MDynamic EQ gets a thumbs up in passing by Mike Senior at Sound on Sound!

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec14/a ... 214-02.htm

Vocal harmonics overpowering the fundamental - exactly the reason I bought MAutoDynamicEQ.

Works nicely!

I've had awesome success in setting a band with harmonics, then controlling it with the pitch detection modulator. It's like an instant instrument-surfing EQ.

I'm away from my rig now, but it just occurred to me that this might be a great application for the problem detailed in that article... But you would have to leave the fundamental alone (no boost and no cut) and cut the harmonics only. Is this even possible with the harmonics settings in the band panel?
Desktop: Win 7 Pro SP1 | i7 960 (4 cores 3.2 GHz) | 16 GB RAM | GTX470 | SSD boot plus 3x HDDs
Laptop: Win 8.1 | i7 4710HQ (4 cores 2.5 GHz)| 16 GB RAM | GTX850m | SSD boot plus one HDD

:love: !!
mesaone wrote:I'm away from my rig now, but it just occurred to me that this might be a great application for the problem detailed in that article... But you would have to leave the fundamental alone (no boost and no cut) and cut the harmonics only. Is this even possible with the harmonics settings in the band panel?
I'm lost here - what do you mean exactly?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote::love: !!
mesaone wrote:I'm away from my rig now, but it just occurred to me that this might be a great application for the problem detailed in that article... But you would have to leave the fundamental alone (no boost and no cut) and cut the harmonics only. Is this even possible with the harmonics settings in the band panel?
I'm lost here - what do you mean exactly?
Well, Imagine a vocal where you want to keep the fundamental intact, but tame the harmonics. You don't want a static EQ, since that would only be good for a single pitch. I wasn't able to do this without boosting the fundamental, but that's fine - So you do this:
  1. Set the band to track pitch with a modulator.
  2. Boost the band a bit.
  3. Set the harmonic depth of that band to a negative value, so that each harmonic alternates between boosting and cutting
  4. Enable alternating harmonics of that band, so you only have cuts.
Now the band will track the incoming pitch and boost the fundamental, while cutting the harmonics only! Example image here: http://i.imgur.com/W3yVzcT.png

Turns out I can compensate for the boost with an equal-but-opposite cut with no harmonics. This isn't quite the same as leaving the fundamental intact, but should be fine as long as the phase shift doesn't adversely affect the vocal sound. That way, the vocal is left mostly intact while only cutting the harmonics. Of course, if you were to do it this way, you would use a cut band and enable harmonics at a positive value, then put in an equal boost with no harmonics. http://i.imgur.com/LBJDhlC.png

See what I mean, Vojtech? Your software is so good that it has started to change my approach to common audio problems... In fact, this might even be a useful preset to include in MAutoDynamicEQ and other Melda equalizers that have modulators. I can see this coming in handy for a lot of stuff.
Desktop: Win 7 Pro SP1 | i7 960 (4 cores 3.2 GHz) | 16 GB RAM | GTX470 | SSD boot plus 3x HDDs
Laptop: Win 8.1 | i7 4710HQ (4 cores 2.5 GHz)| 16 GB RAM | GTX850m | SSD boot plus one HDD

Aaaaha, I actually think there's some preset for it in MAutoDynamicEq. Now, there are several solutions and also a question - why? :D

About "why" - you basically cut all harmonics, but there's not much above the fundamental except for some noises, throat stuff etc. So you could just use a high shelf to alter everything above the fundamental.

And if you really want what you want - the modulator lets you shift the pitch, so you can just move it an octave above the actual fundamental ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Wow this sounds interesting!

I once had to mix vocals that had very unpleasant overtones. But I don't know if those were harmonics from the natural harmonic series, or some inharmonic overtones. Anyway, since Vojtech says the pitch follower allows for an offset, you could put any shift in there to fit what you need I guess.

I do this all the time:
- No cut, no boost to fundamental.
- Cut the harsh harmonics that I hear, and that are so nicely shown on the color display.

Is that what you are wondering about?

I understand, but my question was more like - why trying to target individual harmonics, when it would probably easier to control all of then. Accuracy I guess. Anyway the pitch shift in the modulator should let you do that pretty easily ;).
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:About "why" - you basically cut all harmonics, but there's not much above the fundamental except for some noises, throat stuff etc. So you could just use a high shelf to alter everything above the fundamental.
Not cut out completely, just attenuated. I can imagine situations where high shelf wouldn't be as good, in particular one recording I'm working on where the entire band is in one room - high shelf would cut the bleed in an unnatural fashion. The situation requires a reduction in harmonics only in one passage, so automating a shelf filter will be more noticeable than specific narrow cuts.
MeldaProduction wrote:And if you really want what you want - the modulator lets you shift the pitch, so you can just move it an octave above the actual fundamental ;).
I guess I learned something today, I didn't realize this.
Last edited by mesaone on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very well, got it ;)
Vojtech

Newbie here. Is this discussion related to what this plugin does?

http://www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq

Yes, it probably is, but buying an overpriced plugin, that does the same job as one modulator in MAutoDynamicEq sounds pretty wrong :D.
Vojtech

This looks really cool. I'd like to be able to do this. I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the modulator window. Where is that in the plugin?
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

SuperFly76 wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the modulator window. Where is that in the plugin?

Or just double click on the title "Multiparameters & modulators" ;).
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”