One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tjgoa wrote:Glad to see I wasn't the last entry :hihi: Looking forward to hearing all the tracks. A respectable 50+ entries :D Only wish I could've finished the track the way I intended. I definitely should work on the skill of finishing tracks in time or just faster in general. Prioritize arrangement while designing sounds and leads. Well, that's my note to self and late new years resolution. :tu:
One of the "challenges" of the OSC -- balancing time between sound design, composition, arranging and mixing! Everyone probably has their own way of doing this, it would be interesting to hear the various philosophies.

Personally, I focus on composition first -- get the chords or melody down (sometimes the chords come first other times the melody), then work on sound design for rhythm section -- drums and bass. At this point the sound design and arranging kind of come together into one process for background and lead sounds. The exception to this is when a sound kind of dictates a part -- sometimes the sound design can inspire a melody or bkgd part. The hardest part for me is deciding when to stop tweaking and start mixing.

As an old timer who came up in big studios, I believe one of the downsides of modern DAW's is that you can track and mix at the same time, which combines two processes that should be separate. Tracking and mixing at the same time may seem like a time saver, but I think it dilutes the tracking process and results in sub-par mixes. Unfortunately, the temptation to spend time tweaking tracks with eq, dynamics, etc... while composing is very great! In the old days mixing boards would be set up in "input mode" with the faders and channel strips used for input and the tape returns would come back to a simple monitor section that would be used for reference. During tracking you didn't mess around with EQ's or post-effects. You focused on recording clean tracks, and making every track sound as good as possible in it's raw state. When tracking was done, you would switch the board over and the faders and channel strips would become the output section with the full complement of EQ, compression, inserts and sends.

I try to follow the old discipline and track first, focusing on the sound of each track without all the stuff you can add in the mix, and then do a disciplined mix. Of course there is always a little sound tweaking during the mix, but I really try to keep that to a minimum, otherwise you never finish. I think a lot of synth producers mix as they go, and that results in sub-par mixes. Just my two cents....

fese wrote: EDIT: Actually I would be really interested in knowing how long you guys spent on your tracks for the competition. I finished mine in about four days (don't know exactly how many hours, maybe 20-24) which is twice the time I used for my OSC70 track and I am much happier with it sound-wise. Wonder if it would have been better if i had spent even more time on it? Or not? The old question...
8 hours 24 min all up (iirc). 4 hours writing initially. 1 hour x min the next day mixing, and the rest, the next day after, listening and making small tweaks, while watching youtube videos (for about 30 min). FL studio has a project timer... also, the bulk of the time was used on SD (working on Hive factory patches). Then, right at the end (30 Jan) I added the lead over the 3rd drop bit, cause it was bring AF!, which was another 30 min or so.
Last edited by GeorgeZ on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternitysound VST Banks

satYatunes wrote: Is it allowed to use FX plugins that was offered for free temporarily? For example, Eventide UltraChannel, NI Replika. These are not free now but they were in past. To be on safe side I didn't use any such plugin in this OSC but would like to know for future OSCs.
I don't think so, as anybody would have to be able to have access to that same plugin. :shrug:

Examigan wrote:
satYatunes wrote: Is it allowed to use FX plugins that was offered for free temporarily? For example, Eventide UltraChannel, NI Replika. These are not free now but they were in past. To be on safe side I didn't use any such plugin in this OSC but would like to know for future OSCs.
I don't think so, as anybody would have to be able to have access to that same plugin. :shrug:
Not allowed, but there is a slight gray area temporarily, as sometimes they slip in to songs because people didn't realize they were temporarily free, or by mistake, so it's best to swap out, and don't do it again if used.

Whoa, 69 entries, 1 more than famed OSC60!

ThePresent wrote:Whoa, 69 entries, 1 more than famed OSC60!
67**... because soundcloud can't count actually :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Last edited by bjporter on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Off topic!

Dear americans,

please can you set the time of the Super Bowls kickoff a few hours ealier next time?
Because it's in the middle of the night here in germany when it starts ... :D :D :D

Anyway, I hope my alarm clock can awake me tomorrow morning :pray:

rockingricky wrote:Off topic!

Dear americans,

please can you set the time of the Super Bowls kickoff a few hours ealier next time?
Because it's in the middle of the night here in germany when it starts ... :D :D :D

Anyway, I hope my alarm clock can awake me tomorrow morning :pray:
Just found out yesterday (not a sports peep here), Good luck! It's going to be an intense experience :hug:

this time it was an easy voting! :tu:
VOTED

A lot of really good songs! Congratulations! :clap:

Best wishes to all ….

marks-a-whybikky wrote: VOTED
Bloody impressive mate! :o :o

Time to vote everyone - click here for instructions!

Good Luck :party: :party: :party: :clap:

Note: If you didn NOT enter a track, you need 40+ posts in KVR.

Name Artist Fantomatica
Daw / fl studio host PC
Tracks My Cat Bass
Eq Sweettone parametric eq
Fx number 1
Synth Hive 5
https://soundcloud.com/fantomatica-1/fa ... ve-track-1
Thx!

quote="bjporter"]
fantomatica wrote:HIVE this my realy love trance style and ARP secthion. Iam create presets Hive secthion Fx this real effects popular ) please me full.
What DAW?
What FX?
How many instances of Hive?
Include the link to your song too.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules[/quote]
Last edited by fantomatica on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fantomatica wrote:...
:tu:

Awesome stuff!!!!

VOTET!!! :party:

Good Luck! :clap: :phones:

bjporter wrote:
ThePresent wrote:Whoa, 69 entries, 1 more than famed OSC60!
67**... because soundcloud can't count actually :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Whoa, 67 entries, only 1 less than famed OSC60! :hihi:

Well, that was hard. I voted. Most every track had something great in it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “Instruments”