Different types of compression, SSL vs 1176 vs 1a2a vs DBX160 ect...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiosabre wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:So, I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the AA CL series? How do CL1, CLMS-1, and CLMS-1 XL differ? Is it just that MS and MS XL offer mid-side processing? Also, is this a viable alternative to the NI Vintage Compressors?
The CL1 is a stereo, compressor-limiter, with filtering in the the detection circuit. It has peak and RMS limiting.

The CLMS-1 is identical to CL1, except you can control how much mid or side is sent to be compressed.

The CLMS-1 XL is actually 2 compressors, so offers separate compression on mid & side, and separate filtering over M & S detection circuits. You can also switch it to L-R, and compress each side individually.

All of them have input 'drive', wet/dry mix control and external s/c input. The XL has many more mix controls too, it's a beast :lol:

I never used the XL personally, but it's there for the advanced tweakers. It's way too complicated for me. Sorry :oops:

I like them better than NI. The CL1 is a workhorse, and always delivers. YMMV.
Awesome, thank you for the reply. So, the CL series is a viable alternative to the NI VCs?
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Thanks for the reply bManic, but I don't think that answered any of my questions. :?
Oops.. you are right. Been a bit tired lately so I'll blame it on that! :lol:

Anyhow, you got your answer. :)

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

djanthonyw wrote:Awesome, thank you for the reply. So, the CL series is a viable alternative to the NI VCs?
I'm the wrong person to ask. I think CL1 is in a different league, I couldn't compare them.

bmanic is right; there's something great about the transient handling of the CL1. I thought NI VC handled transients like plugin compressors.

In my mind, it's 3 serious units vs 3 toys. You'll get a fairer assessment from someone who likes both products :shrug:

I like both products very much (though I have not yet purchased the NI compressors). :D

Like with all things about sound, it's purely subjective and thus the only correct thing to do is to demo them thoroughly and decide on that.. or just give into GAS and get them all! :hihi:

Cheers!
bManic

Well, I understand that they don't sound exactly alike as I'm sure any emulation of the la-2a, 1176 or dbx160 isn't going to sound exactly like the real ones, but I'm just wondering if the CL1 has been modeled on these options to cover the same bases. I can see on the website that it does mention the 160 and dbx, but then it just says "ect.." so I'm not sure if they also went off of the la2a as well. I'd just like to know if it covers the same ground, as it would be nice to have the essence of those three different compressors in one main compressor.
You are currently reading my signature.

Why not try the demo of them all and compare?

Personally I think they all sound unique and can not really replace one another. The NI compressors are not exactly what you'd call flexible.. they do their thing and that's it. Whereas the CL series are very flexible but also have a distinct behavior and tone of their own. This means that they can't sound like the NI compressors but they can definitely cover some of the attributes.

Short answer: No. You can not replace the NI compressors with the CL series but same goes vice versa.

I really recommend you try the demos and see what works for your type of music.

Cheers!
bManic

To anybody who read this thread, you might be interested in the comparison I posted over at gearslutz:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sh ... uende.html

As I wrote, I created comparison files of the free plugin discoDSP Nightshine, a Behringer MDX1000 (according to GroupDIY it´s a clone of the Alesis 3630, which Nightshine models), and the plugin SSL Duende channelstrip compressor, all set to maximum spank on a snare. I tried to match the settings as closely as possible.

What do you think of the results? Any clear winner?

gertius wrote:To anybody who read this thread, you might be interested in the comparison I posted over at gearslutz:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sh ... uende.html

As I wrote, I created comparison files of the free plugin discoDSP Nightshine, a Behringer MDX1000 (according to GroupDIY it´s a clone of the Alesis 3630, which Nightshine models), and the plugin SSL Duende channelstrip compressor, all set to maximum spank on a snare. I tried to match the settings as closely as possible.

What do you think of the results? Any clear winner?
You bumped a year and a half old thread for this?

Return to “Effects”