TB ReelBus + Barricade = bang for the buck ITB mastering?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At this point I have pretty much everything I need except for a master limiter and something to "sweeten" a full mix, should I desire to do so.

After a lot of research it looks like the Toneboosters ReelBus + Barricade would be a pretty hard to beat combo for the price to accomplish these tasks. Can anybody think of anything better for the money?

I also have some great freeware like Limiter 6, Slick EQ, and Kotelnikov.

Toneboosters ReelBus on EVERY track. It adds a fullness to the mix. I sometimes add it to the kick as well if its missing impact. Haven't used Barricade before , but yeah Reelbus.

When you say EVERY track are you referring to all channels in a mixdown as well? Or just on the mix bus?

Those are two great plugs - money not being a consideration.

If you wanted to spend more money, I'd look at a combo of CDSM's Apex Tape Collection and either Pro-L or Invisible Limiter. All are good! :)

Not too big a fan of ReelBus, but Barricade is on the master in all of my tracks.
For the few bucks it costs, it's truly a performer and a keeper.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Barricade its the most transparent limiter ever build but depends how u define mastering.Nowadays mastering means get a nice sounding track and squash it to death hehee :-D !
If you want smooth a bit louder mix its more then enough !
Barricade its not good for pushing it will eat the lowend its nice for very small gain reduction because doesn't have imprint on the sound.
Reelbus its really fat i tried it against Satin way better then the u he one .. Its the most close to the Uad Ampex witch its the best tape emulation for me !

The mixbus and sometimes the drums.

sidrat wrote:Those are two great plugs - money not being a consideration.

If you wanted to spend more money, I'd look at a combo of CDSM's Apex Tape Collection and either Pro-L or Invisible Limiter. All are good! :)
+1. Those are my thoughts exactly as well. By the way, I like the combo of the Apex Collection with Invisible Limiter :tu:

AC222 wrote:
sidrat wrote:Those are two great plugs - money not being a consideration.

+1. Those are my thoughts exactly as well. By the way, I like the combo of the Apex Collection with Invisible Limiter :tu:
Nice to know I'm not alone! :tu:

FWIW, I'll use ReelBus on groups and Apex on the Master (just easier on the CPU)... then, Invisible Limiter to finish things off.

Slick eq + Kotelnikov + limiter No6 = quality bang for no bucks! ;)

I wouldn't put Reelbus on a master ever. Barricade is great for dense material but far from the most transparent limiter out there. Good luck finding a mastering engineer that uses Barricade as their main limiter!

Another good option for light limiting is the W1 and again, completely free! :)

As for Satin, I have it and have used it on one master in 18 months. It respects complex mixes far better than Reelbus but a tape plug in simply isn't something you often need or want on a master.

EQ is by far the most important and used processor in mastering so ensure you have a good one as it Will serve you well for all audio production tasks, not just mastering.

@sidrat, mastering in a fresh project with your bounced file would be far better than adding plugins to your master channel. You want to be using the highest quality plugs on the master not low CPU / latency stuff in the mix. Using a higher quality plugin for channels and groups than the master doesn't make sense so separate the mixing and mastering process and you will be more objective and not restricted in your choice of processors.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:@sidrat, mastering in a fresh project with your bounced file would be far better than adding plugins to your master channel. You want to be using the highest quality plugs on the master not low CPU / latency stuff in the mix. Using a higher quality plugin for channels and groups than the master doesn't make sense so separate the mixing and mastering process and you will be more objective and not restricted in your choice of processors.

Cheers

Scorb
Hi, Scorb. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes, I use a bounced file for my final processing. I just like using Reelbus during mix down on things like groups, fx, etc. I usually use the Apex on stuff like (some) tracks and the master (usually, along with a few other goodies). :wink:

djscorb wrote: As for Satin, I have it and have used it on one master in 18 months. It respects complex mixes far better than Reelbus but a tape plug in simply isn't something you often need or want on a master.
As always, it depends.
Sometimes it's just perfect,...
if you want to eliminate some peaks and add a little saturation, Satin may be perfect.

Return to “Effects”