One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally managed to finish my submission for the OSC #71 in spite of a week dead full of work :clap:

I did my best to make Hive sing (literally), although with a bit of a cockney accent :D . In all 21 patches were made from scratch to make this happen. I am particularly happy with the voice emulations and the drums.

https://soundcloud.com/beatmincer/i-ain ... beatmincer

Enjoy!

Beatmincer

Ableton Live 9 used, with the following standard Ableton fx:

- Standard multiband compression
- Limiter
- Glue compressor
Last edited by Beatmincer on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello everybody!

I hereby announce my humble shot at the Hive OSC.

https://soundcloud.com/beyond_repair/sz ... ed-pajamas

The track was made in Ableton Live 9 Suite.

17 x Hive ( all sounds created from scratch ).
Ableton EQ Eight, Limiter on all channels, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Auto Pan, Auto Filter on some. Convolution Reverb Pro with a Samplicity M7 IR on a return track.
LoudMax, W1 Limiter on a couple of channels, Proximity on kicks and snare, and Molot.
TDR VOS SlickEQ, A1StereoControl, Limiter6 on the master channel.

Good luck to all!

I have (again) updated my entry after two things happened.

First, a kind soul named Animehaus made a suggestion which I tried to follow (not sure that I succeeded).

Second, I watched a youtube video describing the mastering process and tried to do that (definitely did not succeed).

My original post is here -> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6021347 & includes a link to all of the patches I used (all made from init by me).

BTW - I have listened to about 1/2 of the entries & it is really amazing what many people have done with this one synth. I am looking forward to the next OSC.

Anyway, I used 26 instances of Hive & all FX are either Hive's or part of my DAW (Ableton Live 9).

FX - Utility (for gain), EQ8, Auto Pan, Reverb, Delay, Compressor, Saturation, Multiband Dynamics, and Limiter.

https://soundcloud.com/aonesis-audio/we ... hive-final

I am glad that I found this.

Have a good day!

First of all, thank you all for your presets, you encouraged me to test out Hive and finish something. You are a very nice crowd.

My strange downtempo track for this month is here:
https://soundcloud.com/radd/radd-autobahn-to-nowhere

A 75BPM nightmare intended to drive you to agony and distress. Take the first exit out of this Autobahn.

I've spent about 20h on it; used 14 Hive instances and only Ableton's Live plugins, such as a compressor for the basses, snare and kick, a glue compressors for the high-hats, a simple delay and a reverb as return channels and an EQ on every channel.

Good luck everyone and sorry for the low standards of my track. It's only a nightmare
Last edited by radd on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Another OSC noob here :)

https://soundcloud.com/sawsq/sawsq-spill

Reaper with 12x Hive.
Plugins: CamelCrusher, IVGI, DC1A2, Density mk III, W1 Limiter, TAL Reverb II, epicVerb, TAL Dub Delay, TAL Dub III, Blue Cat's Triple EQ, TAL USEq

Thank you folks for the awesome Hive presets! I used a whole bunch with a bit of tweaking here and there. Had quite a lot of fun with Hive, even though the stuck key bug drove me crazy a couple of times. Now, good luck everybody. :phones:
Last edited by sawsq on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Szlartibartfaszt wrote:!
I lmfao everytime i usee ur username

sawsq wrote:Another OSC noob here :)
Welcome :party: :party: :party:

No OSC Hive for me too busy :(
Fabrizio

Here goes the kit i promised.
A few more unused presets i made.

Mechanical Hive Kit

And here the quick tutorial to make a quick track.

·Recording ideas:
Always that you are far from home, take a recorder or even your own smartphone.
This way, while you are doing "nothing" related to music but you want to take advantage of your time, you always can drop melody lines or ideas into your recordings, so as far as you take home again, instead of stay in front of computer with no ideas, you will have a nice amount of ideas to start with and get inspired.

·Use/create templates:
Whatever you do one day, an automation, a preset, a channel template, always create and use them.
This works to make faster tracks. You will be using those presets all your life, after all, were created by you, you know that sooner or later, you will be using the same channel VST order in the mixer rack, the same style of automations or sounds.
If something works for you, like your 'already made channel split' for Mastering with these VSTs and in this order, why don't you use it again?
Your ears are accustomed to certain freqs and dynamics, your brain knows what and how to do what you usually do in your tracks. So use your own templates to save time, your ears are accustomed to THAT vibe.
You like what you saved the another day? Then you will like it when load it again.
Your brain knows what you love.

·Use/download synth factory presets and from others:
Don't worry about using this or to tweak those sounds in the factory or even use them as they are. Presets are a nice way to "Take and Run" for new ideas. A great time saver.

·Starting the track for what works for you:
If you like to start by drums, go ahead. If you like pads, it works too. The main reason of this is to keep you motivated. No motivation = Time waster.
Use these "depressive" moments to take a rest, and don't force yourself to the limits, or you'll get overwhelmed. And to get overwhelmed = Time waster.

