New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Neon Breath wrote:Nope, Stereo now.
Ah, ok.

Thanks for the replies. Can someone confirm that drag and drop is possible with The Mangle (Win7) ?
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:Thanks for the replies. Can someone confirm that drag and drop is possible with The Mangle (Win7) ?
yes
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

resistent wrote:Thanks for the replies. Can someone confirm that drag and drop is possible with The Mangle (Win7) ?
yes (in Reaper)

Works in Win 8.1, too.
It's easy if you know how

Could anyone recomend some sample libraries to use with this or other granulars? Something with diverse and organic content, some acoustic instruments and so on?

Thanks!
dedication to flying

Waterphone, cello, violin, piano destruction?
http://www.patchpool.de/samples_instruments.html

When you've exhausted Simon's stuff (2016?), try Soundiron's Ironpacks (which load nicely into Alchemy too) or even some of the free material at 99 Sounds :D
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Sampleconstruct wrote:Waterphone, cello, violin, piano destruction?

Thanks will check it out, your granular banks for padshop are great BTW, but there is just so much money for all this stuff.
dedication to flying

There's millions of free sounds out there and you can always do your own recordings.
The beauty of granular synthesis is, that pretty much everything can become interesting when treated right and finding that sweetspot yourself is the most fun, be it in Granite, The Mangle, Iris 2, DRON-E, Harmor, tcStretch or any other tool in that realm. Sometimes it's the weirdest things that turn out best. :-)

SampleRadar is one source that has huge amounts of free samples of all kinds:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/sam ... ads-217833
Just one example though.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

rod_zero wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Waterphone, cello, violin, piano destruction?

Thanks will check it out, your granular banks for padshop are great BTW, but there is just so much money for all this stuff.
Thank's for the flowers.

...which doesn't mean you can't have dedicated samples for granular synthesis. Some of them seem to give much better results than others. At the same time they vary in purpose - acoustic instruments for pads, Glitchmachines stuff for weird FX. But this is not the rule and every single sample needs to be checked.
I started to build custom library of free samples, but maybe someone already did it?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Okay, been really diving into this thing and it very well be my new addiction. In fact, I may never get any work done again.

This is what I've been doing using Cubase 7 and my collection of VSTs (about 120 plus)

1) Load up 3 different VSTs. Doesn't even matter which ones.

2) Load up a different sound in each one.

3) Play each one for about 5 second intervals consecutively so you get kind of a wavetable effect. Obviously some level adjustments and/or FX may need to be added in order to get a fairly seamless transition between each synth. Or not, depending on what you're after.

4) Export the entire piece to a wav or MP3 file. I use MP3s because they're smaller.

5) Import the MP3 into Mangle and go to work.

For complex granular shenanigans I'll import several different waves and process each one to create, well, you gotta hear this stuff to believe it.

Now I've got a lot of great synths, but combining them like this and layering them like I have, well, I've come up with some sounds that none of them on their own can do.

This Mangle is the real deal. You're limited only by your imagination. While the interface is fairly simple, and I know there are those who wish it had more processing features (more filter, modulators, etc.) you can absolutely come up with some amazing sounds depending on your sound source. Yeah, combining Omnisphere, Zebra 2 and Serum doesn't hurt. But I'm sure you can get some incredible sound with much more ordinary synths if you take the time to really dive into the whole process from wav creation to processing.

Best $42 I've spent this year.

Happy Granularizing.

Hi all,

I am highly tempted by the Mangle.
My issue is that his developer did not post anything on the web since October 2014.
I tried to send him an email, and the address was broken.
It looks like he disappeared :?

I'm reluctant to send him money if I'm not sure I will be able to download his software.

Does someone tried to buy The Mangle recently?

Thanks!

Luc
lucky one - Atmospheric Electro Rock - on SoundCloud - on Facebook - on Spotify

I bought it recently without issue. I didn't click with it immediately and it has a fairly troubling bug in Cubase at the moment, but perhaps I'll play with it again at some point.

Return to “Instruments”