Finally a new modular! (But it's in M4L)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like it. Reminds me of Mux. I think I will try it out. Demo sounds OK, apart from that obligatory Sylenth1 acid squelch. Oh yeah, gotta have that one. Oh yeah. :D

ariston wrote:Live is not really the king of optimization.
Finally bought Live 9 in mid 2014. Man do I hate this thing. :lol:

So much potential, but it is a constant crashfest, lets me get 2 to 3 minutes into a complex project and then nothing will stay in synch... Not even with an "export" (Render?). Probably has something to do with my lack of CPU power, so I have hopes of getting it to work.

For now it's just a sound design tool in my arsenal, and for that it's amazing and works quite well. But for playing in sections one at a time "live" - never was something so inappropriately named. Ha ha!

The modular M4L instrument looks fantastic though. :love:

Aiynzahev wrote:It's not free no. $100 is fine, it's niche after-all.
I meant that BEAP is free from Cycling74 and covers most of what this does: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/beap-po ... -max-live/

$100 is indeed fine for niche, but it's also a proprietary format. KarmaFX is a couple of dollars more and runs as a VST. But that's just my take. BEAP is all I need for tinkering.

I don't know, dude. Much as I love BEAP the average synth user isn't going to surf to GITHUB and go through all the material there. It's two different markets. BEAP, though, is great as a teaching tool, no doubt about it.

Codestation wrote:
ariston wrote:Live is not really the king of optimization.
Finally bought Live 9 in mid 2014. Man do I hate this thing. :lol:

So much potential, but it is a constant crashfest, lets me get 2 to 3 minutes into a complex project and then nothing will stay in synch... Not even with an "export" (Render?). Probably has something to do with my lack of CPU power, so I have hopes of getting it to work.
Wow, that sounds bad. How old IS your computer?

At a rough estimate, Reaper is about 20-40% more efficient on my machine, depending on the number of tracks and plugins, obviously. Which is why I do my mixing in Reaper. Live can't handle Satson, Satin and Ozone all at once on 10-15 tracks/buses.

I'm sure there are reasons for this, but I'm not a programmer. But it does make me a bit sceptical where something as complex as a modular is concerned.

Is this similar to MUX?

Examigan wrote:Is this similar to MUX?
MUX can also load any VST, VSTi ,Rewire etc. and make them part of the modular environment with specific modules to access many of their parameters.
But I guess you know all this already if you know the MUX.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

This is excellent, reminds me of my Nord G2 but has more capabilities such as granular modules.

liquidsound wrote:
MUX can also load any VST, VSTi ,Rewire etc. and make them part of the modular environment with specific modules to access many of their parameters.
I just got Mux recently and am still diving into it but OMG, that is so awesome. I haven't gotten that far into it yet but yeah, it loads any VST DLL.

Okay, this just got REALLY interesting. :D

liquidsound wrote:
Yes I have MUX, I was just wondering about this other product. :)

liquidsound wrote:
Are you referring to Mux within Mulab, as opposed to the VST version of Mux?

VST version doesnt do ReWire
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I use the one in MuLab for Rewire. I haven't tried the VST for Rewire yet.
Probably not...
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Some very quick impressions running this in Live 9 on Yosemite:
  • It can take quite a while (15-20 seconds) to load up an instrument for the first time (especially one with many modules). For the same instrument, changing presets is quick (obviously, since modules are the same).
  • Oscillot is rock solid on Yosemite (Macbook Pro 15” late 2013 model). Not a single crash in the four or five hours I’ve been playing with it.
  • Beyond four or five active voices it becomes a bit of a CPU hog.
  • Wouldn’t work with Max 7 (at least for me). Had to revert to Max 6.1.
  • Very intuitive to use. If you’re used to a modular environment like Mux then this should be easy to get accustomed to.
All in all a blast to use, i.e. being able to build Max instruments without having to get out of the Live environment. Not as many modules as I would have liked (esp. oscillators) but I am told that they’re coming in future updates. There is a module list here http://maxforlive.com/library/device/27 ... lar-system

Nightpolymath wrote:Some very quick impressions running this in Live 9 on Yosemite:
  • It can take quite a while (15-20 seconds) to load up an instrument for the first time (especially one with many modules). For the same instrument, changing presets is quick (obviously, since modules are the same).
  • Oscillot is rock solid on Yosemite (Macbook Pro 15” late 2013 model). Not a single crash in the four or five hours I’ve been playing with it.
  • Beyond four or five active voices it becomes a bit of a CPU hog.
  • Wouldn’t work with Max 7 (at least for me). Had to revert to Max 6.1.
  • Very intuitive to use. If you’re used to a modular environment like Mux then this should be easy to get accustomed to.
All in all a blast to use, i.e. being able to build Max instruments without having to get out of the Live environment. Not as many modules as I would have liked (esp. oscillators) but I am told that they’re coming in future updates. There is a module list here http://maxforlive.com/library/device/27 ... lar-system
Cool. From the video it sounded very good. Any comments on the sound itself of the oscs and filters for example?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

wasi wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:It's not free no. $100 is fine, it's niche after-all.
I meant that BEAP is free from Cycling74 and covers most of what this does: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/beap-po ... -max-live/

$100 is indeed fine for niche, but it's also a proprietary format. KarmaFX is a couple of dollars more and runs as a VST. But that's just my take. BEAP is all I need for tinkering.
was looking into it... for _most_ of the reasons people use modulars (this is the first I've heard of BEAP, so i haven't used it yet), BEAP would be fine.

however, BEAP is monophonic, and apparently oscillot is poly? so that's a pretty big win for other modular uses...

Return to “Instruments”