Cannot record volume automation data from VST plug-in

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been trialling the demo of Hornet AutoGain Pro VST plug-in with the latest version of Tracktion 5.3 and have been unable to record the volume automation data that it is generating. I've loaded the plug-in into a rack filter, wired it up and applied it to a vocal track - with a second track used as its reference input. I can see (and hear) the plug-in working, but when I put it into write mode, click the automation record button next to the play button and then press the play button none of the volume automation data that the plug-in is apparently producing is captured. Is this a known bug with Tracktion or is there some other set up I need to do?

It is working ok here (OSX).
To show the automation you need to click the little 'a', next to the plugin area and select 'Active parameter curves'.

frankvg - I'm also using OS X Mavericks. Are you saying you can successfully record volume automation generated by a VST plug-in?

Yes, I specifically tested this Hornet Autogain plugin. It seems to work as advertised although the recorded automation isn't as detailed as expected from the cursor movement.

frankvg wrote:It seems to work as advertised although the recorded automation isn't as detailed as expected from the cursor movement.
If the automation data was written too often many hosts would start to suffer since the automation is written from the GUI thread and it is not supposed to be a very high priority thread. This comes straight from the AutoGain Pro source:

Code: Select all

mSamplesWriteAutomation = GetSampleRate()*0.1;
So AutoGain Pro writes automation every 100ms, i think it's fast enough to be useful and not stress the host.

Then if you want to talk about the jungle that is the VST (and AU for that matter) in this context, I'm open :) just for example, every host that i tested accept automation from the audio thread but one!
Then some hosts use all the automation data sent, others decide to discard something if the automation comes too often....

Saverio
hornetplugins.com

andibat wrote:I've loaded the plug-in into a rack filter, wired it up and applied it to a vocal track - with a second track used as its reference input.
I've just bought a few Hornet Plugs on their Black Friday deal. (Finishes soon..) Could you tell me how you've set AutoGain up in a rack? Thanks.

BobM.

Drop it in a rack; let it auto-connect.

One instance on the reference track:
Left input goes to 3. reference track L
Right input goes to 4. reference track R

One instance on the track that will be auto-gained.
Left input goes to 1. main input L
Right input goes to 2. main input R

frankvg wrote:Drop it in a rack; let it auto-connect.

One instance on the reference track:
Left input goes to 3. reference track L
Right input goes to 4. reference track R

One instance on the track that will be auto-gained.
Left input goes to 1. main input L
Right input goes to 2. main input R
So, it's a racked auto connected instance of Autogain on the reference channel, and the same again on the target channel, connected as above. Will have a go at that tomorrow, many thanks.

BobM.

Post re-submitted in a new topic

Return to “Tracktion”