Ableton Push support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

Raffi wrote: When changing tracks it always force select the first scene clip, which makes it impossible to select two clips or copy a clip to another track. And also when I want to edit a clip I often have to double click to get focus back as it jumps to the first scene. When turning off Push everything works as normal.

Aside from that, I am still getting green pads when selecting a track in another bank. I have to select another track within the bank and then go back to be able to play. Also still hanging loops betweens selecting track, only now it won't get stuck, just have to wait / clicking other tracks to get it out of it's loop.
I am currently a bit busy, might find some time during the weekend to have a look. I am not sure if I understood you problem 100%. Could you please give a step-by-step explanation what you do, what is the expected behaviour and what goes wrong? That would make it easier for me to reproduce it.

Hey Moss,

Sure!

1. Start an empty project and add instrument tracks until you have 8 tracks and create some random clips on different scenes, skip using scene 1 as this better illustrates the problem later on.

2. Now just click/select these clips on the different tracks. So far so good.

3. Create a 9th track (which will switch the banks) and create a clip that is not on the first scene. Click to select this clip.

4. Now try to click on a clip that resides in the other bank of tracks and it will jump selection to the first scene. When staying in that bank it will work fine, until you select the clip on the 9th track again.

Thanks for checking!

Raffi wrote: 1. Start an empty project and add instrument tracks until you have 8 tracks and create some random clips on different scenes, skip using scene 1 as this better illustrates the problem later on.

Thanks to your explanation I could reproduce it. The problem is that I selected the clip with the same index if you change a track on the Push. I did not notice that there are side effects if you directly click a clip or change banks. I tried to fix this but this caused even more side effects. Therefore, I removed it. Should now work as expected again (code is on GitHub).

Ah this is great news! Means I can use the Push again.
Will try it asap!

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers,
Rafael

Houston, I've Got a Problem, how can reach the macro mode on container elements (where the "in" jumps into the device) and the third-party plugins can't be selected

in Ableton Live the macro controls is the default visible ones using the Rack(container) elements
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:Houston, I've Got a Problem, how can reach the macro mode on container elements (where the "in" jumps into the device) and the third-party plugins can't be selected
in Ableton Live the macro controls is the default visible ones using the Rack(container) elements
Press Device button twice, select "Fixed" and then "Macro".

1.1.5 has introduced a new bug which makes it impossible to "enter" VSTs since they are reported as containers.

moss wrote:

1.1.5 has introduced a new bug which makes it impossible to "enter" VSTs since they are reported as containers.

Just got Push due to this script (and Bitwig being awesome), thanks Moss & Mike! Do you know if BWS are aware of this bug and plan to fix it?

BTW, Live is in the top 3 ugliest pieces of software I've ever used.

Thanks!

polygonsheep wrote:
moss wrote:

Just got Push due to this script (and Bitwig being awesome), thanks Moss & Mike! Do you know if BWS are aware of this bug and plan to fix it?

Thanks!
Volker fixes as we speak :-)
https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... /issues/52

moss wrote:
polygonsheep wrote:
moss wrote:

Thanks!
Volker fixes as we speak :-)
https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... /issues/52
:D <--- That's a big Friday grin from me!

Hey guys,

I'm loving the script and all the quick improvements you guys have been making!

I notice in Session View, playing clips appear to change color gradually based on a smooth gradient between the clip color and the green "playing" color.

I think it's a cool idea but after spending more time working with larger sessions in a live and spontaneous context, I find myself getting disoriented by the differing "blend durations" for colors that are different distances away from the green "playing" color.

At any point in time I look down at my clips and some of them are already almost fully green while others are only halfway through their blend, and although technically they are synchronized (at least I think they are synchronized by "percentage along color difference gradient"), the differing amounts of color change make it seem like they are pulsing at all different rates. Something about it feels counterintuitive and disorienting, wondering if anyone else feels the same.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of color animation to replace this with, but I would much prefer a more basic blinking mechanism that is tempo synced, something like a synchronized on-off blink, maybe at quarter-note rates, or just a similar implementation to Ableton's "solid green if playing, blink when launching" scheme.

