Hive needs MODERN Factory Presets (Marketing tip?)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Caine123 wrote:
rod_zero wrote:Well since its clearly stated it includes only some presets for preview and NOT all the final factory library it's a bit early to pass judgement.
that's why i said it as a tip/advisement until Hive is out.
Do you think somehow they hadn't thought of this themselves considering its target market?

Rest assured that the "Local" (root) folder will contain plenty of typical EDM sounds. But of course - we'd be stupid not to do that!

Ahhh...now I get it :). Already got things going with these kinds of sounds in my latest public bank update, but it sounds like we need a lot more. Making those typical EDM patches can be a bit boring, since a lot of it is variations on the same themes. This is often why I chose to do sounds for hip hop, ambient/sci-fi and 70s/80s - more variety and freedom. However, I know EDM is what most of Hive's market will want, which is why my "EDM" folder will have the most patches. As Hive offers different unison types to work with, I've actually been enjoying it more as this project fleshes out.

I must respectfully disagree that something more simple isn't sound design, btw. While simple sounds are certainly not as fun or entertaining to create, they are very practical and tend to get used way more in popular hits. Many simpler sounds often fit better into a busy mix. Complex sounds work better in simpler mixes, otherwise the complexity of that patch can't be heard as well when you got too many other things going on on top of it. Also, most synth sounds of the 70s and 80s used synths with very limited feature sets, and there are diehard fans out there who want authenticity. A utilitarian approach to sound design has real value, even though I prefer "wow" factor and complexity personally. I had to learn that the hard way. Ultimately, it boils down to what the user is willing to pay for. I believe its not about what I want, but what the majority of users want that is most important.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

For what it's worth, the more something screams "hey look I'm modern!" the more I recon it'll sound totally dated and "of a time/genre" in one to two years time. On the other hand, the OP totally has a point. That seasonal disposable sound is exactly what's "killing it" right now, so I think it would do u-he towers the world of good to get some skilfully rendered "modern" sounds ASAP.

Oh, and another thing. GET OFF MY LAWN! :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Hive's initial hype as an EDM synth actually turned me off. As a music producer of many styles (but not EDM), based on the initial video and all the hype, I assumed that the sound of the synth would be too specialized in that area to interest me. However, as everything U-he makes is really high quality -- I own all their other synths -- I decided to download it and give it a test run.

Like pretty much everyone else, I was blown away by the fantastic sound and ease of use. Sure, the supersaw is an EDM staple, but Hive's implementation of stacked detuned voices is also fantastic for other genres. The effects section is great -- a little bit of soft distortion can give an organic, warm analog feel, the chorus is super sweet in small amounts. The fast, flexible envelopes and simple modulation scheme make sound making fast and easy.

Listen to the current OSC -- almost no EDM, but tons of other really creative, very varied tracks.

I understand that U-he does not want to market a new synth in a way that could detract interest from other products, but I think pushing the EDM angle too hard could alienate the very large community of professional producers who are interested in great new soundmaking tools - regardless of the genre.

Just the way I see it, but the trend in electronic music is towards more organic sounds

None the less, I am sure the final factory bank will have a lot of content. I personally think it's great to have HS work on there, it brings a level of sophistication to the factory bank that many will appreciate. Not knocking anyone else's work.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Knock away, I'm making teh filthy wub wubZ :P ;)
Eternitysound VST Banks

i didnt read the topic few days and pardon me that i dont express well and/or talk bad english :(!

I NEVER meant to offend any sound designer's work, that it very important that you know it and i like to have old-school/retro patches in Hive as well, but as i said those should be the subcategory FIRST!

FIRST the wub wubz, the bamm, pluck Brah sound, WOOOOOSH, piiiiieeeeeeeepp wub wub, sawing the hall etc. ;D.

start up up, instanstly havin as default bank the BAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMM :D!

and i appreciate it that i didnt make (more) enemies in this topic with my posts ;), i know that this is A PREVIEW BANK so far, but advising is not forbidden? and i know that u-he are NOT STUPID! but who knows the final result? heck, i got too many vsts and need to learn them first (normally) still i bought this cause i see how much support they give and people making sounds for it!
i also have ZEBRA, Diva, i demo'ed Bazille, Ace etc. and i have to say that the factory presets of the "modern" vsts of U-he were or are always not the OPEN MOUTH presets but more retro flavoured (which isnt bad for me) and might not be striking the potential customers AT FIRST! so maybe when you also program a synth and have 3rd party sound designers you got a different NERDY perspective (no offense), and start the launch a bit bad, tone2 overdoes it for me but maybe they do it right? announcing the synths with modern sounds and also offering (later) the more niche stuff as soundpacks ;).

check Nexus, they still sell all this "EDM" stuff very well i guess, if people in the community and kids get Hive and have a pack like an XP from Nexus and say "MANNNNNNNNN you gonna check this HIVE out, you have such awesome sounds + you just need to turn the knob here and there and already have a NEW sound, woooo awesome man, i dont need Nexus anymore" instead of having first to learn sound design to get their sounds ;).

many say the typical EDM sounds are easy, then i think it's not a prob to do 64 - 128 patches as factory default bank ;), we are the nerds here but not the typical Wub Wub customers! i worked in marketing and you have to be VERY neutrally checking the market!
cause from sound designers you dont earn much money in my opinion but the songmakers etc (i think these are many more ;)).

and for the word EDM, i still dunno what exactly EDM is, i hate the genre shit, i was raised with breakdance, love parade, rap, new wave, psytrance, d'n'b, industrial, techno overall, chillout and so on. but when i type EDM in youtube it seems it's the "Mainstream Clubmusic" oommpphh ooomph, there are also good and average people there. not my cup of tea but also not that bad ;).

hope this post was better :D and of course i generalized A LOT here..... :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aiynzahev wrote:Just the way I see it, but the trend in electronic music is towards more organic sounds.
You mean "real" sounds, or more a kind of organic analogue?
I really like electronic sounds which have a lot of variety in the timbre from velocity :phones:

db3 wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:Just the way I see it, but the trend in electronic music is towards more organic sounds.
You mean "real" sounds, or more a kind of organic analogue?
I really like electronic sounds which have a lot of variety in the timbre from velocity :phones:
As far as synthesis goes, Organic Analog.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

"Genres" used to be diverse: blues, rock, country, folk, jazz... what happened?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aiynzahev wrote: Image
What does the scale on the left mean?

Howard wrote:"Genres" used to be diverse: blues, rock, country, folk, jazz... what happened?
Howard, please re-read my posts.... of course this is great and those can be or are included, or additionally should be included as soundsets etc. but i wasa PRIORITIZING the first impressions when starting the VST for the mass consumers not the niche ones..... ;). Heck i will buy Mulperi's soundset asap when it's out, 80s to go!
also will get more from you when you make more sets!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “u-he”