I've ordered an Elektron Analog Four

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy.. how is it going with the elektron? :) Did you fall in love with the sequencer? I absolutely love it!

Im sooo close of buying now ... :-o
:hug:

Sendy..?!?!

Anyway, i also ordered an Analog Four now and i've had it for about a week. I ... LOVE .. it!!! It along with a Machinedrum is heaven for me :D

I finally have a spiderweb of cables again. Analog four going in to the machinedrum, machinedrum going in to the analog four, machinedrum going to a compressor, mixer and then soundcard. Machinedrum also going in to the sidechain of the compressor. Im very surprised about the lack of noise. Since i haven't messed with sorting the cables out yet, they're mixed with electrical ones going left and right. There should be noise .. i think?! Maybe stuff are just better these days or im more moderate with gain settings.

The sequencers on the elektron stuff are made for experimentation and creativity outlet. Maybe it's responsible for how easy it is to mix this stuff. If you have some bassy sound competing with the kick you can just edit that step where the problem is and adjust eq or a highpass filter on it. If something is too loud on a step, try adding ringmod (on machinedrum) or maybe just a tiny bit on overdrive (analog four) on that particular step. After a while each step can turn in to it's own sound.
Just hold the step down and tweak a knob and listen. Listen, listen and listen. It's not like on the computer screen where you watch, listen and watch.
The tiny screen hasn't been a problem. I hated the waldorf microQ because of the few knobs and matrix. Maybe i've "matured" somehow and become more tolerant to it or maybe the elektron stuff are just better layed out.

The sample section on the machinedrum is nothing i use "live". I've added the samples from 909 and 727 basically. I hope i can stop my gas and not end up with an octratrack because i don't think i can afford it (or at least i won't have any financial backup after a purchase :-o).

I advice ANYONE who either have used hardware in the past or who grew up with software to buy a second hand elektron unit. The monomachines are very cheap. They don't sound "great". They are what they are. See them as very cool FM units with splendid sequencer. Good enough for trying the hardware sequencer route at least!! They have a six part sequencing for external stuff also, so you can control vst's with them .. though i think the idea should be to get AWAY from computer and mouse.. :)

Yesterday i bought Harrison Mixbus as i wanted something with PDC and focused on recording. Does this program somehow sound great?! Maybe it was my pro skills (lolz) adding just a little eq and compression doing it but i highly doubt it. It could be that the advertising was correct for once :D
Recording parts one by one wasn't that inspiring though. My soundcard only has 2 in, 2 out. Mixbus (on win) has no midi time control so you can't sync recording either. It was pretty easy aligning the tracks though.

I feel sorry for anyone not getting Mixbus. Having two programs or "environments" for producing tracks and mixing them is a great idea. If possible, im one of those who starts mastering at first note :oops: Restrictions rule!

Please, if you have an Analog four (or any other elektron gear), let me know how you like it :)

Post music then.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

faun2500 wrote:Post music then.
+1

Talk is cheap ;)
... space is the place ...

Crackbaby wrote:Sendy..?!?!

Anyway, i also ordered an Analog Four now and i've had it for about a week. I ... LOVE .. it!!! It along with a Machinedrum is heaven for me :D

I finally have a spiderweb of cables again. Analog four going in to the machinedrum, machinedrum going in to the analog four, machinedrum going to a compressor, mixer and then soundcard. Machinedrum also going in to the sidechain of the compressor. Im very surprised about the lack of noise. Since i haven't messed with sorting the cables out yet, they're mixed with electrical ones going left and right. There should be noise .. i think?! Maybe stuff are just better these days or im more moderate with gain settings.

The sequencers on the elektron stuff are made for experimentation and creativity outlet. Maybe it's responsible for how easy it is to mix this stuff. If you have some bassy sound competing with the kick you can just edit that step where the problem is and adjust eq or a highpass filter on it. If something is too loud on a step, try adding ringmod (on machinedrum) or maybe just a tiny bit on overdrive (analog four) on that particular step. After a while each step can turn in to it's own sound.
Just hold the step down and tweak a knob and listen. Listen, listen and listen. It's not like on the computer screen where you watch, listen and watch.
The tiny screen hasn't been a problem. I hated the waldorf microQ because of the few knobs and matrix. Maybe i've "matured" somehow and become more tolerant to it or maybe the elektron stuff are just better layed out.

The sample section on the machinedrum is nothing i use "live". I've added the samples from 909 and 727 basically. I hope i can stop my gas and not end up with an octratrack because i don't think i can afford it (or at least i won't have any financial backup after a purchase :-o).

I advice ANYONE who either have used hardware in the past or who grew up with software to buy a second hand elektron unit. The monomachines are very cheap. They don't sound "great". They are what they are. See them as very cool FM units with splendid sequencer. Good enough for trying the hardware sequencer route at least!! They have a six part sequencing for external stuff also, so you can control vst's with them .. though i think the idea should be to get AWAY from computer and mouse.. :)

Yesterday i bought Harrison Mixbus as i wanted something with PDC and focused on recording. Does this program somehow sound great?! Maybe it was my pro skills (lolz) adding just a little eq and compression doing it but i highly doubt it. It could be that the advertising was correct for once :D
Recording parts one by one wasn't that inspiring though. My soundcard only has 2 in, 2 out. Mixbus (on win) has no midi time control so you can't sync recording either. It was pretty easy aligning the tracks though.

