PSP L’otary

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PSP L'otary

Ditto! Sound is number one, and L'otary sounds amazing. Really good job Mateusz!

PSP wrote:Sorry for a delayed answer we were exhibiting at NAMM.
Thank you all for your comments about the PSP L'otary referring to its sound and also to its high CPU usage.

There are several reasons why the CPU usage is enormously high in this new plugin.
First of all we didn't accept any compromise when creating this plugin. The rotary speaker combines electrical, electroacoustical and of course acoustical phenomena which have to be taken into account for a honest emulation. The latter is the hardest to do from the development point of view and from the processing cost of view as well. We put every piece of code with sound quality in mind until we got a credible result. This costs a lot, a lot of CPU cycles. The emulation of the rotating horn and the drum takes some 95% of the CPU consumption of the plugin. Turning off Ambience, Mechanics, Amp section or animation doesn't change it considerably.

We worked hard to make a version usable in normal recording, mixing situations and we have added a Low CPU mode which is band limited yet can sound often more resembling the real rotary speaker as the original speaker has also a similarly limited bandwidth.

Some users report CPU usage up to 50% of a contemporary multi core CPU. This is not exactly true. This value refers to a single core usage. A plugin like PSP L'otary cannot split its processing across multiple cores. This means that if the reported CPU usage reflected entire CPU load a single core would work with a 200-600% of load per a single core which is not feasible.

Here at the NAMM show we present the L'otary playing live with a high quality VI organs on a seven years old Macbook Pro run on Core2 Duo CPU. It works fine although we would not be able to use this computer to handle a mixing session with L'otary. Please bear in mind that usually in audio hosts a single plugin chain (the virtual instrument and its following plug-ins on the same channel) are using the same CPU core. In this situation it doesn't help if the CPU has 4 or 6 cores (8 or 12 virtual ones).

We understand that there are configurations based on top notch computers which cannot handle the L'otary in the way a user would wish to use it. This is why we are further working on the algorithm development to reduce its CPU costs without any quality degradation. The updated version with a reduced CPU hunger should be available soon.

All best regards,

Mateusz Wozniak
PSPaudioware.com
IMO, if you're going to go out and try to emulate some hardware, go all out and try to emulate it the best you can with software. I think you've done a great job here. I'm sure with time you'll find some ways to cut down on the CPU, but you've offered a number of options to cut back on the CPU usage. As a big user of hardware and Diva, another VST with high CPU consumption, this really doesn't bother me.

I'm a big fan. Kudos on a great plug, and BTW introducing me to PSP as I've since gone NobleQ as well.

Very nice! Sounds really good to my ears. The GUI is simple and usable, and a definite improvement over their PSP-85 (one day PSP will get a high-res monitor and go "OMG!"). CPU doesn't bother me; you can always render in Brilliant mode. My only FR is a Wet/Dry knob: it can easily be used as a dosed modulation effect.

Funny that this L´ortary should come up, I just got the UVI Retro Organs and love it, they've recorded tonnes of files from a variety of top tuned Organs both with rotary at fast and slow speeds and without, but I had thought not having a seamless modulation control in a high end effect I'd look up the offerings available in Rotary effects and was drawn to Meldaproductions Vintage Rotary and Rotary, after a quick read through this thread it seems that several people think this L' rotary by psp is very special indeed. Knowing little about this area I'll watch this thread with interest in hopes that there will be some more knowledgeable about the qualities of the other offerings and if we really have the one to get in the PSP version.

I've just now set the Demo in Audio Hijack Pro, in this configuration CPU usage is almost never and issue, I'm sure using it within Numerology 4 Pro or Logic X L´otary it would suck the cycles out of my processors..

I use CPU heavy effects plugs in the external AU/VST chain device to get used to working with the effect on a few different types of source material, then record the effect onto into a file then reimport it into a Daw for mixing.

At first listen it certainly doesn't degrade the signal, and the effects seems smooth and very easy to program.. I like it, do I want it or need it? hmm that will take some deep thinking and experimenting..

I have no issue with the GUI it's easy to read and functional..

This might be one to get to pair with the UVI Retro Organs..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I use it with UVI Retro Organs. It's a fantastic combination!! Love Melda too, but it sounds like an effect (a brilliant one!), whereas the PSP sounds like the real deal.

