VA Vs A

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
jopy wrote: I would also note that these bands that use software live are wealthy enough to have computer techs on tour with them, so some of the reliability issues some of us fear aren't there. I know that some are also not using soft synths per se, but rather are triggering samples from analog hardware.
They are using a computer to trigger samples from analog hardware? :help: :lol:
Yes, people record notes from analog synths and then map them to a keyboard, as in Kontakt or on a Motif. I must have phrased that poorly, because the concept is common enough.
yeah cause using computers is rocket science.
Yeah, for real, because musicians do have computers crash on them all the time, especially when playing through a DAW (as is necessary for either ACE or Zebra, which I really like as instruments). It's happened to me in practice sessions more than once, while the drummer and bassist roll their eyes and then jam while I fiddle around with rebooting my computer.

Kriminal wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Lot of valid information
Well, I provided a lot of valid examples of a real JP8 VS a soft synth, wich seems to be the subject of this thread. More examples than you'll ever produce in your life, because you would not be able to match the original JP8 presets -I'd say even if you had another Jupiter 8-, nor even to replay the parts of the guy who played the original jp8. Facts.

On the opposite, your contribution to this thread was ... below absolute zero ( as usual when you're quoting me ). Fact again :shrug:

I'm however delighted to see that you definitely cant live without me :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

jopy wrote:
fmr wrote:
jopy wrote: I would also note that these bands that use software live are wealthy enough to have computer techs on tour with them, so some of the reliability issues some of us fear aren't there. I know that some are also not using soft synths per se, but rather are triggering samples from analog hardware.
They are using a computer to trigger samples from analog hardware? :help: :lol:
Yes, people record notes from analog synths and then map them to a keyboard, as in Kontakt or on a Motif. I must have phrased that poorly, because the concept is common enough.
yeah cause using computers is rocket science.
Yeah, for real, because musicians do have computers crash on them all the time, especially when playing through a DAW (as is necessary for either ACE or Zebra, which I really like as instruments). It's happened to me in practice sessions more than once, while the drummer and bassist roll their eyes and then jam while I fiddle around with rebooting my computer.
Sampling analog synths will make you loose a certain % of the spirit of analog synths however like free running osillators and a myriad of other details that make the subtleness of the *real analog sound*.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

fluffy_little_something wrote:The Jupiter 8 had strange presets, it seems. The brass pads and basses are my favorites, but just like with most software synths most factory presets sucked.
Depends on what you're after. Its the sound of an era, and part of the synthesizer culture. Its good that these examples are here to remind some people who have never played one of these synths what analog synthesizers were about when they were released.( just judging by the number of threads were the words *analog* and *synths* appear here in Kvr, or other forums )

jopy wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:I was actually surfing Youtube to see what artists were using onstage and found them a day after the OP. It just so happens that many of them use digital gear. I only learned after posting this thread that ,most of the time, digital is indistinguishable from analogue. Previously my opinion was that analog sounded better. I actually own a few analogue synths.
But do you find that the analog process is different than the digital process? I know that I'm starting to conflate the hardware-software difference with the analog-digital difference, which is possibly the root of the problem I'm having, but I know that turning a knob on my analogs is going to be a lot more immediately satisfying than trying to work that same thing out on software, and still sounds better when it comes to zipper artifacts than most lower priced hardware VA units. Once you get a really high quality emulation, you're in Nord or Access Virus land, and that's not cheaper than analog comparisons like the recent Prophets or the Moog Sub 37.

I would also note that these bands that use software live are wealthy enough to have computer techs on tour with them, so some of the reliability issues some of us fear aren't there. I know that some are also not using soft synths per se, but rather are triggering samples from analog hardware.
I find working with hardware generally more satisfying than software ,especially if the hardware device has a knob per-function like the Roland System 1. I have yet to find a software controller which I can use without still looking at the laptop. I also find software latency slightly off-putting.

