What the heck tuning is the shredage 2 guitar in?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm no guitarist, I know the site said drop G, but I thought drop G was G C G C F A D, if its not then what is the tuning, because thats NOT the tuning my shredage 2 is playing. The bottom 4 strings are GEAD. Thats quite a bit different then a drop tuning. Thats freaking standard tuning with a low g string above it, nothing "dropped" about it. I'm a composer and I'm trying to make my parts realistic which is hard to do if I'm writing thinking its in a drop tuning and its in standard.

The tuning is: G, E, A, D, G, B, E, from lowest to highest strings. Drop tuning refers to the lowest string being tuned lower; it CAN mean other strings are changed too, but it doesn't always mean that. In any case, I would not worry too much about the tuning of the instrument. The engine does a good job of figuring out which strings and frets to use based on what you're playing. Playing a low E on the 6 string when it's in normal tuning, vs a low E on the 6 string when it's been tuned down... the difference is not noticeable!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Yeah, actual 7-string drop G tuning is supposed to be GCGCFAD... :)

Well it makes a BIG difference because some chord shapes are pretty much impossible, for example these shapes.

d----------
a----------
f-3---7---
c-5---5---
g-5---5--
c-5---5---
g----------

F C F Ab would be the notes in the first shape in what I thought the tuning was, now how would I voice that same chord?
e-
b-
g-1
d-1
a-3
e-1
g--

Thats SIGNIFICANTLY different. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I consulted several guitarist before getting the program then ALL told me that Drop G = G C G C F A D. Furthermore, chords that work in that tuning simply WILL not work. For example this chord.

d----------
a----------
f-------
c-------
g-0-----
c-0------
g-1---------

Thats impossible to play in the current tuning. The bottom 2 notes don't even exist on anything but the top string and you can't play multiple notes on the top string at once. All the "conventions" used in most of the music I listen to and write do not work in standard tuning, but a legitimate drop tuning. I mean heck, I can't even do open string chug because chugging on the bottom 2 strings since it doesn't make a chord, its GE not GD.

I mean, this guitar is in a COMPLETELY different tuning than its suppose to be, and there isn't any way I can change it to fit. Its just a normal standard guitar guitar with an low G string on it.

How the heck are the pre recorded power chords being fingered?

I'd say whether or not a chord is technically playable as represented in Shreddage 2X is semi-irrelevant, at least to a certain degree. You're not actually playing a guitar, so the fingering doesn't necessarily need to be realistic. While it can be a bit of a pain, for any notes that go lower than the lowest tuning, you simply use the tuning knob in Shreddage to down tune (12 steps available, a full octave) to allow you to play the lowest note you need. Then turn off note realism to allow for multiple notes to be played on the same string. Not an elegant solution, but it at least allows you to replicate the sound you might be looking for. You just will have an obviously impossible fingering of the chord, but it should at least sound like the chord you're looking for. This of course is an issue if you're trying to write say, a cover song based on guitar tabs.

Well, its causing one issue for me because in the style I write a lot of times they use a 2 note power chord not 3 (and sometimes they use 4). I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how the heck the guitarist if fingering the power chord off the low G.

ASN suggested - turn off note realism and you'll get your two note power chord.

The guitarist informs me that he used single-finger powerchords.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hmmm!

That would make sense only if the 6th string was tuned to D, not E...

I can't imagine thats possible in the current tuning, in fact it IS impossible, you may want to check with him again.

His clarification: "I recorded with drop-a tuning and tuned the last string lower only to sample the G and the next two strings only for that open chord."

But still, is it Real drop A or was it standard with a really low bottom string? Because without a actual drop tuning its impossible to play one finger power chords

Return to “Impact Soundworks”