Serious question. Moog Voyager or Moog Sub 37?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They're different sounds too. Many say the 37 is too modern sounding. I've never owned or played with a Voyager to any extent, so can't speak to the differences.

Great input, I appreciate it. I prefer the more aggressive tones of the 37,
I'm leaning towards ... oh I dunno, holding off until the Sub37 is released with c/v.
But there's a Voyager Select with Jade backlighting, 44 keys, velocity and aftertouch...
decisions, decisions...humph
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

If I were going to go the Voyager route... I would want the Voyager XL. I want the pacthbay!

I have a Voyager myself (well two actually because I also got the RME) and I can vouch for it, if not for anything else then at least for it's keybed. Voyager is a high quality instrument that has been built to the highest standards and you can really feel this when you play it (and see it if you ever happen to look inside it). From all the synths I have ever played, Voyager has the best keybed which makes it an amazing master keyboard. Finding another XL for a good price might not happen anytime soon while Sub37's can probably be found more easily. I would get the XL instead of the Sub37. I have played with Sub37 only once and I can't comment how well it has been built. I know a guy who returned his Sub37 because of the bad build quality.

I wouldn't mind owning the Sub37 myself because of the sequencer, multidrive and 6dB-filter. It sure is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument.

I can't justify the XL. It's a hobby, not a source of income. I'm dithering between the sub 37 or the voyager RME there's one close by for 2K australian. Sub 37 is a touch under 2.5K here.
I have a little Phatty stage 2, the cp 251, cluster flux and freqBox, bass station 2 and the ms-20 module.
Maybe I should get stupid and pick up the arp odyssey reissue now and wait until Moog releases a sub 37 stage two.
ps..I had the delay but sold it. I prefer the strymon Timeline.
pps. I Just blew 2.3K on an anniversary gift for the mrs..thereby killing the XL option.

werp wrote:I can't justify the XL. It's a hobby, not a source of income. I'm dithering between the sub 37 or the voyager RME there's one close by for 2K australian. Sub 37 is a touch under 2.5K here.
I have a little Phatty stage 2, the cp 251, cluster flux and freqBox, bass station 2 and the ms-20 module.
Sub 37 has less features but it sounds better than Voyager RME (and Little Phatty Stage II, which I had used for years). The oscillators have a nicer, "sharper" sound and the filter has better high frequency extension. Mainly the two LFOs instead of one are what makes it much more flexible than Sub Phatty.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

werp wrote:I can't justify the XL. It's a hobby, not a source of income. I'm dithering between the sub 37 or the voyager RME there's one close by for 2K australian. Sub 37 is a touch under 2.5K here.
Maybe I should get stupid and pick up the arp odyssey reissue now and wait until Moog releases a sub 37 stage two.
ps..I had the delay but sold it. I prefer the strymon Timeline.
pps. I Just blew 2.3K on an anniversary gift for the mrs..thereby killing the XL option.
I think you should make the effort to try them both out in person before deciding. Actually trying both may make it very clear which you prefer.

The RME sounds terrible when controlled with midi. Pitch bends sound like an old virtual analog. If you control PB with voltage, it's OK.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Bought the sub 37.
The voyager will have to wait :-)
Thanks everyone :tu:

Congrats, I think you will be very happy with the 37! It is a fantastic instrument. ;D

Another fine addition to add to your already impressive monosynth collection.

The new firmware should arrive soon but if you can't wait for the new features send Amos an email and he will sort you out with a beta.

Congrats on the 37. It's a helluva synth, and will be even more with this latest firmware.

Just quick question. Can you use the Moog Sub 37 also as a midi controller for VSTi's and is there an octave up/down button?
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Yes to both! All knobs transmit midi CC and there are octave up/down .

treebeard wrote:Yes to both! All knobs transmit midi CC and there are octave up/down .
Great thanks!!
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

How well do the knobs transmit midi?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”