Drumdrops! How did I not know?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just in case there is anyone else out there who weren't aware of this company, I recently bought the best Ludwig kit I've heard from Drumdrops.
I've been chasing my tail trying to get a nice chunky vintage sound that still works in contemporary songs also. I've bought various Native Instruments kits and I own EZdrummer and a few EZXs. They're great but they don't make me feel quite as special as this-
http://www.drumdrops.com/drum-samples/v ... e-drum-kit

I figure if I hadn't heard of them, others may not have.

I'm not in any way affiliated with anyone involved, just a very happy (admittedly gushing) customer!

I bought the Kontakt pack. Presets are brilliant!

drumdrops, I remember them from late 80's early 90's; drum tracks on cd I believe..

I believe that might be how the company started. They still have a fairly extensive loop library. Not really my thing.
But the sampled Ludwig kit is the best I've used.

Their Gretsch kit has the best deeply sampled dampened snare sound I've heard. Excellent customer support as well.

Their Gretsch kit has the best deeply sampled dampened snare sound I've heard. Excellent customer support as well.

The Gretsch kit is next on my list when I get some spare cash. 4 snares- can't wait!
I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to spend any more money on drum libraries but these are necessary exceptions.

I can also attest to the speed of customer support.

Long live these smaller low cost developers!- Klanghelm, Valhalla DSP, Sound dust and now Drumdrops. They've made the last 12 months very productive.

Drumdrops sound libraries are outstanding. I'm a huge fan of their Kontakt packs, the dub kit being my favorite drum sample library of all time.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

I think I might buy all these. Do they sell all their kits as some kind of mega bundle? Also did anybody see on their site the specs as far as how many velocity layers and round robin and stuff?

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Found all the info. Guess I've got some drums to buy.

JJ

Don't think you'll regret it.
Let me know what you think of the other libraries if you do end up buying a bunch.
Particularly that Gretsch!
Wish I had a bit more money to throw around at the moment.
Food and mortgage, or drum libraries... hmm.

Grabbed the dub kit the Gretch and the ringo. I won't have time to play with them tonight but I'll let you know. Also they give you a voucher form20% off your first purchase regardless of how many libraries you get when you set up an account. They also give you a cut down version of the yamaha library and some loops and multitrack drum parts. I spoke back and forth with the guy a bit as well and they are perfectly willing to give decent discounts if you are picking up more than a couple libraries.

I'm super stoked to play with these especially since addictive drums 2 has been acting up on me lately.

JJ

I used the 20% voucher but I didn't even think to use it for multiple purchases. Probably couldn't have stretched to more than one this paycheck anyway. Children to feed, bills to pay. Maybe fee the bills to the children? Worth pondering.

I have the Ringo but I'd like to hear what you think of the Gretsch and the Dub kits. Although at this point I've already decided I'll buy them. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through your review until they're mine!

If you want to pick up multiple packs at the same time contact them beforehand. They are super cool and can work out a bundle deal for you. I've been playing with these all day along with my new audio interface. They are as good as any other drum library I've ever used and that's a lot. I've bought every major "realistic" drum package since bfd 1. I think I'll end up owning all of these before too long.

They remind me of the NI abbey road sets with way more personality and a much more versatile set of mix presets.

JJ

Ah_Dziz wrote:They remind me of the NI abbey road sets with way more personality and a much more versatile set of mix presets.

JJ
This is exactly my experience with their Super Ludwig Kit. I liked and frequently used Abbey Road 60s in the past but it took a lot of tweaking to get where I needed it. The default Drumdrops preset is already sounds fantastic! In comparison the NI kits just sound flatter and thinner to me. I'm sure I will still find some use for them, but it's gong to be hard not to automatically head straight to the Drumdrops folder.

The NI 70s 80s and Vintage kits are pretty spectacular. The 70s kit it way more like what I wanted the 60s kit to be. I use them quite often(now that I've taken the time to build myself a good set of mix setups that have the flavor I need), but mostly use AD 2 as it already has hundreds of presets that cover most of my needs with a mild amount of tweaking. That may change now though since the AD2 update is pretty shakes and buggy compared to v1 and Kontakt is the most stable platform around in my experience.
As a disclaimer I do use most of this stuff in a "make it sound dated and dirty" context as I'm often called on to do period type music in my jobs and I love making my own fake "breakbeats" to chop up and use in my own electronic creations. I will say that the few times I've needed the sound of a studio kit for a straightforward rock or pop track, that pretty much all these products have fit the bill amazingly. We are truly spoiled for choices when it comes to drums these days (and basses). I can't wait for sampled guitars to catch up. There are some amazing ones on the market but not really the amount of variety one needs to have a full palette that can cover all the styles you might need to.

JJ

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”