I'd like to be able to look down for an instantaneous picture of what's going on without needing those extra few moments to "get my bearings" and for my brain to sort through where each clip is in its own unique color gradient animation. It's just an interface quickness and "intuitive-ness" thing requiring precious extra "eye-time" I'd like to eliminate.

I think the main issue for me is the differing "time-to-green" durations, where if I look down at one moment, something like a blue clip will be well on its way to green, whereas a red clip will have more "color distance" to travel, thus taking longer to transition and I'll end up wrongly categorizing it as "non-playing" in my quick glance, depending on when during the animation I look.

It would be ideal if I could look down at any instant and trust that anywhere and ONLY where I see green (or alternatively, only where stuff is blinking), right now, there is a playing clip, instead of worrying about the clips that "aren't quite green yet at this particular moment" in their color transition, if that makes sense. I don't want to have to worry about which ones are more or less green than others. "Green? Playing Clip. Done." works much more comfortably for my Neanderthal brain! (or alternatively, "blinking? playing. done.")

With the current implementation, for me at least, it's that extra psychological/perceptive layer of "making sure" that I'd like to get rid of.

Maybe something like a tempo-synced "green -> off -> clip_color -> off" rotation on 16th notes, just as a random suggestion, but where all different clip colors hit full-green simultaneously. I've done a little bit of experimentation with LED color blinking schemes but it really just takes trial and error to get it intuitive, reliable, simple but detailed enough, "feeling right," etc. I am really curious to hear what everyone else thinks about this, and if I'm just crazy and others prefer the current implementation.

Even though less color detail would be involved, I think simplicity is a good thing here, and an animation scheme that functions on a more "discrete," visual-metronome-style constant blink/pulse scheme without the blending would be ideal to give users an instantaneous view of what's happening with minimal "mind overhead". Even something like "pulse quarter notes for playing clips and pulse 16th notes for launching/stopping clips, just between the clip color and off state, without any green involved" might be cool, where the only thing you need to worry about is "is it blinking or not". Again, just a random suggestion, and I'm really curious what other users have to say about this.

Moss and Mike, you guys have been super responsive to user feedback and feature requests so far, so I'm hoping this could be something you could also take into consideration to make the Push script kick even more ass. Thank you so much for your work so far!

Sorry if my ramblings are difficult to make sense of. Please let me know what you guys think!

Jon

As a semi-reply to _jon's post...

I'm not keen on the 'green state' (although it could be used in a blinking way as the clip is about to be triggered?), I reckon that the same color blinking is enough to give the visual cue that the clip is active, or it would be for me!

Yes, _jon I know what you are talking about. That is something I do not like, too. But I could not find a better solution so far.
What taoyoyo suggests is a good idea (basically to blink between the color and off (= black)) but it would not fix the sync issue.
Will need to think about it and maybe do some experimentation.

BTW One MAJOR fix in 1.6 is the step sequencer! It finally works correctly again! Push and Maschine scripts.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Shout out to moss and TeotiGraphix for this script! :tu:

I hadn't looked too closely at Bitwig for a while but I decided to check out the 1.1 demo recently along the most recent version of the Push script.
The script has come a long way since my last try, and I was so impressed that I decided to buy Bitwig even though I'd initially resolved to wait for 2.0 to take the plunge.

Even though Bitwig 1.1 is nice, I would not have moved from Ableton to Bitwig if the script wasn't up to par.
God only knows how many others have/will switch from Live to Bitwig because of push compatibility so I hope the BW team gives you guys special consideration for making indirect sales.

Thank you for your hard (free) work. :clap:

The Mantra wrote:Shout out to moss and TeotiGraphix for this script! :tu:

I hadn't looked too closely at Bitwig for a while but I decided to check out the 1.1 demo recently along the most recent version of the Push script.
The script has come a long way since my last try, and I was so impressed that I decided to buy Bitwig even though I'd initially resolved to wait for 2.0 to take the plunge.

Even though Bitwig 1.1 is nice, I would not have moved from Ableton to Bitwig if the script wasn't up to par.
God only knows how many others have/will switch from Live to Bitwig because of push compatibility so I hope the BW team gives you guys special consideration for making indirect sales.

Thank you for your hard (free) work. :clap:
+1

I mailed Dom saying the exact thing and ask him to give you guys some extra support in terms of api requests and programming help :)

Return to “Controller Scripting”