When will we see the first Virtual Reality DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When will we see the first Virtual Reality DAW? where you can put a helmet on and be in all sorts of virtual environments while recording? almost limitless potential?

I would love a virtual mixer :D oh and virtual synth knobs!!!

Microsoft has announced this together with Windows 10:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

It's called Microsoft HoloLens and looks like it will will run Windows 10 on it.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

You won't.
It'll see you first......
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Is it healthy?

If not I don't want one. :P
Can this thread be erased?
Im tired of the fanboys and the clueless know it alls.

But we haven't even dealt with multi touch audio apps on desktop properly yet!

Probably another 10 years, if there's no market for it it won't happen
Amazon: why not use an alternative

memyselfandus wrote:When will we see the first Virtual Reality DAW? where you can put a helmet on and be in all sorts of virtual environments while recording? almost limitless potential?
And how exactly do you envisage 'being in all sorts of virtual environments while recording' having any impact on the use of a DAW?

People really outta stop thinking that better immersive vision somehow makes VR applicable for everything. It doesnt; you need the controller side of things as well, and despite the hype surrounding goggle/headset displays that is not even close to consumer-ready for VR yet.

VR headsets dont work with real-life controls unless you never take your hands off them (ie as per VR games/controllers). And take it from me, trying to use completely virtual controllers is feckin useless without tactile feedback of some type.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Can't have a decent recording without feedback....
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC9uHHAEuA

this would be a perfect project for that. Sadly seems to not make any progress.

(giggle)

Can you imagine......a "virtual reality daw" :lol:

A reality TV DAW show would come first. :scared:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

a VRDAW :)

Qantas are doing some world first with samsung trialing VR for 3 months of first class flights, where one can watch movies and do all their in flight stuff via VR goggles. So the tech is getting there.. That actually could be an amazing experience being totally immersed in a DAW.. i reckon it might really work to aid composition and mixing.. i'm keen! Will be following this idea with interest.

...To revive an old thread.

Now it seems like a joke, Soundstage and whatwever are still so crude.

But one day in the not too distant future standing in a virtual reality studio will be pretty much than visiting a synth nerd´s carage studio.

Full body tracking especially for hands must be super accurate, I´m not suer about physical feedback, I think our brains are pretty flexible. But that would help of course.

But basically super high resolutions together with highly accurate finger tracking will allow us to have finally virtual instruments ;)

I think for song sequencing the advantage is not so evident, but luckily we don´t have to be in VR all the time. But for the sound design, mixing and production stage this could make things so much easier. Instead of clicking windows open and closed repeatedly (when a project has dozens of VSTs loaded) we could have it all just floating in front of us.

And of course augmented reality would be the thing, having a desk besides us, where we could place and remove keyboards and desktop devices at will.

This will be so much more flexible, that the move into VR will be evident sooner, but probablt later, I believe.

I don't really see VR in music production being more than a fad. In most serious circumstances, you want things to be simple and quick so that we can be productive. Adding VR just overcomplicates things and turns it into more of a toy than something for serious production as it would be a solution to problems that don't exist.

In addition, VR introduces a need for much higher resource usage. Many of us are already pushing the limits of our workstations even with i7's and 64GB of RAM.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”