PSP L’otary

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PSP L'otary

This is working for me on a 5 y.o. i7 920. As far as CPU goes, I expect CPUs to get faster progressively - as they have done since I started in the box stuff in the 90s - so it will become a non-issue over time. What I am most happy with is the sound being so convincing and the discount price which is more than fair.

Great to see PSP, who got me started with the Mix Pack + Stereo Pack in the Logic Group buy about 17 years ago, still making great sounding stuff and supporting and updating everything they have released over that time.
Last edited by egbert on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:I'm just going by what it says on the Website order page..
I'd like to pick this up while on sale but the CPU usage prevents it from being practical at the moment and I don't buy software based on promised updates. I hope that if they can reduce CPU usage they may offer the discount again, or at least new demo periods.
Tried the demo and the CPU isn't any higher than one would expect. I7 Sandybridge.

Do all PSP plugs use Serial protection?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
I'd like to pick this up while on sale but the CPU usage prevents it from being practical at the moment and I don't buy software based on promised updates. I hope that if they can reduce CPU usage they may offer the discount again, or at least new demo periods.
Tried the demo and the CPU isn't any higher than one would expect. I7 Sandybridge.

These days (on PC at least) they have a reg key file which inserts into the registry - there is a corresponding file that removes the registration key. Once registered, your name is in the about box on the plugin - which can be opened by clicking on the GUI.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Daags wrote:
ya, the website says until the 1st of Feb, not the 31st of Jan.

anyway:
psp newsletter type email wrote: Dear user,

We would like to remind you that Sunday is the last day of our introductory 30% OFFer for our brand new PSP L’otary plug-in. Starting from Monday (2nd February 2015) the regular price of $99* will be applied. As a registered user of our other effects plug-ins you... <snip> etc etc
Okay okay! Hooray for being early then..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

electro wrote:

Yeah, all my studio gear is torn down for construction/cleaning but i still use this crappy old core2 duo net connected computer 4GB ramm in the meantime.... for ideas and testing downloads and whatever....I thought id be wasting my time even attempting to use this plugin (the requirements even say i5 on the PSP website) but this ole crapper runs 2 instances in brilliant mode plus tax...so im not sure if the issues have been resolved? or im just one of the lucky ones? (lol no chance of that!!)...and yeah the plugin is good IMO.
There ya have it...

I should really be at work doing practical things, but I just haven't been able to tear myself away from my budding Jazz group.. The PSP L ' Ortary is really fun to tweak and has pretty well all the controls needed and in a tight and effective interface that doesn't fill up the space on the screen.. Just right for this kind of effect IMO.

I like how it's easy to envision the structure of the UI, and how I find it easy to zero in on just that aspect of the sound that needs attention..

I use it as an inline/insert effect followed by a compressor and a reverb, I think though I'm discovering if there is something about the sound that is troubling I need to look at the source sound, choose one that perhaps is more suitable to the L ' Ortary effect..

It's a learning process but not a long one to get the best out of this effect..

I think where it will really shine is when working with the effected organ sounds in a typical setting like a Jazz trio where it helps to glue/meld the organ to the other sound elements..

Picked this one up. Like all things PSP, the sound was too good to pass up.

I've run into something I should have noticed, not sure what to make of it. I've been trying this mostly as a guitarist, after a fairly bright semi-crunchy Amplitube Orange rig, and liking it. However, I just realized I was also using the Orange cab, like I was mic-ing that amp and running that through a Leslie. When I took the cab and mics out of the picture and went straight into the Leslie, much more common, I wasn't able to get rid of some of the buzzy high frequency harmonics coming from the amp distortion. It's like a Leslie with way-highs that they really don't have.

The Orange cab and mic setup with a Leslie sounds great, nice amount of top, without any of that stuff. I'm sure it's in the amp, like a real one, but guitar cabs typically have peaks in the mid-highs, then drop like a rock above that, so you don't hear it, and the net response is very cool. A real Leslie doesn't have those highs either.

In comparison, MRotary and VB3FX sound much better without the guitar cab and mics in the picture, instead of two stages of emulated speaker.

Anybody else run into this? Have you tried it with your normal guitar setups, not completely clean?

It's also possible I've totally lost perspective after messing w this stuff for four+ hours.

