What you use for textures?

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried to make a song using only Xoxos synths:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mmyllyma/TheAmbienceOfXoxos.mp3

(I used Horizon, Bong, Dystopia, Aerophone and Xoxos Reverb, nothing else...)

Yes, the melody is way too simple... :D

However, I tried to develop textures with other synths. They have good texture presets for Trance/EDM, but for less hectic styles, there was not much examples... I understand that they're certainly very capable synths, but which ones (of Xoxos synths) you would use for slow texture pads? I have (I believe) all of them... :)

Of course the excellent Xoxos Reverb helps with many things with pads... :D

i think all my work has a very elemental or object based orientation, eg. my synths avail a particular synthesis process more than a particular type of sound experience. i'm guessing by texture you mean eg. layered pads on workstations that use several oscillators.. i would construct such things out of layering instances of synthesizers, but what you've found is probably a deficit of my approach or character..

..if you listen to my music you'll find it's very raw and kinda boring because i imagine stuff then create it from a vocabulary of synthesis processes.. for the last dozen years, i've heard a lot more synth demos than music, so i don't express myself in terms of the full range of "all the neat tricks you can use to make a piece of music sound awesome" - i guess i'm a serious antimusician because i always want to facilitate and empower the public/listener, i want my composition to sound like something the listener can achieve themselves rather something that will overwhelm their comprehension. the kind of statement i make as a communicator..

plus as a developer i like to hear "what i made" clearly in the recording, creating that minimal, elemental raw, stripped, boring sound ;)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I can see the technological orientation from your site... :D

However, I think synths like Float, Horizon and Aurora have very broad selection of possibilities. Layering is certainly a good idea. I just wanted to ask if there's something that is not obvious to me, which is particularly neat in producing textures. Horizon and Float can produce some Trance patches easily, but softer and slower texture stuff seems to be a bit more complicated for me...

I'm quite inexperienced in sound design. It's fun to try to find new possibilities, though, and Xoxos synths are good for learning, because they're simpler and easier to understand than big commercial synths. They're powerful enough, but you're not drowning in tabs of buttons. :D

My layered first try with Piamo and Aurora:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mmyllyma/xoxos_texturic.mp3

I would like it to be more balanced, mixed up and maybe a tiny bit more "dirty". :D

Btw, is there a possibility to mix samples with Xoxos synths? I think two instances of Element could do that, but they would need either automation or non-Xoxos effect VSTs to mix properly... I'm challenging myself by limiting choices, so non-Xoxos stuff is cheating. :D

(Is Element even available any more?)

in freeware i figure proteus is probably the best free option for exploring layered presets .. the last generation of gear i've used like this are mid 90's h/w..

given the "prospect" of being limited to xoxos vst and using samples, sifft would have different options from element
http://xoxos.net/vst/sifft.zip
http://xoxos.net/vst/element.zip

when i began spending more time "synthesizing" than composing, i wanted my mixes to be clear so every element is distinct if focused on.. otoh most of the music i liked was much noisier (you'll note that i don't do distortion and dynamics much..) ..and especially as i became fond of modeling, my mixes became much more timbrally simple..

i used to like hilt's first album.. there are all kinds of weird noises interjected, which leads me to focus on models for attention in music.. confusion, clarity, order disorder whatever. (stuff i don't think about because i don't like to think about *how* to mess with ppls' attention..)

....as a musician, all i do now is "clarity", which is very satisfying as a synthesist, but falls short as a musician.

i can remember, long ago, turning the mic on and eating a bowl of soup in the background of a track.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Wow. Sifft + short industrial fx wav file + Xoxos Reverb = very funny noise synth.

Excellent foley stuff, too, ambient spaces easily.

Return to “xoxos”