Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Life is tough, kid.

You clearly aren't into rational reasoning, so I'm probably wasting my breath/fingers, but I don't see how Alchemy is worthless because you can't buy additional add-on presets. Sure it's a shame, but sh!t happens, deal with it and move on.

beely wrote:(major new version was coming out imminently)

- No major new version coming out for sale (so you can't choose to buy a product/upgrade that doesn't exist)
Problem is, it was coming out imminently (or thereabouts), and it does exist. Betatesters were sniffing for bugs and sound designers were making sounds, the user base has been expecting it for at least the last two years. The Camel team was communicating with users in a friendly and business-as-usual manner until the very last day.

But customers are not Ben's bitch either. That's why this situation and the silence are hard to swallow .

Hunter says he knows Ben and that he's not dead, nor has he sold out for an 8-figure sum. What then? Only thing left is legal issues. That's the only thing that could stop the camels from giving an explanation. You want confirmation? :arrow:
Hunter wrote: Sure it's a shame, but sh!t happens, deal with it and move on.
Last edited by scintillator on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter wrote:Life is tough, kid.

You clearly aren't into rational reasoning, so I'm probably wasting my breath/fingers, but I don't see how Alchemy is worthless because you can't buy additional add-on presets. Sure it's a shame, but sh!t happens, deal with it and move on.
Excuse me? I'm not into rational reasoning? Considering that the day I was actually going to buy Alchemy after demoing it (yes, THAT day) I was told "Sorry, you lose. Thanks for playing" I'm being pretty rational. But I was one of the lucky ones. Imagine the poor schmuck who made his buying decision the day before based on reviews, company history as far as support, libraries, and other factors outside of the synth itself, only to find out the very next day that ALL OF THAT goes right out the window.

Life is tough? God, I hope you don't run a business that I ever need.

The decent thing to do would have been to make an announcement that CA was shutting down in 6 months. Until that time, we will still offer support and sales. So that way, John Doe could have at least had the option of deciding if he wanted to invest in a company that was going out of business in 6 months time. This way, he's offered no option.

I'm sorry but there isn't anything that anybody can say that will have me believe that the way this was handled was even close to being the right thing to do.

OK I shouldn't have bitten, but it's a slow Friday afternoon here.

I guess you are still missing my point, but I don't think I'm going to manage to make you see it.

And by saying deal with it and move on, I'm just saying, this thing has happened, and it looks like we are going to have to roll with it. So as I say, these things happen, and life is tough. At least we can still download all our stuff.
Hunter says he knows Ben and that he's not dead, nor has he sold out for an 8-figure sum. What then? Only thing left is legal issues. That's the only thing that could stop the camels from giving an explanation. You want confirmation?
I'm not confirming anything. You forgot aliens.

Hunter wrote:OK I shouldn't have bitten, but it's a slow Friday afternoon here.

I guess you are still missing my point, but I don't think I'm going to manage to make you see it.

And by saying deal with it and move on, I'm just saying, this thing has happened, and it looks like we are going to have to roll with it. So as I say, these things happen, and life is tough. At least we can still download all our stuff.
Hunter says he knows Ben and that he's not dead, nor has he sold out for an 8-figure sum. What then? Only thing left is legal issues. That's the only thing that could stop the camels from giving an explanation. You want confirmation?
I'm not confirming anything. You forgot aliens.
Yeah, I know life is tough. I know stuff happens. I've lost jobs because companies went belly under. But you know what? They at least gave us an explanation. Business was bad. We were bought out. Whatever. To close doors like that without any explanation is just wrong. And giving Ben the benefit of the doubt that he's a decent person, the only thing that makes sense is an NDA where the buying company basically said "Say one word beyond <whatever> and the deal is off." Otherwise, why the silence?

Does he think we wouldn't understand any of the following?

Illness
New VAT laws
Legal issues with patents
Just tired of the rat race

Anything we would understand. At least it would give us some kind of closure.

But the silence? You tell me I can't think rationally? The only thing that makes any rational sense from just a pure human decency standpoint is that he simply has been told to shut his mouth.

Nothing else makes any logical sense unless he simply doesn't care about any of his customers.

Well, NDA is the most popular theory in this thread for just that reason.

At least a "We can't say anything at the moment" would have been well possible. This is just bad style i wouldn't expect from a company like this. No "We can't say anything" would break any NDA. And if the company who bought Camel Audio would really insist that even that is forbidden, then i wonder what a bootlickery they expect from their future employers, ridiculous.

And that is why I'm saying life is tough. This is the way it has happened.

Hunter wrote:Well, NDA is the most popular theory in this thread for just that reason.
People don't seem to understand that one too well; or don't want to.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

"In what universe is that fair or right?"

The one we live in? The one where millions die for no real reason of disease, povery or war. That one.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

chk071 wrote:No "We can't say anything" would break any NDA. And if the company who bought Camel Audio would really insist that even that is forbidden
... then it implies that the company that bought CA does not plan any kind of relaunch "under new name" and is, in fact, merely interested in obtaining technology, knowledge and smart employees for whatever *other* future products. And yes, there are such NDAs, but only by a certain kind of companies.

NI would want to cash in on the good name of CA and Alchemy, they are smart enough to have launched a huge "SOON! ALKEMY 2 NOW WITH MORE EDM" campaign with loads of wobble sound video teasers by now.

And Apple? They will use the core technology to include a "Logic Grain Designer" in Logic XI and they will not sell one license less just because a few Alchemy users are pissed off.

(Anyway, I reckon if it´s truly the Apple route and CA are working on a new plugin for Logic XI, then CA will try to sneak a "import legacy library" function in there and they´ll get away with it. They may even include 8, 10 GB of their finest sounds with the new plugin. Just sayin´...)

Camel either cannot, or will not say anything right now for whatever reasons. Bitching at KvR will not change that.

Find something more important to worry about.

How about those real camels?
It's a tough life in the desert, you know!
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Kriminal wrote:Camel either cannot, or will not say anything right now for whatever reasons. Bitching at KvR will not change that.

Find something more important to worry about.
this

Thing about a "we can't say anything at the moment" is it implies that this may not be the end, that there's some exciting info coming and we just have to wait. Instead, what has been clearly stated is that CamelAudio is no more and their products are no longer for sale.

If the IP has been bought by another company and they intend using the existing code, well then its up to this new company to announce that fact if and when they choose. It is not Ben's place to say anything about the property or intentions of this company, all he can do is talk about the state of his own business, which will be officially closed on the date given.
Last edited by mutantdog on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”