Patchwork CPU optimization and Yosemite

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - great software idea in Patchwork. I noticed the following running under OS X 10.10.2 running PW v1.6.3 in standalone mode:

1. PW shows a few pops and glitches where my DAWs do not, under same buffer settings
2. When running PW, Mac will go to sleep if PW not actively engaged for duration of sleep period

Thanks!

Thank you for your message. Please find below our answers:
(1) This actually depends on the plug-ins loaded into PatchWork. In most cases the standalone app is actually lighter than other DAWs, but it may vary.
(2) It is possible to programmaticaly prevent the system from sleeping when the application is loaded, but this may actually be a problem for people who keep the software loaded in the background and still expect the system to go to sleep. So it is probably safer in this case for you to disable sleep for the system when you do not want it.

Thanks for responding.

I did notice that the latency and CPU strain is manageable for my main set of plugins at 128 samples (normally I use 64 for performing/composing), so I set it at 128 and have experienced only occasional glitches. Sleep mode issue is not a large one and sometimes I do prefer to have my computer sleep while playing so it could be a good thing.

Noticed on my mac that Activity Monitor's CPU Usage indicates that hyper-threading does not appear to be active using PW, whereas it is active using Cubase 8. Does PW support hyper-threading? Just curious, thanks.

You a right, all parallel chains are currently processed in a single thread, but we have plans to add multi threading support in the future to be able to load even more plug-ins in parallel. This may be the cause for the difference you are experiencing with your DAW.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”