FREE: Clipmax (updated) AU/VST2/VST3 32/64 clipper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's just a pretty basic clipper, nothing fancy or spectacular, but it's my first and I guess you gotta start somewhere. And hey, it's free. And low on CPU. And cross-platform. And multi-format. And 32/64 bits. And skinnable.

Most clippers I've come across so far have worked one of two ways: you either pushed the gain up until the input hit the ceiling, or you brought the ceiling down onto the signal and then raised the output to make up for the volume loss.
With this one, you can do both. Or just one.

It has Auto Gain Compensation that doesn't just "boost what was cut" to make everything as loud as hell, but it should rather keep the perceived volume fairly close to what the un-clipped signal originally had.

The clipping and Auto Gain happen before the Post Gain, so watch out how far you turn the Post Gain up, we don't want ugly surprises.

By the way: the Post Gain defaults to -0.01 dBfs because some hosts show clipping at 0.00 dBfs already, instead of when the first real overshoot happens at +0.01 dBfs. Defaulting to -0.01 dBfs keeps the track meters nice and not-red.

Values are editable in the text boxes, holding the Shift key will make the knobs fine-tune, double-clicks will reset them.

I'll probably be putting more work into this, just out of pure curiosity. I'm already working on a switchable soft clipping characteristic, a more refined Auto Gain, better skinning possibilities, etc.
If you have any bright ideas ... lemme know.

This is just my "entry project" into the world of plugins, so please don't expect too much. Everything I learn from this simple project will hopefully help me create some more sophisticated things, so any feedback regarding installation, handling and user experience is welcome.

----------------------- UPDATE v1.2.2 -----------------

As of v1.2.2, Clipmax now has two new clipping modes:

The SOF switch will activate Soff (soft) mode. Use Pre Gain to boost into saturation, pretty hard to make this clip. AGC will calculate against Pre Gain instead of Ceiling, so don't be afraid to boost ... but watch out before switching back to normal or Ruff mode. :)

I recommend to leave Ceiling at -0 db for Soff mode, or use it very sparingly. A bit mellower high end than default and Ruff mode, works great on guitars or vocals.

The RUF switch will put Clipmax into Ruff (rough) mode, this will add a "ceiling before the ceiling" (watch Ceiling knob). The more you lower the actual ceiling, the further down the "soft ceiling" will be extended. Signal that hits the soft ceiling will be re-scaled, similar to compression but on a per-sample basis, so this will sound slightly rough.

The soft ceiling re-scaling will bring down transients but won't sound as metallic as the standard hard clipping, makes a nice shape (pun intended) on bass and also some drums, methinks.

Changelog entry v1.2.2:

* Added Soff and Ruff clipping modes
* Added bipolar knob behaviour
* Added clipping LED inertia
* Improved Auto Gain calculation
* Reduced CPU consumption slightly
* FR: AGC no longer defaults to ON

----------------------- UPDATE v1.2.2 -----------------

Here goes: http://free.chokehold.net/clipmax/

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by chokehold on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

This looks really nice IMO. Maybe when you learn more- you can eventually make a transient designer? Curious why you don't seem to have a home page?

Yup, looks'n'sounds very decent for a first plug.

Thanks. Will give it a tryout. :tu:

Doesn't show in Cantabile :neutral: (edit - in one computer configuration, in the other is does)
Last edited by Tp3 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:Doesn't show in Cantabile :neutral:
Does, tried. :neutral:
Install this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40784 ;)
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:
Tp3 wrote:Doesn't show in Cantabile :neutral:
Does, tried. :neutral:
Install this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40784 ;)
Yep. does (on my audio computer) :dog:

BUT here on my internet computer - it doesn't. go figure :roll:

I Will pitch it up against my other clippers (Clipshifter\TSClip\Hybris\LimiterNo6 clipper module) and try to report

BTW

it would be nice if AGC would be off by default (or at least user selectable)
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Win 8.1 has some 32-bit issue, and the linked Runtime is supposed to help.
When I started the 32-bit Cantabile for the 1st time, it also didn't show the plugin.
Installed the Runtime and whoop dee doo, there was the plugin.

