Logic 10.1's Retro Synth is a Monster - 8 Voices

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone else tried out the new 10.1 Retro Synth with 8 voices. It sounds huge now and this simple feature has turned an average synth into a monster.

https://soundcloud.com/burbank100/retro-synth-101-test

Yah not too shabby eh?

If you really want to check out monster voice stacking you should look into Dune 2.
:borg:

It has a nice ability to easily create wavetables from imported audio now, too, which is cool...

Yes it is great, it is a welcome addition to the ES2 which just goes up to 6 voices. However for my purposes it is still too limited:
- No pan for each osc,
- only one parameter to control the voice detune
Dúnedain

Yeah, really great update, is it free, or paid upgrade from 10 to 10.1 ?

Numanoid wrote:Yeah, really great update, is it free, or paid upgrade from 10 to 10.1 ?
Free.

Yeah, I know, Apple suck/greedy bastards etc etc...

beely wrote:Yeah, I know, Apple suck/greedy bastards etc etc...
Even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day :D

No doubt, Logic comes with some great synths, too bad they can't work outside Logic and on Windows.

beely wrote:It has a nice ability to easily create wavetables from imported audio now, too, which is cool...
...but the results are rather unsatisfying to say the least, but we have Serum so it doesn't matter.

Does anyone know how to import wave files to retro synth

kalletto wrote:Does anyone know how to import wave files to retro synth
Click on the wavetable name, and choose "Create Wavetable from Audio File".

I don't get the point of restricting a soft synth to 6 or 8 voices... sorry, but that's contemporary anymore. The sky (CPU) should be the limit, and they are powerful these days. Tbh, i don't think a soft synth should take so much CPU that you're only able to run it with a couple of voices either. In the past, it has always been a compromise between CPU usage, and (don't want to call it sound quality because that's the wrong term) complexitiy of modelling/sound. Overcharging an i7 with 8 voices is a laugh.

chk071 wrote:I don't get the point of restricting a soft synth to 6 or 8 voices... sorry, but that's contemporary anymore.
No, you misunderstand. 8 voices of unison *per voice*. It's the "voice stacking" feature, not global polyphony.

So, the synth is I think 16-voice poly max, but with 8-voice unison, each of those 16 notes of polyphony is playing 8 voices of unison.

All of Logic's instrument are very CPU efficient.

Ah, alright then. Sorry, my bad. :)

On the Amp Envelope section of the Retro Synth, what does the wheel on the right side do?

The envelope is taken into account when the wheel is all the way to the top AND when it's all the way to the bottom.

There is a clear change in sound, but I don't know what it has to do with the amplitude envelope.

neueliteratur wrote:On the Amp Envelope section of the Retro Synth, what does the wheel on the right side do?

The envelope is taken into account when the wheel is all the way to the top AND when it's all the way to the bottom.

There is a clear change in sound, but I don't know what it has to do with the amplitude envelope.
The "wheel"..? I have no idea what you mean.

Are you talking about the "Vel" slider to the right of the amp envelope? This sets how much the amp envelope is affected by incoming note velocity.

Or are you talking about the menu in the LFO section, where the "Wheel" setting means the LFO depth is modulated by the mod wheel? (The can be set to mod wheel, aftertouch, or both).

Remember if there are features that you don't know what they are or do, there is an extensive manual which documents all this stuff.

Return to “Instruments”