If you need a good free Drive Clone/Backupper, Partition Manager and Rescue-Medium...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A problem with my harddrive required me to re-image my PC. Since Windows' own Backup Utility would let me sit there like a jerk by outright refusing to restore my backup to a different drive, i had to look for something else and found some excellent freeware that does the job perfectly.

The tool is called Backupper and made by AOMEI. It comes with all the features that many vendors would only provide in their payed for versions, such as Partition Cloning/Backupping, Drive Cloning/Backupping, OS Partition Cloning/Backupping, Differential Backups, Incremental Backups and so forth. It also supports scheduling, compression, hell you can even have the program send a notification email somewhere when it completed a task. Making a bootable medium is a breeze too; you simply use the built in facility which will make you a nice bootable PE. (A bootable Linux version is offered too, but i found it crap because it simply didnt work. The WinPE on the other hand was perfect.) As for reliability; i have made several OS backups now and restored them a couple of times to different drives just to see how it goes. So far not a single hitch. In every instance it did exactly what it was supposed to. Time to backup and compress the roughly 17GB of data on my 50GB OS partiton: Circa 6 minutes. Time to restore the backup: Circa 12 minutes. Not a lousy performance at all on a 7200RPM magnetical drive.

Now if you need a good rescue medium, AOMEI provide that too. This one is called AOMEI PE Builder and available here. If you put this on a flashdrive you will be able to boot into a normal Windows Desktop with Windows Explorer and full internet capability. AOMEI Backupper and Partition Assistant (more on that one below) are already installed in the image, which means you can use it to restore (or create) Backupper backups and/or partition harddrives with PA. It also contains a few other tools such as file managers, browser, 7zip, etcetera, plus you can add your own applications as well. Try it out, you wont be disappointed.

Partition Assistant is the 3rd freebie from AOMEI and available here. I didnt actually use it to partition anything yet, but i have used the 'Check for Bad Sectors' feature a couple of times to see if everything on the partitions i rearranged is in order. It is very full-featured for a free product as well, the only thing that i would actually need a licensed version for was to be able to handle my dynamic drives. All the rest i could ever need seems to be there, and then some. (Migrate OS to SSD or HDD, etc.) Like Backupper it also allows you to create a bootable medium in case you need to run it from outside Windows, and if youre using Win8 it can even create you a 'Windows To Go', which apparently is like a copy of your OS on a CD/DVD or flashdrive. Also definitely worth a try if youre looking for a solid freeware alternative.

Hope to have helped,
Happy Backupping. 8)

Thanks for the link.
I've been needing a free tool like this for a long time and this one looks like a good one to have.

How do you think it compares to True Image or Ghost?

Ive never used Ghost, but Backupper sure beats the crap out of the cheap TI i had some years ago.

Unbelievable its free. Other vendors would make you pay through the nose for all those features.

Id be more concerned about why a utility lets you clone a hdd with a problem. Often when this happens it means that you've made an image with the problem and youll transfer it when you restore. I had that with GHOST. If you encounter a problem in Windows that stops you making an image, you need to look at why its happening. Id say faulty HDD or tweaked Windows.

UltraJv wrote:Id be more concerned about why a utility lets you clone a hdd with a problem.
It didnt.

No, the problem was that Windows' own backup utility would not let me restore my backup to another harddrive. Thats why i looked for something different, i.e. something that simply lets me select a target partition and off it goes, rather than whining about the size of the target drive and letting me sit there with no OS to run.

Backupper is perfect for this. It just works, and the interface couldnt be better. Went right on my 'best free software ever' list.

ENV1 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Id be more concerned about why a utility lets you clone a hdd with a problem.
It didnt.

No, the problem was that Windows' own backup utility would not let me restore my backup to another harddrive. Thats why i looked for something different, i.e. something that simply lets me select a target partition and off it goes, rather than whining about the size of the target drive and letting me sit there with no OS to run.

Backupper is perfect for this. It just works, and the interface couldnt be better. Went right on my 'best free software ever' list.
Why wouldn't it restore your backup? Was the HDD smaller or maybe your backup was corrupted or services removed? - thats the only reasons I know of. Ive used Windows system image backup plenty without issue.