It's very nice!!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Twrogstudio wrote:I use it with UVI Retro Organs. It's a fantastic combination!! Love Melda too, but it sounds like an effect (a brilliant one!), whereas the PSP sounds like the real deal.
I think I'm in the mood for the real deal these days, when I'm using something like Retro Organs with old Original Organs that have been so painstakingly optimised and recorded.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Twrogstudio wrote:I use it with UVI Retro Organs. It's a fantastic combination!! Love Melda too, but it sounds like an effect (a brilliant one!), whereas the PSP sounds like the real deal.
I think I'm in the mood for the real deal these days, when I'm using something like Retro Organs with old Original Organs that have been so painstakingly optimised and recorded.
Sounds hella good w/ my DI'd Rhodes! ;)

PSP L' otary goes up to full price at midnight tonight, so if anyone is missing an interesting and high quality rotary effect, jump on it now.. Especially if you are State Side it's a good price, .. So what can I say. I got the cheaper dea by buying it nowl saved nearly 30% but it's more expensive now because of the Exchange rates. I suppose the $US is gain even more against the € in the next while, oh well. I'm sorted for software at preset..

Main point is if you need Rotary, I think the L' otary is hard to beat. Logic X has a pretty nice rotary effect two, but not quite up there with the best...

Now I*ve loaded it up into a chain with the Mach V 3.2.1 playing the UVI Retro Organ, then into L' otary then furtherly into a Arts Acoustic CL series compressor before going into a Single engine configuration of 2C's B2, it really uncanny sitting here playing it closing my eyes and hearing the sound of this big old organ machine..LOVE IT!

Thanks to PSP L ' ohtary, and the UVI Retro Organs teams..

PSP L' otary goes up to full price at midnight tonight, so if anyone is missing an interesting and high quality rotary effect, jump on it now.. Especially if you are State Side it's a good price, .. So what can I say. I got the cheaper dea by buying it nowl saved nearly 30% but it's more expensive now because of the Exchange rates. I suppose the $US is gain even more against the € in the next while, oh well. I'm sorted for software at preset..

Main point is if you need Rotary, I think the L' otary is hard to beat. Logic X has a pretty nice rotary effect two, but not quite up there with the best...

Edit: after midnight, long after midnight
Well now I own it!
I've loaded it up into a chain with the Mach V 3.2.1 playing the UVI Retro Organ, then into L' otary then furtherly into a Arts Acoustic CL series compressor before going into a Single engine configuration of 2C's B2, it really uncanny sitting here playing it closing my eyes and hearing the sound of this big old organ machine..LOVE IT!

Thanks to PSP L ' otary, and the UVI Retro Organs teams..

I'm not having a problem so far as CPU usage is concerned with my 3.1 Ghz i5 iMac in Logic X.. But I'm just jamming with solo right now.. I'll check in again when I load up the Acoustic Samples Jbass and a Jazz drum kit.. One point on my setup though the sampled instruments don't demand much of the computer here as it's an Organ you don't need crossfade layers or fancy Dsp..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

actually it doesn't go up to full price until monday. we have until midnight sunday.

I'm just going by what it says on the Website order page..

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I'm just going by what it says on the Website order page..
I'd like to pick this up while on sale but the CPU usage prevents it from being practical at the moment and I don't buy software based on promised updates. I hope that if they can reduce CPU usage they may offer the discount again, or at least new demo periods.

Spent a while today with this and the others I have (MRotary, VB3FX, Amplitube, Guitar Rig), and it sounds really good, complex and rich and not effect-like. All of these are a bit more band limited on top than I wish, even though I'm sure that's realistic. Can sort of fix it with EQ, but not completely, and I'm ok w that.

CPU hit is in fact a bitch, 35-40% in Studio One on my i7 laptop in economy mode, 75%-ish in brilliant.

I like VB3FX and MRotary pretty much, wasn't super discontent with them before this came out, but L’otary is better. Need to finish arguing with myself about whether the CPU usage is practical enough to be usable.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I'm just going by what it says on the Website order page..
ya, the website says until the 1st of Feb, not the 31st of Jan.

anyway:
psp newsletter type email wrote: Dear user,

We would like to remind you that Sunday is the last day of our introductory 30% OFFer for our brand new PSP L’otary plug-in. Starting from Monday (2nd February 2015) the regular price of $99* will be applied. As a registered user of our other effects plug-ins you... <snip> etc etc

Return to “Effects”