One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MegaMeganium wrote:thanks. I'll edit my first post. that's my first post on this site so will it get a player?
No idea. It used to be that you needed 5 posts or maybe more...

Hi everyone, back for this months challenge

https://soundcloud.com/halcion-1/mindflame-ablaze

Hive fuxxed up for me bigtime, it crashed, sizzled and gobbled cpu up like crazy, so it was almost impossible to work with it properly. I had to bounce a lot of tracks just to keep the file working, therefor I cant tell exactly how many instances I have used, probably around 30.

other than that:

Fl studio 11

Fruity parametric eq 2
Fruity Limiter
Fruity convolver
Fruity delaybank
Lovephilter
Bionic delay
Transient
T-Force Trancegate
Modern deathcore
Ambience
Tal dubdelay
Tal reverb 2
Thrillseeker XTC

Bjulin wrote:Did you send me a pm?? Or to someone else?
I didn´t get any pm!
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that, it was someone else. I was merely curious because 'mastering' is a vague and ambiguous term. Thank you for your answer! : )

https://soundcloud.com/night-dweller/forgotten-fields

aaaaaaaaand there it goes! last minute submission as usual

turns out Hive is pretty good at making C64 drum sounds and 808/909 impersonations... and other pretty interesting sounds - this thing really shines when you use it in unconventional ways. welp, had lots of fun doing this over the last couple of days and i hope you enjoy it too!

made using Reaper 4.something
all patches from scratch
34x u-he Hive
26x MEqualizer
5x MUtility
5x GClip
3x FerricTDS
2x TAL Reverb III
2x Ambience
1x Transient
1x Rough Rider
1x GComp
1x TDR Feedback Compressor II
1x Loudmax
1x epicVerb
1x Replika

(hopefully these numbers are right)
Last edited by nitedwella on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LuxLucid wrote:
Bjulin wrote:Did you send me a pm?? Or to someone else?
I didn´t get any pm!
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that, it was someone else. I was merely curious because 'mastering' is a vague and ambiguous term. Thank you for your answer! : )
Really, though, it's not. It is the process after mixing: taking the pre-final form of a track and applying EQ/compression/limiting/etc. in order to make it as good as possible, and to sound as good as possible on multiple devices. Many people group mixing and mastering into one thing, but it is definitely a logically separate process. Chances are your master channel has some plugins on it serving some purposes of mastering. But this should predominantly happen _after_ the entire mix is done.

z.prime - Lawless

I wanted to do a certain type of style. But I sorta failed. So instead I got this. Hope it makes you feel something. :)

https://soundcloud.com/z_prime/zprime-lawless

Tracked in Bitwig Studio 1.1.4.

Hive Instances: 51

Bitwig Plugins:
* EQ-5
* EQ-2
* Distortion
* Reverb
* MIDI Note Pitch Shifter
* Note Mod
* Compressor
* Peak Limiter
* Transient Control
* Dynamics

Other Plugins:
* Limiter no6
* Dimension Expander
* Freeverb 3
* Nova-67P
* TDR Kotelnikov

Enjoy!

Orboscope wrote:Hive fuxxed up for me bigtime, it crashed, sizzled and gobbled cpu up like crazy, so it was almost impossible to work with it properly
Lucky for me, Hive was very stable. But it was a bit of a CPU hog compared to some of the other recent synths for some reason. My CPU was pretty much pegged with the 51 instances + the other plugins. Usually I'll be around 50% with the other synths we've had lately. Anyway, it sounds good but I'm not a fan of the layout to be honest. Maybe with some different filter types it could have some potential... I am spoiled by Serum. :)

z.prime wrote:Really, though, it's not. It is the process after mixing: taking the pre-final form of a track and applying EQ/compression/limiting/etc. in order to make it as good as possible, and to sound as good as possible on multiple devices. Many people group mixing and mastering into one thing, but it is definitely a logically separate process. Chances are your master channel has some plugins on it serving some purposes of mastering. But this should predominantly happen _after_ the entire mix is done.
But it is. In the audio/mastering engineering field, mastering is often done on just the final track (yes, probably what i have on my main buss). Some engineers avoid the term 'master buss' because of confusion. In more technical mastering, individual tracks (or yes, the project file itself) are finetuned.
I consider everything until that point mixing and mixing only. I mix tracks, I don't master them.
Just a matter of semantics, but I digress.

Hello,
Long time lurker, first time poster here! (Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge over the years...)

I'm really liking this synth, and this competition was a great exercise for learning how to use it to make various sounds...and for learning about synthesizing sounds in general. The mixing on the track still has a long way to go though.

The title refers to the speed (in knots) at which a jetliner climbs after leaving the runway. (The "V2" refers to the speed of the airplane when it rotates on the runway during take-off, and it depends upon many conditions such as weight, temperature, humidity, airport elevation, etc.) So, it's basically about flying heavy metal \m/

My last-minute submission uses 17 instances of Hive with all sounds made from scratch.

Recorded on Studio One Professional using the following S1 plug-ins:
Compressor x4
Multiband Dynamics x1 (on master)
Biaural Pan x2
Pro EQ x1

Plus the following free plug-ins:
TDR Kotelnikov x4 (free version)
TDR VOS SlickEQ x13 (free version)
GClip x2
Freeverb 3 x1
Molot x1 (one the percussion)
Rough Rider x1 (on kick)
Marvel GEQ x1 (on master)
Limiter No. 6 x1 (on master)

DR: 10

https://soundcloud.com/immanencer/v2plus10

Okay here's mine for this month

https://soundcloud.com/hehirman/h-man-smoke-em-out

Tried something a little different this month, hope you like it :) . Started working on an EDM thing but got bored with it rather quickly so I decided to take a leaf out of Photonic's book (and Dr.Bob et al) and try and do the "whole band" thing.