Yes, the disk was smaller.

But it wasnt actually too small. The backup really only contained the C: partition, which was 50GB in size with 17GB of data on. Yet Windows Backup insisted that the new drive (250GB) was 'too small' because it wanted to recreate the entire disk layout of the old drive, (320GB), i.e. not only the backupped C:, but the 2 other partitions that were on that drive as well.

Typical Microsoft. Give you a backup utility that references uninvolved partitions in the backup, then refuses to restore that backup because it insists on restoring the partitions that should not have been referenced in the backup in the first place.

Not good for the bloodpressure at all, something like this...

I never use this software. Currently I am using(mod edit - not sure how you got a link to appear with only 1 post and joining today. Link removed as I'm not sure its safe) for my backup. It is a best data backup software and very fast, secure and easy. Also, try this software. Thanks

It was mentioned above that Backupper, made by AOMEI, does not include scheduling but the cnet editor review mentions that it doesn't. Do any of you users know the real answer? Thanks!
John
"B4serenity"

Scheduling is there. Full-featured of course, like all of AOMEIs software.

Backup type (incremental, differential, etc.) is set under Advanced settings.

click for fullsize

MattJSmith wrote:I never use this software. Currently I am using(mod edit - not sure how you got a link to appear with only 1 post and joining today. Link removed as I'm not sure its safe) for my backup. It is a best data backup software and very fast, secure and easy. Also, try this software. Thanks
Not a very useful post! :hihi:

You could at least write the names without the links. And mod, you could have left the names without the links as well...
Last edited by Breeze on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ENV1 wrote:Scheduling is there. Full-featured of course, like all of AOMEIs software.

Backup type (incremental, differential, etc.) is set under Advanced settings.

click for fullsize
Did you try this particular functions by self? Maybe when you click it you'll encounter a dialog box with notification that it's only in full/paid version? Otherwise great news here :)

I'm going to start a thread soon about backing up Sample Data drives. I am curious about AOMEI with regards to one thing: does it have a built-in utility to verify the integrity of the backup other than actually restoring the drive?

It's not uncommon for new companies in this crowded environment (Paragon, Acronis, EaseUS and many others) to introduce free products that offer almost as much as their paid products. Once they acquire a profitable market share, the free options usually get reduced in favor of the commercial versions.

Breeze wrote:does it have a built-in utility to verify the integrity of the backup ...?
Utilitys > Check Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

chris.r wrote: Did you try this particular functions by self? Maybe when you click it you'll encounter a dialog box with notification that it's only in full/paid version? Otherwise great news here :)
I made the screenshot myself. :)
Breeze wrote:I'm going to start a thread soon about backing up Sample Data drives. I am curious about AOMEI with regards to one thing: does it have a built-in utility to verify the integrity of the backup other than actually restoring the drive?
Of course. You can set Backupper to check a backup right after process completion, and, as shown in the screenshot above, you can also check your stored backups manually via Utilities. No problem at all, you just have to point Backupper to the file you want checked.
Breeze wrote:It's not uncommon for new companies in this crowded environment (Paragon, Acronis, EaseUS and many others) to introduce free products that offer almost as much as their paid products. Once they acquire a profitable market share, the free options usually get reduced in favor of the commercial versions.
Doesnt necessarily have to be the case though. COMODO for instance started to collect one best/safest firewall award after another like 6 or 7 years ago and the product is not only still free, it has been advanced and enhanced in so many ways that you would need to write a lot of text only to describe the basics. AOMEI seem to be following a similar business model.

As for Backupper itself, heres a nice review in case anyone is interested in some specifics. (Thats a real review BTW, not the bordering-on-disinformation nonsense that you get served at cnet and certain other places.) Pretty impressive how Backupper beat even the well-established brands that many people often advertise as 'the best'. Direct Quote from the Tester: "AOMEI Backupper excelled in all tests bar one."

Note: The version used in the test was Backupper 1.6, in other words an older version. Latest version is 2.2 and has had many improvements since.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”