New Controller keyboard: Nectar LX88

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:Thanks for starting this discussion guys!
We had a LOT of requests for an 88 note semi-weighted keyboard. In fact we got far more requests for semi-weighted than for hammer action.

The keybed is a custom design (as are all Nektar keybeds) and the controls are the same as the rest of the Impact LX series. The reason for the low price is because we aren't using that many controls and the display is very basic. Quality of the keybed and build have not been sacrificed.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. :)
Would be great if you'd do a slightly higher up model that has rotary encoders with LED rings, motorized faders, a proper display, and pitch/mod wheels in a non-retarded position (sorry! Just makes absolutely zero sense to have them there where your left hand has no proper support) ;)

I have no problems reaching for those pitch/mod wheels on my full-width Kurzweil PC3K8!

If not to the left of keys, it also makes sense to have them directly above the lowest keys, like on Korg X5D, for example:

The important thing here is that you can rest your hand properly on the left side of the keyboard, which improves support and actually helps making those bends more precise, too.

Just having a look again at this Nectar - seems it only has one pedal port?!? So I won't be able to use a sustain pedal and my expression pedal?!? Wtf..........am I missing something because surely basic features like sustain and expression should be expected?

Yeah... pedal ports are important.

My Kurzweil PC3K8 has FIVE (5) pedal ports (three for switch pedals, 2 for continuous pedals), plus breath controller port.

I'm not so sure that adding a few more pedal ports would drastically increase the price...

Yeah, I agree. Things like that should be basically taken for granted and staples of ANY controller. I'd imagine most who buy a larger controller are going to want, at least, an expression pedal alongside the sustain pedal at some stage!!

It's a no go for me now and I was very, very tempted on giving it a go. Disappointing.

Another point supporting my idea that these controllers aren't really made for people actually playing the instrument. I believe there would be a market for a more high end controller with a quality keybed, the necessary pedal ports, great build quality and plenty of knobs and sliders as well as a good DAW integration.
Like a NORD STAGE/Kurz PC3 series or something, but without the sounds.
I'd definitely be on the market for a thing like that.

Keep in mind that for 300€ you can buy a Kurzweil PC1X or PC2X on ebay with 88 full weighted keys, an excellent orchestra expansion, a great piano and many other features

No need to. I have a PC3X already 8) :tu:

If I could get a Kurzweil PC2X for a great price, pre-owned, in Ireland/UK I'd be all over it in a flash!!

Still really keen on hearing about this controller. Surely it should be in-stock soon? I keep hearing "February" but it's still all quiet and suppliers have a "not currently in stock - available for pre-order".........frustrating!! :D

Looking back at the picture I put in the first post, it actually looks like a drawing :hihi: - does it even exist in real life?
The Keylab88 still looks more interesting to me personally and a few videos are beginning to surface on various sites.
Didn't you buy a Casio?

The first batch was shipped to stores yesterday. I would expect that customers who pre-ordered will receive the first units next week.

I've got the LX25.
I like it much much better than my crappy Novation.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

AlesisVi61 wrote:The location of the pitch & mod wheels,is absurd...I'll have to pass on this one.
Exactly! Absolutely stupid to put the wheel in the position IMO. :roll:
EvilDragon wrote:
I have no problems reaching for those pitch/mod wheels on my full-width Kurzweil PC3K8!

I have the same 88-note Kurzweil, except in the LE version, and also have absolutely love the pitch wheel position.

It does seem a stupid place to put them. I'm hoping when I spend a bit of time with it, it may become intuitive and OK to use.........but on the face of it a bit daft.

No expresion port ?

I'm out.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”