Zebra2 VS. DUNE2 (Blind Test)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
spaceman wrote:They both sound equally uninteresting in this example.
At least 1 is a cleaner patch. 2 was drenched in reverb or God knows what else and it just sounds horrible. It's a muddy mess.
Thats down to whoever made those examples. Anyone can make any synth sound bad...

Kriminal wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
spaceman wrote:They both sound equally uninteresting in this example.
At least 1 is a cleaner patch. 2 was drenched in reverb or God knows what else and it just sounds horrible. It's a muddy mess.
Thats down to whoever made those examples. Anyone can make any synth sound bad...
You're telling me? I love Zebra 2. It's one of my favorite synths. If I had heard that example and somebody told me it was Zebra, I would have never bought it.

If somebody is going to do a sound test, at least make it a fair one and have some clue how to create patches.

Out of interest, what was the point of the test? A pissing contest?

Both are great synths. Both are great companies.

wagtunes wrote:If I had heard that example and somebody told me it was Zebra, I would have never bought it.
Without even demoing it?

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:If I had heard that example and somebody told me it was Zebra, I would have never bought it.
Without even demoing it?
When something sounds that bad, I don't waste my time demoing it.

But maybe it sounds better when you make your own patches. :) I mean, considering most synths and plugins nowadays are marketed with EDM presets, and tunes, people who are into ambient music would have a hard time finding any suitable plugins, if they'd just go after what demos sound like. As Kriminal said, you can make any synth sound as bad or as good as you like. The differences are rather subtle.

chk071 wrote:But maybe it sounds better when you make your own patches. :) I mean, considering most synths and plugins nowadays are marketed with EDM presets, and tunes, people who are into ambient music would have a hard time finding any suitable plugins, if they'd just go after what demos sound like. As Kriminal said, you can make any synth sound as bad or as good as you like. The differences are rather subtle.
When you have over 100 synths (yes, over 100) you start getting picky about the things you even bother with. If the site's demo (assuming they have one) doesn't blow me away, or at least sound decent, I don't bother downloading it. I have more than enough synths to keep me busy. For me to buy something nowadays, it has to be pretty special.

If you have over 100 synths, you're clearly not picky...

wagtunes wrote: When something sounds that bad, I don't waste my time demoing it.
They were both simple sounds, and neither one sounded like it had any less effects, nor did they even sound that different. Both are sounds that a 100 synths can do.
You make judgements about a synth from one short clip, of one patch, is a bit odd.
I almost doubt that there's any truth to that.

Kriminal wrote:If you have over 100 synths, you're clearly not picky...
Yeah, maybe 10 is a bit picky, but over 100? :?

I think I am even pickier than that. I only use DUNE 2 for everything I need. I also have Harmor and Serum, but honestly I always end up using it. So capable and flexible, yet so easy and good sounding. And of course, it can sound infinitely better than the example posted in this thread.

I don't like this thread! :P

At the beginning of my synth journey I was not very picky because I was exploring what was out there. In fact, I probably deleted as many free VSTs as I've kept. A lot of the early Synthmaker VSTs either sounded like crap or didn't work right, or both.

Today, yes, I am much pickier. If I buy one VST a month, that's a lot. And right now, there are only 2 VSTs that I can maybe see myself getting in the future.

Diva
Symtohm

There are a number of "popular" synths that I have no interest in such as...

Dune 2
Sylenth1
Predator
Nexus 2
Audulus
Torsion 2
Oxium
CrX4
Saurus
Curve 2
Oddity
Blade
Cyclop
Spectral
Diversion
Aalto
Minimonsta
Nemesis
Twin 2
Ultra Analog VA 2
PPG Wave Generator
Iris
Synth Squad
Lush 101
Razor
Z3TA + 2
Spire

Just to name a few. So yes, I am VERY picky today when it comes to what synths I get.

Examigan wrote:
Kriminal wrote:If you have over 100 synths, you're clearly not picky...
Yeah, maybe 10 is a bit picky, but over 100? :?

Shhh shhh, quiet, don't make him list his synths again. :ud:

wagtunes wrote: Nexus 2
SYNTH!

i have no idea, which need to visit Zebra more in depth soon.

Return to “Instruments”