Amp head should always go into the Leslie with cab bypassed.

dwozzle wrote:I've run into something I should have noticed, not sure what to make of it. I've been trying this mostly as a guitarist, after a fairly bright semi-crunchy Amplitube Orange rig, and liking it. However, I just realized I was also using the Orange cab, like I was mic-ing that amp and running that through a Leslie. When I took the cab and mics out of the picture and went straight into the Leslie, much more common, I wasn't able to get rid of some of the buzzy high frequency harmonics coming from the amp distortion. It's like a Leslie with way-highs that they really don't have.

The Orange cab and mic setup with a Leslie sounds great, nice amount of top, without any of that stuff. I'm sure it's in the amp, like a real one, but guitar cabs typically have peaks in the mid-highs, then drop like a rock above that, so you don't hear it, and the net response is very cool. A real Leslie doesn't have those highs either.

In comparison, MRotary and VB3FX sound much better without the guitar cab and mics in the picture, instead of two stages of emulated speaker.

Anybody else run into this? Have you tried it with your normal guitar setups, not completely clean?

It's also possible I've totally lost perspective after messing w this stuff for four+ hours.
yes, i noticed this too, playing guitar into ampsim (cab disabled) to L'otary while demoing. The sound is there, but the cab/speaker modelling interaction seems to be missing or needs a high end roll off after 12khz or something. Funny thing, is that it actually sounds better when placed before an ampsim in the various stereo setup modes. Mono works but does not sound as good. VB3 has been my goto guitar Leslie fx emulation for years, whether I used it with the ampsim cab/speaker enabled or not (after or before the ampsim). Demoed the Melda one some time ago, sounded better with guitar than PSP, but still not as good and featured filled as VB3's Fx leslie section. Amplitube 3's leslie would be a close 2nd, as far as leslie guitar fx go, if I want that Trey Anastasio or Stevie Ray fusion rotating spekaer sound. But I am still waiting for a dedicated emulation of one of the mono leslie pedal effects that you would stick in front of your amp if you don't have a real leslie to run it through, like the Hughes N Kettner Rotosphere or some of the newer incarnations of Leslie effect pedals.

I bought the L'otary undemoed and don't regret it for a moment. On the contrary, I'm thrilled by the detaied sensuality of the sound (complete with the adjustable 'whoosh' of the rotating horns) and the tweakability. I've also got VB3, Melda Vintage Rotary and the Crumar MOJO h/w – all in an effort to compensate for selling my M100 and 147 yers ago – but I think that L'otary will be my goto organ Leslie from now on.

I have one (OK, one and a half) request on my wishlist for L'otary:

A toggle mode for the sustain pedal chorale/tremolo switch. I find it uncomfortable and restraining to have to keep my foot pressed on the pedal in order to maintain the tremolo, and switching instead with the MW occupies one hand.

VB3 and Vintage Rotary both have this toggle option.

The 'half request': VB3 has an optional solenoid 'click' when switching speeds, just like a real, electromechanical Leslie. It would be great if PSP would eventually include a similar effect in L'otary, too.

Anyway, a great s/w Leslie, in my opinion!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Agree that the rotary speed control needs modification. I'd like to be able to program a single knob, fader, modwheel, whatever to let me go from slow to fast and stop just like the rotary speed switch you'd have on a Hammond. How am I supposed to learn how to properly play A Whiter Shade of Pale without that?

I think the modeling on L'otary edges out the Melda

Has anyone downloaded the updated version of this yet? It said there were CPU performance enhancements...wondering how big?

I probably won't be able to get to it til this weekend, but curious about it if anyone knows...

I''ve been running the PSP L'OTARY 1.01 this evening as I watch a Philadephia Story with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart.. Great plug in the L'OTARY and I've finally found the non rotary presets in my UVI Retro Organ library. Tweaked the L'OTARY found some really choice instruments to run through it. I think it excellent now as I was running already rotary effected instruments through it before and it got a little muddy. Now it all works really well and is really enjoyable to play.. I just need to study up on organ playing as I'm mostly a pianist, which gives me the necessary legato touch, but not the organ jamming mentality ... So much to learn.... One thing I notice is that the visual representation of the rotary action slows to a halt if I have other plugs taking up CPU bandwidth, perhaps this is how they got increased CPU effciency, good trade of IMO..

I think the L'OTARY needs careful tweaking to get the most out of it.. But it's fun to work with..

Return to “Effects”