Controller keyboard

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have had a trawl around the site and good old google but I'm getting frustrated by the lack of what I'm looking for........well, at least being able to find what I'm looking for.

In a perfect world I want the following......

- a 76 or 88 key synth action controller keyboard

- lovely keybed

- at least ports for one sustain pedal AND expression pedal

- pushing it now but would prefer a roland style pitch bend stick but wheels will do.

What are my options? Don't want to spend more than £500 and would prefer to buy new. Although I'm saying synth action, if something had a lovely light key feel but was classed as weighted then I'd consider it. If I need to look 2nd hand, so be it......oh for the days of my old Trinity V3 pro!!

I don't know how reliable they are after 30 years but the KX88 is still available 2nd hand :D By many considered to be the best keybed ever!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Kx88-Mid ... 418fb85237
Newer controllers include Arturia Keylab 88 and Akai MPK88. People tend to have gripes about the keybed though as it tends to be mechanically noisy. There's some youtube videos demonstrating just that.

If I didn't have my PC3X already, I'd probably for for something 2nd hand.
If you want the Roland style pitchbend you need to buy...well Roland :lol:
A-88 looks very nice but the absence of knobs and faders bugs me.

Thanks for that. It seems my choice at the minute is between the Roland A-88 and the Casio Privia PX5S.....and haven't completely ruled out the Nektar LX88 if there is a workaround regarding an expression pedal.

No idea what to do!! :D

Do you need many knobs and sliders? If not I would go with the A-88. Roland keybeds (Fatar?) are pretty good.

Went with the Privia PX5S. Reviews of it are stunning for the price. Pretty much the same price as the A-88 and this is a superb stage piano etc., on top of a better keybed. Have been frying my head over the past few days but pretty happy with my decision.

One annoyance is the expression pedal shizzle.........I'll get that sorted one way or another though.

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear more about this :-)

Will do mate. The tri-sensor keybed is supposedly lovely so looking forward to that. If the weighted action is a pain with certain VSTs (have a feeling it won't be) but would consider getting a midi merge box.

Also, while the lack of a proper expression pedal port is frustrating there are various workarounds.

Really looking forward to getting it and I'll definitely give my mpressions asap.

Got my PX5S - I never thought I'd be buying a Casio!! But it is very impressive. Lovely piano and elec pianos - haven't dug too deep in to the stage settings yet. But the action is fantastic and it's also lightweight (24lbs).

I've been looking for an 88 key controller but ideally wanted synth action because of VSTs but the action is so good on the Casio PX5S that I wasn't having any problems with a run through today.

For anyone looking a well priced 88 key stage piano and/or controller then it would be madness not to check this out.

8) Glad you got it :-)'
It's on my 88 controller list, if I am to change my current Kurzweil.

Here's a review of the Casio
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul14/a ... a-px5s.htm
They like it :D

Akai MPK88 good controller but keys are very noisy

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”