miniBit - 8-bit/Chiptune Synth - v1.6.5 - Custom Waveform Editor!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
miniBit

To be honest, I didn't think this synth was up to much before the stepper was added. Chiptune sounds typically don't alias - especially square and pulse waves made by old soundchips are pure and should be bandlimited. WITH the stepper, it really opens things up though. If you accept the fuzzy sound as just part of the effect of the instrument, it's quite pleasant. And not many synths let you easily set up this kind of stepping through waveforms/pitches. It opens up a lot of Hubbard style synth effects.

I would strongly recommend expanding the stepper to include a loop point. That way you could make looped textures with a defined attack (setting loop step to, say, 2 would create 1234567823456782345678, etc), or you could create a one-shot by setting the loop point to 8 (12345678888888, etc). The latter would open up SID style kicks and snares, not to mention the classic "octave blip", where the first one or two frames are played an octave higher than the rest of the note (or play on a different wave, etc)

At a push, I'd also recommend at least 12 steps, though I think you could squeeze out drums with only 8 at a push. 16 would be ideal :)

The stepper is also preferable for volume envelopes, so expanding the number of steps would open up possibilities here. A rough envelope made from discreet steps sounds infinitely more "chippy" than a regular, smooth ADSR. The difference is night and day.

Adding that functionality would render the need for a drumkit moot. I'll personally supply some drum patches in that case.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Well, the drum idea is very good, ofcourse i supply some patches again if you add something like this, the next thing you should add is a second envelope for the filter, some other filter types like Bandpass and high pass filter and, make it possible to switch them through the stepper...!

Another thing we're in the need is a stop command in the stepper, for example let's add a "FF" command and the stepper stop, so you can make all these great arpeggio like chord sounds better because they are often using only 3 different steps instead of 8...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Sendy wrote:Chiptune sounds typically don't alias - especially square and pulse waves made by old soundchips are pure and should be bandlimited.
This depends on the chip or system used. Some of the waves included in miniBit were done and edited with my Amiga A1200 and they always alias on higher notes.
Sendy wrote:I would strongly recommend expanding the stepper to include a loop point.
That's a good idea. Added to the todo list.
Xenox.AFL wrote:the next thing you should add is a second envelope for the filter, some other filter types like Bandpass and high pass filter and, make it possible to switch them through the stepper...!
All good ideas, the second envelope is definitely on high priority, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure when I will be able to deliver the next update. I'll probably need a month or two.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Sendy wrote:To be honest, I didn't think this synth was up to much before the stepper was added
Gotta disagree with you, the stepper is a nice add on, but the original version was and is still perfect for that lo-fi BOC sound

The added stepper moves it into Berlin School territory, run the sequencer, click on the randomizers, and tweak away 8)

Sendy wrote:Chiptune sounds typically don't alias - especially square and pulse waves made by old soundchips are pure and should be bandlimited.
audiothing wrote:This depends on the chip or system used. Some of the waves included in miniBit were done and edited with my Amiga A1200 and they always alias on higher notes.
You can't compare Paula with the beautiful old chips like the Sid which generate pure waveforms. The SID is really an analogue synth on a chip with Osc, filter, ADSR. The Amiga had 2 stereo 8 bit DACs, that was it. So Sendy is right with his statement. Chiptunes with aliasing are meehhh.. :D
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I came in judging it from a chiptune purist perspective. In my experience it didn't match up for that, but it's a fun lofi synth and the stepper really pushes it into chip territory.

Here's an example of the type of chiptune sound that the stepper is essential for. For a variant, change all the waves to square wave and the +7s to +12s. This is one of the key components to Hubbard's "Monty on the Run" soundtrack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I came in judging it from a chiptune purist perspective
I am also a c64 freak born and bred, but this is also how it can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVxe3TDbNY

valerian_777 wrote:You can't compare Paula with the beautiful old chips like the Sid which generate pure waveforms.
No, I didn't want to compare them. miniBit is not a C64 emulation or any other specific console emulation. It was just inspired by that "era" :)

However I do get the point about pure chiptune.
Sendy wrote:Here's an example of the type of chiptune sound that the stepper is essential for. For a variant, change all the waves to square wave and the +7s to +12s. This is one of the key components to Hubbard's "Monty on the Run" soundtrack.
Awesome patch, I love it! Thanks for sharing.
Numanoid wrote:I am also a c64 freak born and bred, but this is also how it can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVxe3TDbNY
Fantastic! That's a really rare card.
I recently got a SD2IEC for my C64 to read SD cards, but I still have to find time to play with it.

I like the sound of miniBit and i don't care if it's a emulation of something, if it's sounds good, it's good.

As a old C64 User and musician i do know the wavetable from the original C64 and i thought it increases the flexibility of the plugin a lot so i explained Carlo what i have in my mind...

One new feature idea, to make very cool Basslines, like on the good and old C64, glide should be working, too when you use the stepper...

*selfpromotion on*

I did factory sounds and a free bank for the good and old HardSID, too, the HardSID is a USB device holding up max. 4 original SID chips, you can play real C64 tracks with it and you can use it as a synthesizer in your DAW.

More infos and the download link on my website...

Here is a little sounddemo using glide and pitch which sounds a bit different to the miniBit, i like those fat pitch glide filter bass sounds... :D

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/fn-har ... reset-demo

*selfpromotionoff*
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Thanks for the kind words Frank. The patches for the HardSID are great. Good job!

A small reminder: just a few hours left to get miniBit for €16 / $19.60 (instead of €20 / $24.00).
Last edited by audiothing on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you, i hope it inspired you to make updates for miniBit in the future...!

Frank

Hi Carlo,

I just purchased miniBit. Just wanted to let you know you are on the right path with your plugin development (especially with native 64bit vst support). I really like what I'm hearing. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to your future releases. :)

Xenox.AFL wrote:Thank you, i hope it inspired you to make updates for miniBit in the future...!
Absolutely! I won't stop working on it :)
TheKid wrote:Hi Carlo,

I just purchased miniBit. Just wanted to let you know you are on the right path with your plugin development (especially with native 64bit vst support). I really like what I'm hearing. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to your future releases. :)
Thank you very much! There's still a lot to learn but all these positive feedbacks are really pushing me to do more. :)

Couldn't resist!
2 mins playing with it before I have to dash out, but it's great fun so far! The stepper is brill!
My Blog
Stett Audio on SoundCloud.

roland_rock wrote:Couldn't resist!
2 mins playing with it before I have to dash out, but it's great fun so far! The stepper is brill!
Thank you and enjoy :)

Return to “Instruments”