Alternatives, alternatives, alternatives (for Alchemy)

Official support for: patchpool.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kalamata Kid wrote: Should Home Grown Sounds http://hgsounds.com/product-category/kontakt/ be in this list.
I can't vouch for their Kontakt banks but have their Virtual CZ patch bank and it is great. I own a CZ101 though which makes it worth more to me.
The examples above are all distinguished by their ability to stretch the functionality of Kontakt with specially coded interfaces and interesting source material. K5 is great if you want to go in that direction.
I am only interested in synths that allow me to use my samples as sound source.
I am generally not into percussion.
You can load your samples into Kontakt, and make your own banks, though it's not intuitive and I found it wasn't especially rewarding.
MachFive3 (and Padshop Pro to a certain degree) allows you to go to town mangling and layering your samples. Aside from owning one of Simon's M5 banks I only use my own samples in it.

secretkillerofnames wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote: Perhaps you or someone can steer me in the direction of third party instrument to use in Kontakt 5 that might help my music making style. Or perhaps at present abandon Kontakt 5 for this purpose and use Absynth. A bit confused what else to use of the Komplete 8 arsenal if I do not get MachFive.
The one thing Kontakt is great for is affordable libraries compiled by genuine enthusiasts. I'm not sure if any of this connects with your style but I would recommend anything by:
Hollow Sun (especially the Alien Devices and Music Laboratory Machines)
Synth Magic (Phobos is amazing)
Hideaway Studios (Synergenesis is unique and the Orbitone collections are some of the best "string synth" sounds i've heard)
Tronsonic (System 1000m!)
I have Phobos and Synergenesis, Both are great.
Looking at picking up two of the Hollow Sun offerings now.
I generally stay away from the 'synths within' the Kontakt engine, but these seem pretty unique.

I got both MACH V and Halion 5, there both big resources but after having them both for a year I think MACH V is just more user friendly and strangely has 3rd party material for it while Halion 5 seems like a closed system. My money then would be on MACH V if I could only have one. Now I have both so it does not matter.

Kontakt always seemed to have small and cramped interface that before I got my super reading glasses made it a no go, now it doesn't matter so much so eventually I will get Konakt as well. Considering the many hours of work it takes to make sound banks and instruments and the high cost of the banks, I don't think limiting yourself to only one makes any sense..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I got both MACH V and Halion 5, there both big resources but after having them both for a year I think MACH V is just more user friendly and strangely has 3rd party material for it while Halion 5 seems like a closed system. My money then would be on MACH V if I could only have one. Now I have both so it does not matter.

Kontakt always seemed to have small and cramped interface that before I got my super reading glasses made it a no go, now it doesn't matter so much so eventually I will get Konakt as well. Considering the many hours of work it takes to make sound banks and instruments and the high cost of the banks, I don't think limiting yourself to only one makes any sense..
I'm not the biggest fan of the Kontakt UI, but I have gotten use to it. Two things about it. You can grab a corner and resize it, and in the settings you can set it to 'large font' which helps quite a bit.

BBFG# wrote:You can grab a corner and resize it...
Which doesn't resize the actual working space, only the browser area which is silly, so the resize function doesn't exist really, all the crucial editing areas have a fixed size. M5/H5 are fully resizable.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
BBFG# wrote:You can grab a corner and resize it...
Which doesn't resize the actual working space, only the browser area which is silly, so the resize function doesn't exist really, all the crucial editing areas have a fixed size. M5/H5 are fully resizable.
True, although stretching the area seems to help a little. Changing the font size is the real trick.
I haven't scratched all the settings on HAL5 yet though, so it's been basically the same size since I first installed it. Now that you mention it though, I'll be looking to do that on my next session with it. :)

BBFG# wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote: Perhaps you or someone can steer me in the direction of third party instrument to use in Kontakt 5 that might help my music making style. Or perhaps at present abandon Kontakt 5 for this purpose and use Absynth. A bit confused what else to use of the Komplete 8 arsenal if I do not get MachFive.
The one thing Kontakt is great for is affordable libraries compiled by genuine enthusiasts. I'm not sure if any of this connects with your style but I would recommend anything by:
Hideaway Studios (Synergenesis is unique and the Orbitone collections are some of the best "string synth" sounds i've heard)
I generally stay away from the 'synths within' the Kontakt engine, but these seem pretty unique.
Even though I am looking for ways to use Kontakt 5 since I already have it, it will take a very special third party Kontakt instrument to begin to use it on a daily basis. I have never felt comfortable using it, very likely from my lack experience but under the right circumstances I will play with it. For the time being MachFive 3 is the way to go for me but I am in no rush to get it.

Checked these out and they seem good for the price they are asking.

Synergenesis https://hideawaystudio.wordpress.com/20 ... ergenesis/

Phobos 2 http://www.synthmagic.co.uk/phobos-ii.html#detailsph

The help offered here will save me form going down dark dangerous dead end allies looking for the right VSTi.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
Even though I am looking for ways to use Kontakt 5 since I already have it, it will take a very special third party Kontakt instrument to begin to use it on a daily basis. I have never felt comfortable using it, very likely from my lack experience but under the right circumstances I will play with it. For the time being MachFive 3 is the way to go for me but I am in no rush to get it.

