Focusrite ports RED 2 and 3 modules (without Dave Gamble?)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I made a test and it's just the same algorithm than Midnight plug in.
Loop drum and phase invert : https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... HMnFy0dxvA
300 euros just for change the GUY and announce a "new compressor" at Namm 2015 is a SHAME !!!

Well, despite its dubious nature I've spent the last hour comparing Red 3 to my other favorite compressors and it is by far the least destructive of them all ... unless you count the dynamics knob in Cuttertone. As others have mentioned it is very smooth, round, and wide. It might just be my new favorite. I definitely don't have anything else that is remotely like it.

Han Solo wrote:I made a test and it's just the same algorithm than Midnight plug in.
Loop drum and phase invert : https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... HMnFy0dxvA
300 euros just for change the GUY and announce a "new compressor" at Namm 2015 is a SHAME !!!
Man, I'm speechless...This is really low, dishonest an unethical of their part.

Honestly, they should take responsibility over such a scam and publicly apologize. I mean it...There're no other words to describe it; It's a scam.

I really like their hardware products, but after this I'll think twice before buying anything from them again.

Shame on you, Focusrite.

Sidestepping the controversy, one reason someone might find this versatile is that it is really difficult to make it sound bad. It can do some subtle character compression though with its super nice attack. It plays particularly well with gooey filtered synth sounds and round kicks. The auto release could probably be a little more aggressive. It seems excessively safe to me. Other than that the only thing I feel it's lacking is a sidechain high pass.

I kind of miss two things in this video:
a) a frequency response through an FFT that shows values down to -100dB
b) Logic's master out only goes to -60dBFS IIRC - would have loved to see the correct readout if there were artifacts or not

Don't get me wrong - I am not doubting that this isn't happening.
It is actually a really bold move.

But for this, I also have several explanations:
a) the threshold and the ratio - even if the transfer curve is different, at minimal or maximal ratios at that low threshold, it shouldn't matter
b) as mentioned several times at this point, the compressor from the MIDNIGHT suite and the RED compressor are both built upon the ISA130 compressor. The EQ's are based upon different hardware modules

Again - I have no doubt that this is happening.

The assumptions for this were already there on page 1 (recycled code with the Digidesign release especially). And Dave Gamble also hinted at the fact that changes could be absolutely minimal. So the more we dig deeper - then yes, the price point is something to criticize.

I hope to provide plots shortly.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I must be a moron - I can't even find the demo download button on the Red suite page - where is it?

Kindred wrote:I must be a moron - I can't even find the demo download button on the Red suite page - where is it?
http://global.focusrite.com/downloads?p ... g-In+Suite

Greg Houston wrote:Well, despite its dubious nature I've spent the last hour comparing Red 3 to my other favorite compressors and it is by far the least destructive of them all ... unless you count the dynamics knob in Cuttertone. As others have mentioned it is very smooth, round, and wide. It might just be my new favorite. I definitely don't have anything else that is remotely like it.
I have something that is remotely like it...

I have the Midnight Suite :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Compyfox wrote:I kind of miss two things in this video:
a) a frequency response through an FFT that shows values down to -100dB
b) Logic's master out only goes to -60dBFS IIRC - would have loved to see the correct readout if there were artifacts or not
Well, Reaper's Master readout goes down to -inf in my video, that is minus infinity, absolute silence, zilch, nada. Don't understand what you need to make plots for.

Here's mine again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqiDHxPiac
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

digitalboytn wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:Well, despite its dubious nature I've spent the last hour comparing Red 3 to my other favorite compressors and it is by far the least destructive of them all ... unless you count the dynamics knob in Cuttertone. As others have mentioned it is very smooth, round, and wide. It might just be my new favorite. I definitely don't have anything else that is remotely like it.
I have something that is remotely like it...

I have the Midnight Suite :wink:
Yup. It's clear they are the same thing. I don't have the Midnight Suite however.

chokehold wrote:Don't understand what you need to make plots for.
Again, we're "only" talking about a mere null test here - with extreme values. I want to know the details like transfer curve, attack/release behavior on "normal settings", frequency plot (with the EQ - which is supposed to be based on different ISA modules), etc.

This is what I am aiming at.

Again - I don't disregard the fact that the compressor seems to be a "re-release" for a lot of wood. And yes, this is a really bold move.

Then again, the RED and the MIDNIGHT are based on the very same compressor. And (once more) Dave Gamble hinted (at least to my understanding) at the fact that all these plugins are in some way based(!) upon the FORTE plugin suite. With the exception of the Digidesign creation.

So... if we want to be nitpicky, we actually need a comparison of the D3 (ProTools) with the current RED3 (RED suite). But I don't have access to the ProTools creation - only to MIDNIGHT and currently the RED SUITE demo.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Focusrite. This is a disgrace.... Passing off a new expensive compressor off as a new product when its the same damn thing as an existing cheaper product with a different GUI

Red Suite appeared in our Focusrite account!

We just had Forte Suite and Midnight, so it must be a free cross/upgrade from one or both of those.

I think we got Forte on closeout from Musician's Friend for like $50, then my partner begged that into Midnight when Forte was officially discontinued, and now free Red Suite (most exciting even if the same for AAX)... so, 50 bucks paid for less of a dead-end now (though I'd rather have Forte back).

Anyway, if you have Midnight, you might want to check (or maybe any registered Focusrite product at this point?).

All (or most) is forgiven... might even go back to seriously considering one of their thunderbolt interfaces.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

I do have the Midnight suite, but apparently no account at Focusrite.
They told me many moons ago that I don't need any?

Need to check that again at some point, but as it is standing currently... the RED Suite is nothing special, nothing new even (only "recycled" code in a new GUI).

Compyfox:

Make an account and register Midnight.

Red being AAX and Midnight not, probably doesn't matter to you, but I'll bet Red is better supported in the future than Midnight.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Return to “Effects”