Looking for Access Virus emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cell is supposed to sound close to a Virus, not strictly an emulation of the synth though, according to the dev: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=cell

Apart from that, this Youtuber has made a comparison between the raw and unison oscillator and filter sound of Spire and his Virus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM02l1_USjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3qf0I1AjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKxugy3uHc

Spire's "Infecto" filter was supposedly modelled aftert he Virus' filter.

Synthmaster's digital filter was also modelled on it, as far as the dev said. Not much in common with Spire's Infecto one thoug, strangely.

to be honest, I never liked much of a plugin, I sold a short time ago my virus TI2 and not regret having bought the spire vst, which in my opinion and way better than the virus.

Btw, not sure what Sadowick did in the filter comparison video. The filter sweeps sound way smoother here, not at all steppy like in the vid. Maybe he didn't use shift + mouse to control the cutoff. I'm sure Spire also has smoothing. ;)

chk071 wrote:Cell is supposed to sound close to a Virus, not strictly an emulation of the synth though, according to the dev: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=cell
vaporware. hes been going on about that thing since 2011, and all he has to show for it is one tiny little pic.

meh...ill believe it when its released. by which time well all be on 128 bit systems and his 32 bit win only flowstone synth wont even run on anything.

:P
ImageImageImage

Funny isn't it? Spire was the complete opposite, never heard of before, and then they came with a bang. :hihi:

I regret to say but the knowledge of the reveiewer is questionable on the matter to say the least.
I don't want to diss him too bad because i appreciate the work he did and the effort he put into this.
He is calling the Gibbs phenomenon partials? and saying when there aren't any it is not very analog in his opinion? The ripples are the result of band-limiting the signal and you can't hear them. If you record an analog saw into your digital system it is gonna have them (while in the analog world they aren't there). It has a relation to the number of harmonics but the more partials you use to calculate the waveform the smoother it becomes not the opposite. They sound different because the waveforms are different to a certain extent.
Comparing a really expensive hw synth to vst is nuts. While nothing being wrong with either of them i don't think that a vst will put the Virus off the market. Don't you think the guys at access work really hard and been doing it for years to make good stuff?
I'm no expert on DSP but this was phoney.

piel wrote: Comparing a really expensive hw synth to vst is nuts.
Why is nuts comparing and trying to see do you really need that thing, some people got in their head they need something and that is not replaceable at all, look at that EQ comparison thread, I can bet many can't hear almost any difference in many of them, but yet many would just got something thinking they will eventually get what they need it and that's the thing that nothing can come close because it's some brand, that's nuts, some think if they get Virus tunes will magically mix themselves and sounds will sound like they imagined, I have a friend that bought Nord Lead on similar pretense and of course he can't get anything out of it and now he thinks he need Virus too, next will be Moog probably and so on, like many that are buying soft synths expecting some preset will magically be it.

Virus is great workhorse and nothing can replace it workflow vise, but if someone is after just sounding like Virus or in that ballpark, than there are alternatives and it's no nuts at all, I wish that guy with Nord Lead just tried to get into OSC with Synth1 before he got himself Nord Lead, but no, he saw online everyone talking about how nothing can come close to Nord and now he doesn't even know what is that special something actually, what he is looking for to get from it in first place, so yeah, compare good...

piel wrote: Comparing a really expensive hw synth to vst is nuts. While nothing being wrong with either of them i don't think that a vst will put the Virus off the market. Don't you think the guys at access work really hard and been doing it for years to make good stuff?
Depends what you are looking for. If you are only considering sound quality, Vst synths are just as good as a Virus or any other digital hardware and are more flexible.

If you want the hardware because you don't want to be on the computer, or use cpu, or for hands on control, then the hardware has an advantage.

If you want exactly the Virus sound, then get a Virus. But that does not make it better. Neither can the Virus emulate Zebra, Massive, etc etc etc...

I pretty much agree with everything you guys said, i just did not concentrate on that part and my post is regarding mostly the videos not the original topic. (i'm at fault at that)

pdxindys answer is a best and is a sober advice.

Why i think it is "nuts"? Because that is what happens in the vids and the topic is about "emulations". I seriously doubt that you could come out with something like that, and Access just standing by that someone reverse engineers their stuff. (Otherwise pretty hard to emulate.)
The OP did not mention which feature is so important to him in the Virus. Pretty much all similar vstis will do to some extent, especially in a mix. The question was not something like: do i need a Virus to do stuff like... The question was if there exists something that emulates the V but costs less.
It seems to me he is trying to convince himself to buy or not to buy something, looking for the unobtanium, the 250$ Virus Ti2

I don't think reverse engineering is a problem considering the countless emulations of a Minimoog. It's just that obviously, developers don't think it's worth the time, if they can create unique soft synths. Fair enough. But some of them surely aim the Virus' alley.

First OP have not wrote VirusTI but Virus and second the emulation already exists as Poco Plugin since years. If you cant afford at least a Virus Snow but wants to have (the 2nd gen) Virus sound for cheap money this is the way to go.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

valerian_777 wrote:the emulation already exists as Poco Plugin since years.
What is it? Edit: Oh... the Powercore you mean. Saw it a couple of times offered here or on eBay. Always seemed too pricey for me. A Virus Snow seems to be a better deal, at least used. New also much too expensive though.

piel wrote:I pretty much agree with everything you guys said, i just did not concentrate on that part and my post is regarding mostly the videos not the original topic. (i'm at fault at that)

pdxindys answer is a best and is a sober advice.

Why i think it is "nuts"? Because that is what happens in the vids and the topic is about "emulations". I seriously doubt that you could come out with something like that, and Access just standing by that someone reverse engineers their stuff. (Otherwise pretty hard to emulate.)
The OP did not mention which feature is so important to him in the Virus. Pretty much all similar vstis will do to some extent, especially in a mix. The question was not something like: do i need a Virus to do stuff like... The question was if there exists something that emulates the V but costs less.
It seems to me he is trying to convince himself to buy or not to buy something, looking for the unobtanium, the 250$ Virus Ti2
When you put it like that, spot on :tu:

Kaboom75 wrote:it has a phaser unique to the Virus
Adam Szabo's Phazor anyone? :hihi: 99% there... As per the actual synth, you can get close with various subtractive solutions, but a Virus is a unique, as in the combination of all those available sound design choices...

2ZrgE wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:I just learned that Acces Virus may be the missing link of music evolution. Do any emulations exist? Well, Google has a lot of thoughts about Virus, but didn't give me definitive answer. If there are any, which one do you recommend? Are they free?

Please not post answers like "synth ABC can make some similiar sounds to Virus". I'm interested in emulations, not all the synths in existence.
So you are more interested in a shitty sounding wanna-be-emulation than a synth which may be able to reproduce that Virus sound? :ud:

I do my own quests for a Virus subsitute on a regular basis, and my experience is: there is none (edit: Virus sounding I mean of course). :(

Some sounds though can be reproduced, but the whole package you only get from Access.
I am going to have to agree with this. I think the OP needs to clarify what exactly they are wanting to achieve by getting a straight emu compared to a similar sounding synth (Spire, Hive, Sylenth et al). I would take any of these over a half-assed attempt to emulate the Ti (apart from if Access developed temporary insanity and made a plugin version of the Ti).

I have owned a Ti Polar and the Snow at various points but always ended up selling them because I couldn't really see $2-4k of advantage over the aforementioned VAs. I always struggled to differentiate between placebo effect and actual superiority. Listening back now to my tracks, I can't tell the difference between Virus and non-Virus sounds used, so perhaps that is the best guide for me.

Perhaps this would be a different answer if I made trance or chillout though...

Return to “Instruments”