One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been working on finishing the track I entered prematurely and has already changed dramatically. My goal is to finish it this month. Will bump up this thread with the updated version once released.

On a side note if anyone is interested in a collab on a goa trance track, psy, psychill for upcoming collabs send me a pm. Or would the general discussion thread be more relevant? Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

jasinski wrote:Don't forget Photonic too. Just saying.
Oh yes. I do envy Photonic's composition skills. :) :drool: I could list so many people, though, really. This is why I say to check out at least the top 5 from each month. There are some real gems in there - and a lot of real gems that didn't even make top 5 some months!

I hope that didn't sound elitist. I agree with you Z, there are a ton of great producers on here! Sincerely.

Do you mind if I ask you all how long you've been creating music? For me its been about 10 years.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Do you mind if I ask you all how long you've been creating music? For me its been about 10 years.
If by "creating music" you means also the premature, young age attempts, it's about 32 years, for me :cry:
My dad plays piano (and italian accordion) from his very young age, so i always had a piano, a guitar and an organ to play (i mean: toying :D ) with. I started going to piano lesson at the age of 8 (more or less, memory is shady :) ) and as far i can remember, once i got the meaning of scale and chords i started composing....which i liked far more than exercising so i gave-up my piano lesson in about 3-4 years.

Fun story: i was so proud of what i felt was my first real composition (was more a chord progression with little melody, really) and i kept playing it to everyone with enough patience to listen a kid playing piano. One of these persons one day said: "Oh, don't fool me. This is Phil Collins!". "Who?"
Phil Collins published "In the air tonight".... which was exactly like my little piece :dog: ... go tell to people you were first :D :hihi:
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

A guitarist since age 15, when I saw my friend crank out the guitar solo from Blue Suede Shoes. Composed some things since age 22, nothing serious. Taught myself music theory and took one year jazzguitar lessons. Started composing again when I got a cheap DAW software package, like 7 years ago.

When I was 17 years old I got a wrong record as christmas gift. Do not remember want I wanted, but I got Equinoxe from JMJ. This started my interest in synths. From 20 to 30 years old, I played in bands (DX7, Prophet VS and Korg 01W), allways our own compositions (Pop, Rock, Funk). We had a primitive MIDI-Sequncer called Master-Trax Pro and we recorded on a 16 track Tascam B16, which belongs to a friend of mine. Then I did a break from music for about 12 years. When I re-entered the music-biz I felt like I was sleeping for 100 years. All those possiblities we have today blew my away. I bought Cubase and restarted my music-life. December 2012 I joined OSC with DIVA. I never got piano lessons, never learned the theory seriously.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:never learned the theory seriously.
Yep. It was funny when i was part of a band, and the guitarrist were studying harmony, orchestration and other stuff, when i was talking about how i'd liked to play some expanded chord he kept saying "just call it a 9, do you mean the bass will play a rivolto..."
I "grabbed" the theory with just my ears but I did'nt know what was the formal name of things :)

Parduz wrote:
Yep. It was funny when i was part of a band, and the guitarrist were studying harmony, orchestration and other stuff, when i was talking about how i'd liked to play some expanded chord he kept saying "just call it a 9, do you mean the bass will play a rivolto..."
I "grabbed" the theory with just my ears but I did'nt know what was the formal name of things :)
I took 2 years of classical music theory in college. I don't always use it, but it's nice to know that stuff. :wink:

Examigan wrote:
Parduz wrote:
I took 2 years of classical music theory in college. I don't always use it, but it's nice to know that stuff. :wink:
I guess so. And I'd like to know that stuff me too, now, 'cause sometimes i have fun with things like this:
http://www.reverbnation.com/fabiocalzol ... vargarheim
and i bet that an expert could point about 100 mistakes even if i worked on any single note for about three months :)

Hello people, just saying, u-he's Hive page now includes a mentioning of and link to the results of this contest, very nice!

http://www.u-he.com/cms/hive

ThePresent wrote:Hello people, just saying, u-he's Hive page now includes a mentioning of and link to the results of this contest, very nice!

http://www.u-he.com/cms/hive
BTW, I forgot to say thank you for noticing this! :tu:

I wasn't really in the market for another soft-synth, as I have so much left to learn with the ones I already have, but Hive really seems to have a nice vibe to it and Bitwig gave me a gift card so I'm really tempted to take the plunge, since the latest beta seems pretty nice.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

I hope it's cool to resurrect an old thread, just I've been doing my own personal one synth challenge with Hive now that it's officially released.

I put together a song idea here:
https://soundcloud.com/soundgoddess008/ ... on-by-zero

Would love some feedback on it, I'm thinking of using it for an album idea I'm working on called [division by zero]. I've never put an album together before so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing. I just would like a project to focus on and I think that coming up with an album would be something fun. I'm taking a break from EDM and and am doing a bit more moody electronica.

Also curious how you might rank it if this was the current month's challenge. Both as it is now and also if it had a little bit better structure and decent mixing/mastering. I realize I'm a long way away from my goal of putting together really pro music but I feel that with each new song idea I improve my skills a bit more.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

HI! Please me prize Hive Synth
Tritik : tkDelay plugin
KV331 Audio : SynthMaster Factory
How is the issue of prizes?

Return to “Instruments”