·Moving Forward:
Instead of being creating a whole track from beginning to end, try to imagine parts of it, it will make glory in your creation flow.
Sometimes we get stuck with "How could i continue this?". Don't waste time, start a new idea that will fit nicely in the next minute of the same track. Don't get stuck, move forward, and then use transitions to glue each part.
Personally, i never start by the opening, i usually start by the main part, this is also useful to get you inspired and motivated by your own idea.
The same for another new track, if you don't like what you are doing actually and you feel that your track won't get any better, move forward a start a new one. Motivation is everything.

·Render the track for mixing:
As same as first point, when you have your whole track completed, and you are not at home, render your non mixed track, listen to it while you are at streets or taking a walk, something that allow you to use your ears in the meanwhile.
You can check bad parts, wrong structures, EQ, compression, etc, so next time you arrive at home, you know what to do!

·Learn what you like:
The fast you know how a synth works, the faster you will do the whole track. This also works for any other plugin. So read the godamn manuals if you think it is something from outta space.

Sumarizing:
·While you are not using your ears while you are not at home, use your smartphone to drop and record lines, notes, or listening the whole mix while you are busy doing anything else.
·Use or tweak presets, they were made for that purpose.
·Create your own templates. Your brain knows how you work and what you like. Your own templates and presets will be like looking yourself in a mirror (I liked what i saved, i like what i loaded)
·Don't get stuck, move forward, organize your stuff, also take a rest sometimes. Don't force yourself and save time. Motivation is everything.

I hope it works for someone.

@Brian: Copy this in a TXT file or something, hahaha. :smack:

Just a side note: Download now that you can all my free tracks from Soundcloud, as i don't have "Pro" account anymore and i need 'upload' space, i will be deleting all those free tracks this next February.
And probably a good amount of non free tracks during the year. I need a reboot.
Anyway, you always can download the most part of my tracks from OSC Site and Archive.org.

Have a nice day and good luck everyone! :)
Last edited by IrionDaRonin on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SKYZONE wrote:No OSC Hive for me too busy :(
Fabrizio
Sigh :( ... we'll miss your entry ... see you next time round then? :tu:

dB

Here we go again...
Append my modest track to a list of great entries so far.

https://soundcloud.com/mtle-1/themes-fr ... walk-part1

"Themes from Mindwalk" is a series of new tracks based on ONE of my old Mods from 1996. The original "Mindwalk" track contanis some melodies I want to rearrange to separate songs.
This is Part 1 of 12. All parts will be done in One Synth Challenge 2015. Hopefully.

DAWs (so far) ;)
ProTracker (1996 - original sample based track)
OpenMPT (2013 - Converting Amiga Mod to Midi),
Reaper (now - complete new Track based on taken melody line(s))

32 instances of U-he Hive synth (in DEMO mode, no beta tester activation used, all patches from scratch)

Used Plugins

DAW:
ReaEQ, ReaComp, midi_note_filter, bassmanager

3rd Party:
TAL Dub Delay, TAL Filter 2, Tal Reverb III, epicVerb

Master:
ReaEQ, ReaXComp, AnSpec, TLs Maximizer, MSED, SPAN, masterlimiter, rbj12eq-teej, np1136peaklimiter, D2

DR8

Enjoy
MTLE

HIVE this my realy love trance style and ARP secthion. Iam create presets Hive secthion Fx this real effects popular ) please me full.

Klangmanipulation - Dont Believe The Hive

https://soundcloud.com/klangmanipulatio ... the-hive-1

KlangManipulation - Dont Believe The Hive
Genre: Electro

DAW: FL-Studio 11.1.1 with BLOCKS !!! ;)
-------------------------------------------------
20 used instances of Hive at all.
2x Kick - FX: parametric eq + peakcontroller for sidechaning bass
2x Snare (long&short) - FX: parametriv EQ + compressor
2x high-hat (Closed&open) - FX: parametric EQ
2x shakers type sound (long&short) - FX: parametric EQ
1x zap - FX: parametric eq + delay
2x whitenoise (up&down)
1x sub bass - FX: parametric EQ
1x bass add - FX: parametric EQ + limiter
1x arpeggio - FX: parametric EQ + limiter
2x Pad (combined) - FX: parametric eq
2x Melody (combined) - FX: parametric EQ + stereo enhancer + delay
1x solo pad - FX: parametric EQ
1x chord pad - FX: parametric EQ

drum channel: compressor + reverb
master channel: mastering compressor
all additional FX are FL-Studio native.
and a lot of automations

all sounds tweaked by myself. no available presets used!
music is a force... so stay with it !!!

SKYZONE wrote:No OSC Hive for me too busy :(
Fabrizio
that is a bummer man! Hopefully you've been too busy with fun stuff at least!

My entry - 9 instances of Hive with my own presets. No effects, just a little equalizing in Cubase.
Cheers
https://soundcloud.com/soundgalactic/sy ... 2015-01-31

Return to “Instruments”