The title is just a play on the Hive thing, and the fact that I had been messing around with smoke in Blender.

Anyway, let the listening begin 8)

Synth:
Hive (Beta) - 54 Instances

DAW:
REAPER 4.76

Other FX:

Master Chain:
Beyerdynamic VS
W1 Limiter
Infinity Mastering Compressor

Track:
Reaxcomp
Reacomp
ReaEQ
ReaDelay
ReaVerberate

PoorPlate Reverb

Transient (Sleepy-Time DSP)
Molot
Nova67P
NightShine
Limiter No. 6

IVGI

SonEQ
SplineEQ
Moto Q
EasyQ

Here's my entry for the Hive OSC. At the time of this writing I haven't even heard it the whole way through :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/majestic_dawn/tj ... ve-osc-mix

I put the arrangement together in the last few days. But worked on soundesign, melodies and construction most of the month. I had each element of the track spread out it different projects, ie, kicks, bass, pads, leads, fx, etc. I didn't have enough time to add the the goa melodies I created or a lot of the other sounds, some really awesome ones, that will have to get add another time. I think I have a total of 500 presets I created and some 300 patterns of leads and pads. Only a handful were used. Will finish it up as intended within a few days and post the song as it was meant to be in case anyone is interested. I didn't have enough time so I uploaded the track as far as I got. It needs fixing up to say the least and more clever arrangements. Anyways, enjoy my humble entry for this month.

Sound Design/Construction Orion. Arranging Fl Studio

47 Hive instances. Very little fx this time due to internal fx.
2 Karma Delay
15 Melda eq
5 imageline Parametric Eq
3 flux bittersweet

Mastering. Not enough time. Though used basic fruity limiter on the kick and bass drum track.

* Side note. I participated in OSC before under the KVR name mysticvibes. I changed my kvr name to Tjgoa :)
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 am, edited 12 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

z.prime wrote:
Orboscope wrote:Hive fuxxed up for me bigtime, it crashed, sizzled and gobbled cpu up like crazy, so it was almost impossible to work with it properly
Lucky for me, Hive was very stable. But it was a bit of a CPU hog compared to some of the other recent synths for some reason. My CPU was pretty much pegged with the 51 instances + the other plugins. Usually I'll be around 50% with the other synths we've had lately...
Would be interessting if this depends to DAW. I use Reaper 4.731 and I have an i7 quadcore, running WinXP. My 31 instances uses 45%CPU at max and over the hole song 36% in avarage. The RAM usage was only 750MB. I use Reaper since a few month and I have the feeling, that I do not see so much CPU usage as in my Cubase 5 Essential before.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:
z.prime wrote:
Lucky for me, Hive was very stable. But it was a bit of a CPU hog compared to some of the other recent synths for some reason. My CPU was pretty much pegged with the 51 instances + the other plugins. Usually I'll be around 50% with the other synths we've had lately...
Would be interessting if this depends to DAW. I use Reaper 4.731 and I have an i7 quadcore, running WinXP. My 31 instances uses 45%CPU at max and over the hole song 36% in avarage. The RAM usage was only 750MB. I use Reaper since a few month and I have the feeling, that I do not see so much CPU usage as in my Cubase 5 Essential before.
Yeah me too P. Maybe it has to do with how many voices/unison etc. because I found the resource usage so low I honestly thought something was broken.

Most of my patches were single OSCs passing through (usually) both filters.

Edit: I feel compelled to make the point that choosing FX plugins wisely also makes a huge difference.

z.prime wrote: It is the process after mixing: taking the pre-final form of a track and applying EQ/compression/limiting/etc. in order to make it as good as possible, and to sound as good as possible on multiple devices. Many people group mixing and mastering into one thing, but it is definitely a logically separate process. Chances are your master channel has some plugins on it serving some purposes of mastering. But this should predominantly happen _after_ the entire mix is done.
This is what I did! But I do it directly in the project. I have listened to my track on earphones, in the car on a bad little speaker at work. Gone through all the channels, eq´ed them, compressed them (where neccessary). Used graphical analizer etc... I´m simply correcting some other stuff, too, if there´s something I didn´t realize before. So, - for me - this is mastering, since I try to get the best out of my mix. Maybe the original meaning of mastering is not 100% what I do. If I would bounce my track or put another compressor/limiter etc on my mainbus, I would destroy my mix completely, since I already maxed it out, imho.
So, sorry if I have confused anyone... I´ve got my own workflow. But in the end, it´s the same thing imho: "getting a nice, blasting final version of my track"
Let´s don´t discuss about trifles like "what is mastering"... let´s enjoy our tracks and have fun with the music. :hyper: :phones: :tu: 8)
https://audile.shop - the quality controlled sound shop
http://bjulin.de

Just wanna say thanks to all who've been listening to the track that i submitted for this OSC. It was an enjoyable experience, and i'm happy that the feedback have been positive. The experience have inspired me to start designing my own sound for my music.

If anyone is interested, here's the presets that I've made with Hive. Nothing fancy though, that's why it's called bread & butter.

https://db.tt/TLmIll6r
musisikamar.com

Return to “Instruments”