I don't think it's worth running Clipmax against anything.
Like I already mentioned, it's primitive and nothing special.

chokehold wrote:Win 8.1 has some 32-bit issue, and the linked Runtime is supposed to help.
When I started the 32-bit Cantabile for the 1st time, it also didn't show the plugin.
Installed the Runtime and whoop dee doo, there was the plugin.
I'm on win7 home 64

For some reason, my windows would not install (or so it seems) the runtimes (they don't appear on the uninstall list).

Anyways, it does run on my audio station.
chokehold wrote:I don't think it's worth running Clipmax against anything.
Like I already mentioned, it's primitive and nothing special.
I'm not a rocket scientist.

I listen : I drive... I distort... then I back. and I try to decide if I like or not.

What does it have to "have" in order to make it worthwhile ?
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Is it oversampled?

Hey, for your first "real" C++ plug-in, I'd say having a VST2/VST3/AU, 32/64-bit, low-CPU plug-in that actually works is quite an accomplishment! And thanks for making it free! :clap:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Cross platform is quite an achievement. GUIs can be much more difficult to do than the actual audio processing. Did you use any cross platform toolkits, or did it by scratch?
Is it only hard clipping?

Tp3 wrote:I'm on win7 home 64 (...) For some reason, my windows would not install (or so it seems) the runtimes (they don't appear on the uninstall list).
Probably a silly question, but do you have the SP1 installed already? It's in the Runtime's system requirements.
Tp3 wrote:What does it have to "have" in order to make it worthwhile ?
Good question. :) Probably a DSP part that's interesting enough to be compared.
mike the mental wrote:Is it oversampled?
Not yet, but sounds intriguing. Thanks a lot, there's my weekend gone. :)
camsr wrote:Did you use any cross platform toolkits, or did it by scratch? Is it only hard clipping?
Geez no, I used JUCE. For now, it's only hard clipping, but I'm already working on something "less harsh".
It'll remain to be seen if I actually make it, but if I do, it's going into Clipmax. ;)
planetearth wrote:And thanks for making it free
Well, it's JUCE, so i either pay 650€ or make it open source. Easy decision. So it's "free" for now, and once I figure out how to sensibly host the daily changing source code without impairing my experiments by something like Git, then that's part of this as well. Snot like anyone could learn anything from it...

chokehold wrote:
Tp3 wrote:I'm on win7 home 64 (...) For some reason, my windows would not install (or so it seems) the runtimes (they don't appear on the uninstall list).
Probably a silly question, but do you have the SP1 installed already? It's in the Runtime's system requirements.
Not a silly question and the answer is yes. BUT, I haven't updated my OS since (my computer is stripped from internet abilities)

I must add that on my audio computer VST2 shows in Cantabile but not in Cubase (? WTF ?) and VST3 does appear in Cubase (took me long and hard to find it). under these circumstances, at this point, me thinks its a programming thing... (most probably)

I have installed the supplied apps you linked to (to no avail - with the VST2 in Cubase 6 and 8 )
chokehold wrote:
Tp3 wrote:What does it have to "have" in order to make it worthwhile ?
Good question. :) Probably a DSP part that's interesting enough to be compared.
Well, that's the part where we differ. I don't give a $hit about DSP... I want to be able to drive it, to chop the transients as much as I can (without discernable difference) and let the plug "flag" to me when it starts collapsing (distorting) via MY EARS. if I like what I hear, then this is it. end of story :)

As of late, there were couple of "Glorious" companies with "Glorious" DSP that I simply could not relate to. and I tried.

So, IMO - EVERYTHING is comparable. just load two processors, CLOSE YOUR EYES, and blindly A\B them via the toggle button (after level matching, of course).

EDIT :
K, dunno what kind of DSP you have going on in there that you consider as "primitive", but me likes it.... like, ALOT

Now, if only the VST2 would have appeared in cubase and AGC could have been set to off by default - it would have been AWESOME. well, coming to think about it, it's awesome anyway (my requests are just trifles). and I THANK YOU for this little present :tu:
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Hey guys, there's been a rather significant update.
Here's the shorts, see first post for more info. :)

v1.2.2
* Added Soff and Ruff clipping modes
* Added bipolar knob behaviour
* Added clipping LED inertia
* Improved Auto Gain calculation
* Reduced CPU consumption slightly
* FR: AGC no longer defaults to ON

Have fun, and let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Rob

Return to “Effects”