How do you like BreakTweaker?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Naenyn wrote:I like BreakTweaker quite a bit. It has been my primary drum machine of late. I haven't messed with its synth modules though .. I've only used my own samples. It is a quick and easy tool to use.

That said, I have a weakness for Vengeance's plugins. They're all fantastic. I haven't spent much time with Phalanx, but from the cursory look I've given it, it does seem very powerful.

Can't really go wrong either way. Although, I wish Phalanx had a sequencer...

I got because its quick and I hate getting bogged down with the drums.
It is quick and very east to get up and going and sounds good.

I purchased it a sale price so it was well worth the cost.
I hope they do some upgrades because it has much potential.
With a few important additions it could be a very powerful tool.

noiseboyuk wrote:
stikygum wrote:I just don't understand why Izotope released this without being able to see the full 2 bars, better effects, more sample editing option like Phalanx. It just feels unfinished so far to me. It's only going to be used as a specific task tool like I mentioned because it just doesn't offer enough to be one of the main tools.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I guess the iZotope way is to release a new version with an upgrade price at some point. I feel a bit of an idiot buying it to be honest - I did try the demo, but it was only when I played around with the full library in anger I really appreciated the shortcomings. Maybe they'll give it a thorough overhaul for v2 - it sure needs it.
Cough …. after Iris 2 and Ozone 6 I wouldn't be holding out for that! A downgrade is more likely :(

lnikj wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:
stikygum wrote:I just don't understand why Izotope released this without being able to see the full 2 bars, better effects, more sample editing option like Phalanx. It just feels unfinished so far to me. It's only going to be used as a specific task tool like I mentioned because it just doesn't offer enough to be one of the main tools.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I guess the iZotope way is to release a new version with an upgrade price at some point. I feel a bit of an idiot buying it to be honest - I did try the demo, but it was only when I played around with the full library in anger I really appreciated the shortcomings. Maybe they'll give it a thorough overhaul for v2 - it sure needs it.
Cough …. after Iris 2 and Ozone 6 I wouldn't be holding out for that! A downgrade is more likely :(
I don't use either but checked out the trial of Ozone 6 and thought it looked pretty good (I just have tons of other mastering options). Significantly, the UI had been overhauled, and the UI is a lot of my problem with Breaktweaker.

EDIT - by UI I don't mean the look of it of course, I mean the way we interact with it. It's just horrible. I fired it up again and I can't think what possessed me to buy the damn thing.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I've been on a bit of a spending spree and I saw it was $99 at guitar center (online download) and I picked it up. I also saw the upgrade to the expanded was $99 at JRRshop so I picked that up, too (for some reason, it was only $84 when I put it in my cart - group buy or something - gotta love jrr...). It was kind of an impulse buy - but I couldn't justify paying the crazy list price. I figured even if I didn't use it, all the samples are .wav so I could at least use the drum sounds.

Anyway, I'm surprised how much I'm loving this thing. I have tons of drum solutions (maschine, rmx, etc) - but this does some stuff the others don't do. I'm not using micro-edits for those zappy stutter things, more like cool drum rolls and stuff. I'm surprised how good everything I'm making sounds (by my standards).

On paper, there's a lot of wrong things with this (having to scroll to see the two bars, only 2 bars, only 6 slots, lack of certain effects, the list price, etc) - but there are also a lot of workarounds and unique things - making a layered drum has never been easier. each note you put down is treated separately - so you could make a bass line by just changing the pitch of each note.

I haven't delved too much into the synth section, It seems pretty deep, but it doesn't seem that drum oriented. Maschine or tremor seems more suited for drum sound synthesis - but I could be wrong. I haven't seen any drum presets that just use the synthesis engine w/o samples.

jeffb01 wrote:I've been on a bit of a spending spree and I saw it was $99 at guitar center (online download) and I picked it up. I also saw the upgrade to the expanded was $99 at JRRshop so I picked that up, too (for some reason, it was only $84 when I put it in my cart - group buy or something - gotta love jrr...). It was kind of an impulse buy - but I couldn't justify paying the crazy list price. I figured even if I didn't use it, all the samples are .wav so I could at least use the drum sounds.

Anyway, I'm surprised how much I'm loving this thing. I have tons of drum solutions (maschine, rmx, etc) - but this does some stuff the others don't do. I'm not using micro-edits for those zappy stutter things, more like cool drum rolls and stuff. I'm surprised how good everything I'm making sounds (by my standards).

On paper, there's a lot of wrong things with this (having to scroll to see the two bars, only 2 bars, only 6 slots, lack of certain effects, the list price, etc) - but there are also a lot of workarounds and unique things - making a layered drum has never been easier. each note you put down is treated separately - so you could make a bass line by just changing the pitch of each note.

I haven't delved too much into the synth section, It seems pretty deep, but it doesn't seem that drum oriented. Maschine or tremor seems more suited for drum sound synthesis - but I could be wrong. I haven't seen any drum presets that just use the synthesis engine w/o samples.
At first I was about to pass on it, though it does some cool tricks. Then I found the drum synthesis. IMO, they really buried the lead. The drum synthesis is really good in this one. After a few minutes I had some great drum sounds and with the deal price I figured it was worth it. I don't use it all the time, but every now and then I find it to be really fun. I know it's got issues, but for $99 I think it's pretty amazing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Just picked up BreakTweaker for $49! It's really great for coming up with good sounding drums very quickly. It's a bit heavy on the CPU but it's manageable. The presets are great and if you're the type that is into deep tweaking, you can do that too.

I also saw this promo, but I don't think Breaktweaker can add any plus to Punch and Microtonic which i use. Moreover BreakTweaker is mainly good for one kind of drum sounds...

for me it's pretty convinient to simply trigger a whole drum pattern via midi. This gives is interesting for live jamming for example.

I picked it up last winter as part of another big promotion . . . I'm a fan, but then again, I produce the types of music that it's designed for. The biggest irritation for me is the scroll to see 2 bars things, but it's not a big deal. The lack of swing is also a bit annoying, but there are work arounds for that as well. I'll typically run a few different drum tracks in my songs, so if I really need a swing option, I'll load up ultrabeat or just use MIDI. For $49, I'd consider it a no brainer.

Its a pitty that iZotope has ruined possibilities to make the BT popular. Its the awful GUI which makes the DDLY look beautiful.
I got 7 other iZotope products and the BT gui is absolutely the rock bottom: messy blue, with amateurish, boring outlook is emphasized by the irritating, constantly blinking red DEMO sign, which made me quit the demo and uninstall it immediately. No matter how much potential there is, no matter what a no brainer the offer might be.
Too little time - too many unused plugins to invest one which makes me wanna brake up the whole laptop every time I open it. I'll wait the Geist2.
:tantrum:

Return to “Instruments”