Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

frankvg wrote:
Drop it in a rack; let it auto-connect.

One instance on the reference track:
Left input goes to 3. reference track L
Right input goes to 4. reference track R

One instance on the track that will be auto-gained.
Left input goes to 1. main input L
Right input goes to 2. main input R

I've just come back to this, and not had any luck with it. Bearing in mind that I don't use Racks at all at the moment, could someone spell it out for me. I have it working in Reaper..

Thanks, BobM.

So I have reference track and a subject track.

Should I have a rack on each track?

What should the rack look like, a single filter or more?

I've got the idea of multiple filters in a rack within a track, but not across tracks. Aux send maybe?

BobM.

inserting a rack on several tracks just makes it possible to route that tracks audio into the rack. it is still one rack, that "lives" somewhere else ...
you can see those multiplicated racks as routing instances.
then route the sidechainsignal to the appropriate input in the rack, while routing the main audiosignal through the effect and then to the output.

maybe this gives you an idea how these racks work.

to the question:
yes you should have a rack on each track.
the rack should have two stereoinputs and one stereooutput.
your effect should provide the respective audio and sidechaininputs to connect to.
and the audio output for the processed signal.

klangbastler wrote:to the question:
yes you should have a rack on each track.
the rack should have two stereoinputs and one stereooutput.
your effect should provide the respective audio and sidechaininputs to connect to.
and the audio output for the processed signal.
Ok, so it's one instance of AutoGain within a rack, copied to the 2 relevant tracks, and there's no Aux sends involved, it's all within the rack.

yes.
you can specifiy in the instances of the rack in the tracks, which inputs of the rack the track will feed. and which outputs it will receive.

klangblaster,

Sorted, it sets itself up when Traction creates the rack, the mistake I was making was expecting the red "sidechain warning" to be out when connected, but the track has to be running.. Doh!!

Thanks for the ideas,

BobM.

Er.. One last thing, I've got curves written to the target track, and the AutoGain is in read mode, the automation record switched off, but the channel fader is not moving, so I'm not getting any volume changes.

bobmartinmusic wrote:Er.. One last thing, I've got curves written to the target track, and the AutoGain is in read mode, the automation record switched off, but the channel fader is not moving, so I'm not getting any volume changes.
It looks like you have to delete the Tracktion Volume.

have you checked if readmode is on for automation and if the automationcurve written is linked to the trackvolume.
i guess it is linked to the gain parameter in autogain when it is recorded (or maybe no parameter, just recorded?)
it can be set to trackvolume, to let this make the gainwork. and then edited by hand for further tuning.
the rack can be switched off then.

i wonder why deleting the trackvolume makes a difference here.

klangbastler wrote:i wonder why deleting the trackvolume makes a difference here.
I incorrectly assumed the the Autogain wrote to the "track" volume, so I couldn't work out why I couldn't see it moving. I haven't tried to see whether the Autogain volume changes would be written in a track render yet, there may not be much point anyway.

It would be useful to have a "ready" light which indicates that it's correctly set up even if the transport is not active yet.

It's 9.30 in the morning and I'm back to square one, will have to admit defeat on this one, have contacted Hornet..

Does this screen grab offer any clues?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

that's the rack correctly wired, yes.
but have you configured how the rackinstances on the tracks send audio into the rack?

when you select the rackinstance from the reference track, activate rackinputs 3/4 only in the properties panel.
then select the instance of the rack on the vocaltrack and activate rackinputs 1/2.

maybe you have done this already?

Return to “Tracktion”