AKAI Pro launch the Advance Keyboard Series for VST, AU ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zen

beely wrote:Relating to the discussion of synth controllers earlier - this isn't exactly what I was suggesting, but is quite interesting:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/01/midi ... oller.html

Oled labelling...
Now that is more close to what we really need.

Not sure if the Oled displays could be replaced by a simple LED display as those in Novation products or Ableton Push so they can show all the names and values (maybe you could drop the led rings if so).
dedication to flying

Big Tick wrote: You are missing something, first of all I am not *THE* code developer, as there are a lot of people involved in a product like this one. But more importantly, let's see, there about 10 major DAW's, in 32/64 bits, on Windows 7, Windows 8, and about 3 versions of OSX. Developers can't test every single feature on 100 different platforms ! That's why there is an army of testers who put the software through its paces, all day long.

About effects support, you are absolutely right. VIP stands for Virtual Instrument Player, and I believe it does that extremely well. I am also confident there will be a software update at some point, to control effects as smoothly as it controls instruments. For now, you can still control effects, as you would do with any other controller.
Well I can't buy into something that's out the door less functional than Automap, sorry. Preset browsing is cool, but not at the expense of the team of developers not working with my DAW and not having FX implemented yet. This looks like a good product, but without full functionality it's not going to compete well against the other solutions. Automap for instance is useful in the mix down phase of song writing, apparently this is not going to be useful, yet... In the video preview it shows someone browsing DAWs, so some specific functionality related to those DAWs has been implemented, and the feedback here is my DAW in particular is being tested by John Doe beta tester at best...

Oh Hey, guess what? Novation specifically tested with DP, they even show how to set up Automap with DP, crazy eh? I had no idea Novation was such a larger company than AKAI that they could afford to do in house testing on my DAW? :hihi:

Taking it personal about DP or what o.O?
:hug:

Most DP people are... :D

@machinesworking - I'm not sure why you think that Advance/VIP are anything like Automap, because it clearly isn't. Apples and oranges. So, calm down.

EvilDragon wrote:Most DP people are... :D

@machinesworking - I'm not sure why you think that Advance/VIP are anything like Automap, because it clearly isn't. Apples and oranges. So, calm down.
I'm not upset, just disappointed that AKAI are releasing something I see as not complete, another almost solution to plug in control. Others of course have a right to disagree. My statements here aren't meant to be angry or any emotion really.

It maps VSTs right? It also includes some DAW functionality if the video preview is any indicator, there is a section where the player is browsing various DAWs. That's a lot like Automap, Kore, and Komplete Control. In fact it has a plug in wrapper like Kore and Komplete Control, and to a degree Automapped plug ins.... They all have limitations of course, and asking about, going over those limitations is IMO the best part of KVR, or is it just about glossy product announcements and no substance?

Personally I was very very close to pre-ordering Advance 61, and now I think it's best for me to wait and see whether they develop it further.

machinesworking wrote:In the video preview it shows someone browsing DAWs, so some specific functionality related to those DAWs has been implemented, and the feedback here is my DAW in particular is being tested by John Doe beta tester at best...
Not your DAW in particular - all DAW's. And they're not John Doe's, they are actual people doing an enormous (and underrated) amount of work. There are more days spent testing that developing, FYI.
Personally I was very very close to pre-ordering Advance 61, and now I think it's best for me to wait and see whether they develop it further.
At least wait so you get a chance to try it out and judge based on what it actually does.

Big Tick wrote:
At least wait so you get a chance to try it out and judge based on what it actually does.
Sure, but I was I guess hoping for a more encompassing solution than what I'm being told here it can do.
This is what I understand so far:
It maps and allows you to browse presets.
It maps and controls parameters in VSTi's.
There seems to be some DAW functionality for the four or five biggest DAWs.

As far as DP is concerned, the AKAI MPK series according to owners I've talked to does not have transport functionality with DP, this is of course a set back for those looking into AKAI gear and using DP. The Advance from what I can tell doesn't seem to support transport functionality, but for instance on the website there is not the logo of a VST instrument on the Advance screen, but Ableton's logo. What is it there for?

As far as being able to actually use it in person, the amount of music stores that actually have controller keyboards hooked up to anything at all really is near zero, and I'm in Seattle, one of maybe six tech hubs in the USA. Went to a Guitar Center the other day and they actually had an Arturia controller hooked up, you could call up various presets etc. compared to the next room where Maschine was plugged in, but not working. The rest of the controllers including all of AKAI's offerings weren't plugged in at all. Another store here had Ableton Push, behind a glass display case..... Mostly as an end user I rely on videos and questioning end users on forums. Getting a chance to do much besides touch the keys on a controller before purchase isn't an option. :?

Would be nice if the manual was available to download, that would answer a lot of questions IMO.

Well here is some more info from NAMM....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ_JeSNFSI

i watched all the videos for the Advance Keyboard... there are no demos of using the VIP software in a DAW... i am concerned with overhead and maybe crashes... i.e. CPU usage... in theory this product looks pretty good... but in practice it appears not so good... did anyone go to NAMM and test this keyboard out...

Big Tick wrote: ... There are more days spent testing that developing, FYI.
It's "more than", not "more that"... that really irritates me, every time I see it...

basslinemaster wrote:It's "more than", not "more that"... that really irritates me, every time I see it...
Yeah, sorry that was a typo.

neverenoughfunk wrote:i watched all the videos for the Advance Keyboard... there are no demos of using the VIP software in a DAW... i am concerned with overhead and maybe crashes... i.e. CPU usage... in theory this product looks pretty good... but in practice it appears not so good... did anyone go to NAMM and test this keyboard out...
Check Rob King's feedback from NAMM at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... rds-5.html

@Big Tick

Workflow-wise, were you fine with loading up your instruments inside the VIP software instead of directly in your daw? Is it pretty fast once you get used to it?

Yes. Also, it's more a performance feature, but you can see it in the video, as he switches sounds across different vsti's, the previous sound doesn't cut off, it is allowed to end ringing naturally.

How would collaboration with other people work if they don't have the keyboard/VIP? You'd have to freeze/bounce every track that has VIP on it? I hope VIP will be free and not require ownership of an Advance keyboard...

Return to “Instruments”