Audio glitch in VB3 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've got the VB3 Tonewheel organ VST set up via Cantabile and I like it a lot. I'm a pianist more than an organist and I generally use the sustain pedal quite a lot. I've noticed every now and then with this VST that I get a small audio glitch in the sound. It's usually after releasing the sustain and quickly pressing other keys. It's a bit hard to describe or pin down because it doesn't seem to be reliably repeatable however it's spoiling what is otherwise a very good sound. It's a very short glitch.

I'm thinking that it might be CPU loading but there's nothing noticeable on the percentage I see. Has anyone had experience of anything similar or any tips/tools to track it down/eliminate? There doesn't seem to be a way of reducing the polyphony which I thought might help.

Thanks
Jeremy

Did you look at with a midi list editor - what exactly is produced by keyboard?

Thinking, AllNotesOff-messages that some early Roland synths sent each time last key was release. I had issues with that some years ago - getting pops/crackls from effects shutting down everytime all keys were up.

Aftertouch - any such?

Any split used on keyboard?
Usually organs have upper manual on midi ch 1, lower on 2, and pedal on 3.

And it's not uncommon that vendors have issue handling sustain pedal CC#64 correctly - Arturia for one. Long reported issues in the Prophet 5 emulation had wrong handling there - still there a year ago or so.

Only during live playback?
That is quite different in hosts - some hosts filter a lot of events some don't - and some filter nothing while monitoring live - but during playback.

Just a bunch of ideas - nothing specific for VB3, that I don't use.

Another possibility is that when you release a bunch of sustained notes all at the same time, the sum of all the simultaneous "key contact clicks" sounds that way.

I've had bad luck with this plugin over all. It sometimes gives me severely glitchy output out of nowhere and is one of the few plugins I own that will crash my host. These problems seem more severe than what you're describing so it's probably unrelated to your issue.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Thank you for the comments here. The 'sum of the key contact clicks' is an interesting one I hadn't thought of. I'm away from my keyboard but will try to investigate a bit more deeply. The keyboard I'm using here is a Yamaha CP33 (which I know is quite old now) and not using splits or aftertouch.

It's a great plugin but I must admit it did crash on me too a few days ago.

I'll report back if I discover anything.

Thanks again.
Jeremy

Return to “Instruments”