All synthesizer vsts utilize a single core right?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering.

Ok, thus far diva and lush 101 support multiple cores.

I was under the impression that more or less any synth plugin which comes out these days utilizes multiple cores.

It is possible for the vst to ask the host (and therefore the computer) about its cpu. Because of this, some vsts could use multiple cores without making it so obvious (i.e. a button).

Having said that, I do not know which vsts do and which do not. It seems that synth manuals are the best place to find out which ones do.

Your sequencer manage the multi core not the vst (only in standalone mode). Also one vst loaded can't run simultaneously on several cores afaik so the answer for the topic question is yes.
Last edited by valerian_777 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I found this in regards to release notes for lush 1.1.0

The update includes eagerly awaited multi-core support, which significantly decreases an overall CPU usage of the plug-in (option requires multi-core CPU).

Diva: multithreading support for modern CPUs - more polyphony, less overload

Urs from u-he explained that once here, but i forgot what it was about... i think there's the multithreading controlled by the sequencer, and plugins can utilize multiple cores too, if the sequencer doesn't control it. Or so.

Your sequencer manage the multi core not the vst
Your operating system manages the cores and not the sequencer. Host may only nicely ask Windows to run threads on multiple cores, but it doesn't seem to be guaranted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found out by testing multi-threaded applications.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Kontakt, harmor, and diva can use multiple cores while hosted in a daw.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ultimately this sort of thing is an issue of inter-process communication and the latency of this communication.

Ideally we could generate all voices individually, or even components of those voices (individual oscillators, filters, envelopes, ...) separately.

The issue is when we want to eventually mix all these components down to a single audio stream. Every time we want to combine the result of multiple processes we have to add the "jitter" latency which is equal to the worst-case variation of timing between processes.

This can add up quickly, and it must be in total less than the audio latency.

So in other words you have (every time two data streams are mixed):
inter-process latency = [task processing time] + [max variation] + [communication overhead]

This is not easy. This is why for example you don't see CUDA (GPU) based synthesizers.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Your sequencer manage the multi core not the vst
Your operating system manages the cores and not the sequencer. Host may only nicely ask Windows to run threads on multiple cores, but it doesn't seem to be guaranted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found out by testing multi-threaded applications.
Yep, with manage multi core i meant of course that the sequencer manage the threads, for example FL Studio: "FL uses multiple threads: one for audio, one for midi and one for the user interface. Then it uses threads for various things here and there. So FL by itself is multi-threaded and will show some improvement from a multi-core cpu"
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

The plugin can also do this quite easily.

It's just over-all a complex task and very system specific, and it requires a large R&D investment in both time and effort.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

i know for example each instance of a Synth Squad synth is single threaded.

this is why things can get crazy pretty quick with Fusor if you have a bunch of stuff going on.

bludreamsounds wrote:Ok, thus far diva and lush 101 support multiple cores.
ACE too :)

DUNE 2 is multithreaded and can take advantage of multiple cores.

Return to “Instruments”