However, the hardware vs software debate brings up many issues which may be more suitable for another thread.

You mentioned the high priced VAs such as Nord and Access. I'm not sure, but I would think you would get more features for your money (such as polyphony/multitimbrality) than similarly priced analogues.

Lotuzia wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:SPAM
Well, I provided a lot of valid examples of a real JP8 VS a soft synth, wich seems to be the subject of this thread.
funny how you didnt use an actual JP8 emulation (of which there are several), which is the subject of the thread. Instead you spammed it again with a synth from some company you work/spam for. FACT.

Kriminal wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:SPAM
Well, I provided a lot of valid examples of a real JP8 VS a soft synth, wich seems to be the subject of this thread.
funny how you didnt use an actual JP8 emulation (of which there are several), which is the subject of the thread. Instead you spammed it again with a synth from some company you work/spam for. FACT.
You dont have to tell me wich synth I must use to match another synth. Even more because you're not able to provide such a/b comparisons, and that your contribution to this thread is below absolute zero.

Then, for the record : I'm not, and I've never been, a Xils-lab employee. I represented this company pro bono on my free time on some forums, trying to help users, and provide usefull informations.Judging by my PMs, a lot of people here at KVR have understood this for a long time now. Except you, of course.

A lot of people here defend the synths they like. How funny it is you only spam almost each thread when xils is mentioned ? Your personal antixils crusade looks pityfull.Therapy advice of the day : You can live without Xils. Just try, you'll see. :shrug:

Lotuzia wrote: I represented this company pro bono

Spamming for free, nice
Lotuzia wrote:advice of the day : You can live without Xils

i have done so far thanks. :tu:

So, Bono works for XILS?! :roll:

Kriminal wrote:
Lotuzia wrote: I represented this company pro bono

Spamming for free, nice
Lotuzia wrote:advice of the day : You can live without Xils

i have done so far thanks. :tu:
Both of you should rent a room. :hihi: :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

pretty obvious from the modern T.Dolby audio that the raw edge
of analogue isn't there. 'presence', whatever you call it, it's like
eating something that comes out of a tin compared to home cooking.
that doesn't have anything to do with VA though, it is about the
polite processed presets you get on workstations.

VA is ok, very convenient with lots of advantages over most old
analogue gear. just don't look at it as being 'the same'.

mztk wrote: VA is ok, very convenient with lots of advantages over most old
Again, "the same" to what?

There were lots of analogue synths, and many I would not want them even for free. Analogue is a very vague and overrated word. I still have some analogues, and I would not mind to have some others, but there are not many I would want.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:

There were lots of analogue synths, and many I would not want them even for free. Analogue is a very vague and overrated word. I still have some analogues, and I would not mind to have some others, but there are not many I would want.
It is a comparison of two technologies... that there are poorly implemented versions of each does not change that.

fmr wrote:

I agree, there are like 3 analog synths I would not mind having, the rest is just mediocre stuff that would only collect dust :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
fmr wrote:

I agree, there are like 3 analog synths I would not mind having, the rest is just mediocre stuff that would only collect dust :)
Additionally, and this comes up a lot and people try to argue both sides, many analogues are less analog than the classics and this difference matters, but, there's a catch. It's not intrinsically that the circuits are analog, rather, it is that some analog solutions give the qualities that people desire. I know that sounds like it's circular, but it isn't, it's why I don't give two shits about an "all analog signal path" if the technology isn't the good technology. There many solutions to every component of an analog synth and each solution has advantages and disadvantages.

There have been a lot of compromises in synth tonal quality in the interest of mass production. This has lead to a large number of less than stellar synths, or frankly, good synths that have one or two analog limitations that hamper their sound, the Juno 106 certainly comes to mind here. There's a reason that it still doesn't cost as much as a Juno 60 and it's not just because of the voice problem. There's also a reason that this didn't use to be true, but times change, and what is desirable or necessary in terms of technology, changes with it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”