Why so many people complain about Bitwig performance?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

apple can no longer code proper OS. use snow leopard folks.

ssl4000 wrote:95% of user have this problems because they are too lazy to delete lenovo crapware and are running tons of useless software like shi*ty antiviruses and downloading every available toolbar, just like my stupid girlfriend
he be like, we in da studio :lol:

crazyfiltertweaker wrote: and don't use 32 Bit plugins in a 64 Bit setup... The CPU can't handle big projects.
i think this may be the source of my issues, i started throwing 32-bit versions of VSTs in indiscriminately at the start of the project...now it's got so slow that there's 10+ seconds lag when i mute/solo a channel. i'm going to do my best to change them all over to 64-bit and report back if i see any improvement

Hmm.. on Windows 7 I would look at my performance and configure W7. I have all useless graphical W7 GUI related stuff cancelled. The screen candy. Certain display. Just a tip. You'll never know.

At one point I had an issue where bitwig would come to its knees(I have a pretty beast w7 rig) and I tracked it down to the BX saturator 32 bit plugin. I updated to 64 and the performance issue was gone immediately. So it might be certain plugins. I would suggest disabling things one by one to see if you can find any culprit VST's. For me, this happened in a much earlier version of BW, and now that they have toggle disable of devices, it would make finding the VSTS that bottleneck the system much easier I would think. Make sure you update all your plugs to latest versions and get 64 bit versions where you can. BW performs great for me but I rarely go over 24 tracks and I have RME drivers and a strong rig. I think once though I pasted in like 150 audio tracks to see how it would do and it played like a champ.

Because of this. project not even active. cause of project being big it lags even if audio engine isnt active and no cpu usage anyway. weird right.
check video you can easy tell that bitwigs audio engine isn't active in left up corner. but look how it lags. The marking of clips go soo slow, even moving sections go slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AJ3d4Plf6Q

same is when dragging, it goes slow. i love bitwig but this is annoying as hell for work flow, it totally destroy my good mood.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

ronnyrydgren wrote:Because of this. project not even active. cause of project being big it lags even if audio engine isnt active and no cpu usage anyway. weird right.
check video you can easy tell that bitwigs audio engine isn't active in left up corner. but look how it lags. The marking of clips go soo slow, even moving sections go slow.

same is when dragging, it goes slow. i love bitwig but this is annoying as hell for work flow, it totally destroy my good mood.
This happens to me when I have a million audio clips. I tend to work by cutting everything up into really tiny parts and then rearranging them. Try bouncing some tracks, or even just consolidating them. You have a lot less than I do. Maybe you'll see an improvement if you update Java? I believe it's a GUI performance issue because this happens to me with just audio clips.

As user above said, I really like bitwig but I have projects with 75+ tracks with a lot of automation and third party vsts and I couldn't imagine taking projects like this into bitwig.

There just seems to be a few plugins that cause really high cpu use in bitwig that don't necessarily cause so much cpu use in other daws.

Not to mention on my computer bitwig clicks and pops when my computer still says around 50% idle. Ableton and Logic take my machine much farther.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Used some tracks on a laptop (demo 1.1.5, not at home...) with asio4all...

Works fine... Closed laptop, opened it.. Let app all day to night.. No problem.

The pc is fresh new with eset and malwarebytes'...

Btw, u must use legit plugs ! Cr*ked plugs create high cpu spikes and stabilty pbs like u know. And they got "timebombs" that sh*ts your project audible or not...

ThomasHelzle wrote:I never wanted to belittle you problems guys. It's just that the kind of reports I often see sound more like problems with the system to me, especially if there is a certain time until it happens or other such curious things.

BWS does a lot of things that other hosts can't do - modulation at audio rate, free arrangement of devices in any order you want, modular system behind it - and some of it costs some cycles, everything comes with a price.
Sorry, but you're being an apologist. There are serious problems with performance in Bitwig such that I cannot use it. It should not crackle and pop from 2 instances of Serum when I have no other programs open. I shouldn't have to go through all of the ridiculous steps you described to use this software (and honestly, what you listed has nothing to do with it). Why?

Because Ableton does not have these issues. At all. I can have Chrome and Ableton open and not have any issues. I can have 32x the number of Serum instances open before having any sort of performance issues, and even then it's not the horrendous crackling that plagues Bitwig for me.

I don't care what crazy features the DAW has if it can't do the basics correctly without crackling.

