course, you're relying here absolutely on the user having a usable installation. JACK can't be shipped commercially (last time I checked, no LGPL). Or you're stuck with non-realtime audio with no single standard. So maybe just use ASIO and hope the user can wire it up -- which means getting a Linux licenced commercial ASIO service... I think that's more possible (LGPL, IIRC).

Just my point of view as a cross-platform developer, not someone who knows ARIA Engine.
It makes sense. Thank you for taking time for explanations. I won't ask again. The thing is that we are going to miss good sound libs in Aria format, unless there is a possibility to convert them to a more basic sfz flavour.

Markku wrote:If someone desperately needs it, Sforzando works in Linux with Wine (at least in Reaper+Linreaper). Also, Zampler works too; Zampler works even with LMMS, which is Linux native app. .
I know, thanks, but I try to avoid Wine, for several reasons.
Markku wrote:pljones is unfortunately correct, porting VSTs (as native apps) to Linux seems to be almost impossible and those with additional sound engines would need effort from engine makers; highly unlikely.
I thought it was true, but Abique did an astonishing work porting U-He products to Linux... see the topic in the U-HE forums.

Numanoid wrote:If it is going to linux, better to port it to android.

When it comes to desktop computers, looking at the numbers there are about 65 windows users for every linux user

Linux on desktop hasn't really taken off at all.
True, minorities must die.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
pljones wrote:
;)

First, you have to get a user interface...

Oh and then get the audio side working. For Linux, that should mean JACK, which is "upside down" compared to ASIO, so introduces another layer of difference...

Well, it is possible to get around these by making a linux VST -plugin using JUCE or something similar (http://www.juce.com/ (http://www.juce.com/)). It provides its own GUI toolkit, VST-host takes care of the audio output. Unless the audio signal processing uses closed non-multiplatform libraries and uses a cross-platform language (c++/c/c#/java ... ) it shouldn't be tough to get it to compile on linux. I'm not saying it's a trivial matter or wouldn't require an effort but it doesn't have to be harder than it is.

savu wrote: Well, it is possible to get around these by making a linux VST -plugin using JUCE or something similar (http://www.juce.com/). It provides its own GUI toolkit, VST-host takes care of the audio output. Unless the audio signal processing uses closed non-multiplatform libraries and uses a cross-platform language (c++/c/c#/java ... ) it shouldn't be tough to get it to compile on linux. I'm not saying it's a trivial matter or wouldn't require an effort but it doesn't have to be harder than it is.
Just thinking about this makes my head hurts. Sorry. Juce is not for everyone. And one does not need to like it or think it would automatically suit your purpose. Surely it is useful for someone starting out from scratch.
Porting to linux would be 1000x easier for us to do on our own, with our own C++ classes that we have been refining for the last 10 years.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Return to “Instruments”