I feel sorry for anyone not getting Mixbus. Having two programs or "environments" for producing tracks and mixing them is a great idea. If possible, im one of those who starts mastering at first note :oops: Restrictions rule!

Please, if you have an Analog four (or any other elektron gear), let me know how you like it :)

Just to torment you -

http://soundcloud.com/venndiagram/wip-g ... 2-fleshing

I own all for Elektron units - am working on a new hardware based project - this is the first track thus far started it earlier this week.
Octatrack and Machinedrum for drums, (Monomachine and Octactrack for Sequencing) - the Monomachine sequences the SubPhatty, MS20 Mini and Nord Modular whilst the Octatrack is sequencing the Novation Nova.
Analog four does one Synth part and is processing the Moog Sub Phatty also.
It's not there yet as a track but I am really loving the vibe - the Octatrack is great for multi step length / multi metered musical workouts and can do some pretty intricate stuff with micro-timing and the like, not to mention all the other fancy tricks via scenes and parts.
This track above is shaping up nicely but you didn't really need an incentive to buy more Elektron kit did you ?
Amazing just what you can sequence using these tools though - i mean who needs Reaktor when you have an Octatrack :D.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

Cool track! Can the monomachine/octatrack modulate per step with midi? or is it live tweaking?

So you got all four machines huh .... :x

Crackbaby wrote:Cool track! Can the monomachine/octatrack modulate per step with midi? or is it live tweaking?

So you got all four machines huh .... :x
Yes can parameter lock Midi CC's and controller Midi CC's with the units internal LFO's also.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

Alright ... got the octatrack now also :D What a beast! That fader is my new lover! Figuring out recording wasn't too easy at first. I had to go and sleep for a while to reset my brain. But now i got it! Turns out that when i extended the track to 64 i had a trigger which got copied to first step on each bar. And that track i had also copied to the remaining seven tracks ... so whenever i recorded it would restart all the time :lol:

Now i know how to save samples also. :party:

I got the Elektron bug 6 or 7 weeks ago. I bought a MK1 MnM. Soon after I had a (non UW) MD, and last week I got an A4. Thinking OT too now :)

Just need to find some time to play with them. I like the Elektron way though, it seemed to click quite quickly.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Well, unless you're broke, go for it :) It's a bit harder to learn though as it can do SO much :-o So far i've just recorded loops from my MD and A4. It's VERY intuitive once you learn how to! I've also used the fader to link parameters so you get cool breaks (ie throw in highpass, echo, one howling noise goes up an octave etc). Funny thing is that you can create 16 of them for each project! (15 if you want one that's "clean").

I'm not broke but money is a big factor :)

I think if one comes up at the right price it might make up my mind for me.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Gonna necro this here thread because I'm juuuuust about ready to pull the trigger on one. Now that I know it does full (well full four-voice) polyphony I'm pretty stoked.

I have an MS-20 and a Microbrute that I use together so with the CV going around I can combine them all in a single quasi-modular behemoth. I can call it the Brute-420.

Sendy, assuming you kept yours, how well has it lasted for you? Still good with the sound? Have they addressed your gripes with the knobs?

Also this is a silly question, but can anyone point me to some actual 1/4" insert cables on Amazon, the kind I'll need for the CV jacks. I'm having a hell of a time distinguishing which are actually stereo-to-mono, and I've bought the wrong thing off there before when I was looking for splitters between the Brute and the 20. Wound up going with a few Belkin Rockstars instead which do the trick for those but won't cut it for the A4.

Edit: BTW I haven't seen this in any Youtube demos but can the sequencer do dotted/triplets? Set the swing to 67% I guess?

dumbledog wrote:
Also this is a silly question, but can anyone point me to some actual 1/4" insert cables on Amazon, the kind I'll need for the CV jacks. I'm having a hell of a time distinguishing which are actually stereo-to-mono, and I've bought the wrong thing off there before when I was looking for splitters between the Brute and the 20. Wound up going with a few Belkin Rockstars instead which do the trick for those but won't cut it for the A4.
http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view ... ge:1#53887

http://www.thomann.de/es/cordial_cfy_3_vpp.htm

I'm 14 days away from getting mine :twisted:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hey Mushy good to see you dropping in :)

Im an Overbridge release away from keeping or selling mine!!! When I bought it it was the AK and xoxbox or a full on Moog. Think I regret not getting the Moog but that's my personal decision.

I do like the AK [analog keys] just finding the screen too small for my old eyes...I've got a JD800, Virus TI,x0xb0x and all the controls are in your face...the AK is great sounding but fiddly on the workflow. Also I not realised how used I got to visuals from using great GUI plugins with midi mapping. I think and hope Overbridge is going to open the workflow for me. I envisage once this is in place I will work backwards to working on the internal sequencer on the AK.

I started out many years ago on a Korg M1 using built in sounds and sequncer along with sequnecer one in the atari, the screen on the AK takes me back to the old days of limited visuals in kit.

Not saying the AK's rubbish. Just make sure you demo one or have the full refund option when buying.

However...overbridge could well be it's saviour and certainly increase user and fan base, on it's release :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”