Checked these out and they seem good for the price they are asking.

Synergenesis https://hideawaystudio.wordpress.com/20 ... ergenesis/

Phobos 2 http://www.synthmagic.co.uk/phobos-ii.html#detailsph

The help offered here will save me form going down dark dangerous dead end allies looking for the right VSTi.
Picked up the two from Hollow Sun. Both are good but the one I'm enjoying the most is "Pulstar".
http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/alien_devi ... /index.htm

Hey Simon. :)

Just out of curiosity, is the interest in finding an alternative due to Alchemy no longer being developed, or is there some issue with creating new patches for it, that some how relates to the current/new "installer" routine/parameters?

Seems to me, there has always been far more Alchemy owners who do not "roll-their-own", and thus, have and will {perhaps} continue to expand their 'palette' beyond their currently owned libraries, through third parties.

~S~
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:Hey Simon. :)

Just out of curiosity, is the interest in finding an alternative due to Alchemy no longer being developed, or is there some issue with creating new patches for it, that some how relates to the current/new "installer" routine/parameters?

Seems to me, there has always been far more Alchemy owners who do not "roll-their-own", and thus, have and will {perhaps} continue to expand their 'palette' beyond their currently owned libraries, through third parties.

~S~
Errr, for me, Alchemy is a dead camel now, it's all been mentioned in this thread I think, but I can mention it again in a short version. I was hoping for version 2 because I refuse to continue working in a clumsy, actually non-existent sample editor which doesn't even support crossfade looping, a spectral editor which is unsuable (and only plays mono files) for serious spectral work and a granulator/sample engine which clearly shows it's age sound- and feature-wise.

As awesome and unique as Alchemy is and was due to it's modulation- and morphing system and the combination of additive/spectral resynthesis with sample playback/granulation and VA, it's not a perspective for me anymore, to spend more time and money on creating more content for it. It'll be gone in a few years as it will stop working on new OSes (preferably on Mac which I only use) and I'm trying to develop sounds which last at least for more than 2 years to come.

I've found my alternatives for now and will try to push certain developers in a direction that suit my needs/dreams/ideas, and maybe one day I'll develop my own hybrid instrument/platform.

Sampleconstruct wrote: I've found my alternatives for now and will try to push certain developers in a direction that suit my needs/dreams/ideas, and maybe one day I'll develop my own hybrid instrument/platform
Now we will have to bug you to do so on an hourly basis. I am sure it will be a instrument to die for. But then again what is the point of dying and not being able to play with it. :roll:

BBFG# wrote:
Picked up the two from Hollow Sun. Both are good but the one I'm enjoying the most is "Pulstar".
http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/alien_devi ... /index.htm
It sound very good. For me I need to be able to import my own audio samples an use then as the sound source.

Now if Simon will only make an Alchemy/Absynth/Machfive/Iris/Serum VSTi that will be wonderful.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: I've found my alternatives for now and will try to push certain developers in a direction that suit my needs/dreams/ideas, and maybe one day I'll develop my own hybrid instrument/platform
Now we will have to bug you to do so on an hourly basis. I am sure it will be a instrument to die for. But then again what is the point of dying and not being able to play with it. :roll:
Could we maybe agree on a monthly nag? Hourly seems a bit steep. I won't tackle this endeavor this year, I have too many other things planned including 3rd party work, but the future seems bright.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:Hey Simon. :)

~S~
Errr, for me, Alchemy is a dead camel now, it's all been mentioned in this thread I think, but I can mention it again in a short version. I was hoping for version 2 because I refuse to continue working in a clumsy, actually non-existent sample editor which doesn't even support crossfade looping, a spectral editor which is unsuable (and only plays mono files) for serious spectral work and a granulator/sample engine which clearly shows it's age sound- and feature-wise.

As awesome and unique as Alchemy is and was due to it's modulation- and morphing system and the combination of additive/spectral resynthesis with sample playback/granulation and VA, it's not a perspective for me anymore, to spend more time and money on creating more content for it. It'll be gone in a few years as it will stop working on new OSes (preferably on Mac which I only use) and I'm trying to develop sounds which last at least for more than 2 years to come.

I've found my alternatives for now and will try to push certain developers in a direction that suit my needs/dreams/ideas, and maybe one day I'll develop my own hybrid instrument/platform.
Ah, thank you. :) Yes, {sadly} I concur with all of all of this, from my own {at times frustrating} experience with Alchemy's "limitations", and was likewise 'hopeful' that its strengths would be enhanced through further development. {sigh}

I wish all the Camel 'crew', well. And look forward to YOUR 'development' endeavors. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It's really a little sad MachFive 3 is so ignored. I suppose the ilok no demo thing just puts people off. The price is reduced considerably with the cross grade offer.

After returning to producing ITB after a 5 year absence, it was no question for me personally, so deep yet intuitive. My mind boggles with possibilities.

Stability is excellent here with Logic Pro X.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel there may be no V4.

Apart from Simons demo's there is not a single piece of decent media demonstrating the potential of this instrument.

Return to “patchpool”