Maybe it's because I'm running Yosemite, but then again, Ableton doesn't have these problems. So it's clearly not just the operating system that's causing it.

You should not be defending Bitwig here. You shouldn't tell people that *they're* the problem when it is so clearly a problem with the software, evidenced by the fact that it's direct competitor has *none* of the problems with performance being described. No, it is not a problem with my system. It's a problem with Bitwig.

If I open ONE instance of a multi out with ezd2 and add 6 instances of slate VMR ... that's all she wrote. Put them on seprate tracks, and it's fine. Something is a miss here.

I can have a project with giga tracks if I stick to using synths and single instances. I can add VCC to many many tracks w/o issue. Again, something is a miss.

Some amp sims are just brutal (like bias which I know is hungry, but this is ridiculous) and some are fine. The built in stuff hardly registers at all.

It goes back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth. The program runs fine, very few show stoppers, but the CPU is a big problem and EXTREMELY inconsistent. I didn't figure that out until I owned a copy and started saving/building projects. Too little too late.

dwelm wrote: Sorry, but you're being an apologist. There are serious problems with performance in Bitwig such that I cannot use it. It should not crackle and pop from 2 instances of Serum when I have no other programs open. I shouldn't have to go through all of the ridiculous steps you described to use this software (and honestly, what you listed has nothing to do with it). Why?

Because Ableton does not have these issues. At all. I can have Chrome and Ableton open and not have any issues. I can have 32x the number of Serum instances open before having any sort of performance issues, and even then it's not the horrendous crackling that plagues Bitwig for me.

I don't care what crazy features the DAW has if it can't do the basics correctly without crackling.

AMEN PREACH THANK THE LORD SOMEONE FINALLY FEELS THE SAME WAY AS ME. PS I EMAILED BITWIG TECH SUPPORT AND THEY SAY THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH CPU PERFORMANCE LIKE LOLSSSSSS LET ME REPEAT MY COMPUTER DOESNT EVEN USE HALF ITS USEAGE BEFORE CRACKS AND POPS AROUND 50% OF CPU IDLE BITWIG IS MAXED LAWL.

Im not a vst know it all, i don't know what performs better on my computer, if bitwig needs to perform best with certain formats/32/64 of those formats then why doesn't bitwig just do that for me?

I get half the tracks in bitwig that I do in ableton and it sucks, and its my computer thomas? really my 12 core late 2013 mac pro with 64 gb of ram? I doubt it. No cracked plugins at our studio were fully legit.

bigwigs performance is BLAH
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

LLCoolJeans wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:Because of this. project not even active. cause of project being big it lags even if audio engine isnt active and no cpu usage anyway. weird right.

This happens to me when I have a million audio clips. I tend to work by cutting everything up into really tiny parts and then rearranging them. Try bouncing some tracks, or even just consolidating them. You have a lot less than I do. Maybe you'll see an improvement if you update Java? I believe it's a GUI performance issue because this happens to me with just audio clips.
its not gui issue. this happens when you have alot of midi information, i have not tried with audio clips in loads of them. i run latest java. it should not act like that anyway. bitwig is only daw i feelt does this and its annoying as hell. more people here are annoyed with performance also. u cant talk away what is annoying others. cheers u is happy with performance but if we feel there is a problem let us think like that. just cause u like consulidate and bounce doesnt mean the rest like to do extra work to get bitwig to flow as other daws. in other daws u dont have to do this.i love bitwig but this is really a big downside of everything. stil sticking with bitwig though:) love it except this
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

I've been testing bitwig performance since day one and it seems that it's steadily improved and the latest version matches Logic in terms if plugin count on my machine (imac Yosemite) and no clicks & pops any more which is great! Using native devices is actually fantastic and they hardly register a cpu hit at all.

But there is a problem - and it is connected to the number of regions. If a project has many regions, regardless of the Synths used, it slows down. I can bring my computer to its knees with one track simply by making a very small region and looping it out over a few minutes of time. The longer I stretch it out the slower the program becomes. If I consolidate it, the problem goes away instantly!

Support are aware & hopefully fixing it.

Other than this, I find bitwig performance very good. I've done extremely complex projects filled with vsts including many instances of Nebula, Synths & effects on 4x oversampling, etc etc. (i do tend to mix at 1024 buffer though)

Cheers

yes yes yes i can second that big lag with big projects
for example such a simple task like solo/unsolo takes 5 seconds to complete
ofc if there are a few tracks - there is no lag at all...BITLAG : )

Return to “Bitwig”