Keyswitching only parts of an instrument in Kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to figure out how to keyswitch articulations on snares with keyswitches on keys C0-E0, toms F0-G0 and cymbals Ab-Bb. Keyswitching the snares shouldn't mess up the current setting for the toms or the cymbals, etc...
Any ideas?

Create separate groups for articulations, then route incoming notes depending on instrument, using 'disallow_group($ALL_GROUPS)', 'allow_group(x)'.

Thanks.

I do it with Group Start Options, very simple once you've defined groups:

[Those are both called "Group 1" from pasting them in and not bothering with it. (C0 key switches to a fast attack, D#0 to a slow attack.)]

Thanks. I think I'm trying to go a step farther in selecting certain groups to be switched without effecting other groups.

So you figured it out? Feel free to PM me, if you need example script.

I think what you're actually wanting to do is remap something, isn't it?
I don't know of any drumkit library that utilizes keyswitching, but EG: C keys 'kick drum'; as to snare C# keys 'sidestick', D keys 'snare hit', D# keys 'drag', E keys 'rimshot' etc. The only thing needed is a note-on and the mapped note is actuated. Key switching is an extra step. For instance a percussion library will tend to load all of the articulations of a 'patch' and KS is needed to get to a whole 'nother patch. Drums are one patch in all my experience. But groups could be accessed for those who actually assign a new midi channel for each kit piece. Which is more electronic music producing than what a drummer wants out of a library.
OTOH there can be something such as 'Latin percussion' where each part of the ensemble is a separate patch and a multi has 10 things on 10 channels. I would do 1 channel and 1 patch unless I only needed limited and discrete items.

I just mindlessly went to how I set up keyswitches for things which do not have them, sorry about that. But I don't think you want keyswitching, which is a key outside of the sounding range of the samples which forces an articulation by switching. IE: the condition is defined as eg., 'when C0 and only C0 has been met'. Latched, that condition remains; Non-latched reverts to before the switch, every switch is news. But that doesn't key any sound, it's just a condition for accessing the sound, in this case via a group.

SO, you're looking for a library to study. Google Big Mono drumkit, which is free and fairly good.

For instance the work with groups for a typical commercial drum kit library deals with round robin placement and suchlike.

Hi, you can change the octave for the keyswitches keys.
+ de 500 Tutoriels MAO :

http://www.tuto-mao-guitare.com

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”