FL Studio 12 BETA available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

I'm pretty sure shadoe42 is alluding to the extra work required to do audio recording in FL the way most musicians want to, i.e. without workarounds and limitations such as only being able to loop record in Edison, which is not integrated in the playlist. Remember Edison is also the IL recommended method but is really only the lesser of two evils. Hence the mention of editing in situ, rather than in an editor.

If only it were as simple as you make out above. You might want to read this thread and the countless others on this topic, and also compare how much easier other DAWs make the whole process of recording audio.

It is as simple as above. Edison is not required to record; you can track and edit directly in the playlist - which is much quicker. Setting up any DAW for tracking takes a handful of seconds once the workflow is understood.

Now. A good comping feature wouldn't be a bad thing...

Am excited by these updates but will be waiting for full version 12 before I check them out.

valerian_777 wrote:
shadoe42 wrote:If FL would give me proper audio recording, directly to the playlist, etc...its all been said before. Then FL would become the only DAW I had.
Record audio to playlist: Arm a Mixer track by selecting an input or clicking on the disk recording..
Indeed, here it is. This involved 5 clicks and 5 seconds...

This is all in the manual - http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... tRecording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0uvpA4Va8
Last edited by Image-Line on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

sjm wrote:I'm pretty sure shadoe42 is alluding to the extra work required to do audio recording in FL the way most musicians want to, i.e. without workarounds and limitations such as only being able to loop record in Edison
...ah no. There is a loop record switch. If you want sound-on-sound recording then select 'Blend recording' too.

This is all in the manual - http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... pRecording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JLBDp3KrAA

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

And you don't get problems with dropouts at the end of each loop if you do it that way? I get a noticeable dropout each time it loops, so it's not a viable option I'm afraid. And this has come up before, so it's not only me.

IIRC gol had some convoluted explanation for why it's like this which boiled down to it being due to his lack of ability/desire to program it properly. This was then followed by him saying you should just use Edison.

Edit: not the quote I was looking for, but
gol wrote: yes it's normal

(there's an old story about loop recording, I said it couldn't be implemented properly and was asked to do it anyway)

sjm wrote:I'm pretty sure shadoe42 is alluding to the extra work required to do audio recording in FL the way most musicians want to, i.e. without workarounds and limitations such as only being able to loop record in Edison, which is not integrated in the playlist. Remember Edison is also the IL recommended method but is really only the lesser of two evils. Hence the mention of editing in situ, rather than in an editor.

If only it were as simple as you make out above. You might want to read this thread and the countless others on this topic, and also compare how much easier other DAWs make the whole process of recording audio.
Is it possible that shadoe42 wants to record the audio from a VSTi in real-time unto a track in the Playlist?

sjm wrote:And you don't get problems with dropouts at the end of each loop if you do it that way? I get a noticeable dropout each time it loops, so it's not a viable option I'm afraid. And this has come up before, so it's not only me.
I don't get big dropouts. If you look closely at that video there is a tiny slice missing on each loop equal to the buffer length (how big this missing data is depends on your CPU and ASIO drivers. On each loop FL Studio saves wave files and opens a new one. If your CPU is a little slow you can lose some ms on the next loop), but if you do, there is a simple solution:

Just leave a bar lead-in to the section you want to loop-record. Which IMO is good practice anyhow as you can play into the loop you want to keep. I have recorded 100's of hours of vocalists and guitarists etc and it's almost always the case that the performance spills over into the lead-in bar at some point anyway.

It's a small change to workflow and there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Regards Scott

Kalamata Kid wrote:Is it possible that shadoe42 wants to record the audio from a VSTi in real-time unto a track in the Playlist?
Realtime render:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphmwCbvr9c

Offline HQ render:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE3-zG6pnh8

Is this realtime rendering capable of recording without buffer underrun glitches?
Edison has a problem that when recording and a cpu dropout occurs, it records the dropout also. What has been illuding me is, how can Edison record buffer underruns, which only happen at the end of the signal chain?
Is it like a track freeze feature?

I'm waiting for FL 13. But then again, it will be just like all the others.........senseless, buggy, CPU hog, and utterly useless. Oh....sorry for my "sophia" moment, but after 9 versions, I think I'm entitled.

hibidy wrote:I'm waiting for FL 13. But then again, it will be just like all the others.........senseless, buggy, CPU hog, and utterly useless. Oh....sorry for my "sophia" moment, but after 9 versions, I think I'm entitled.
Are you still using XP?

camsr wrote:Is this realtime rendering capable of recording without buffer underrun glitches?
Edison has a problem that when recording and a cpu dropout occurs, it records the dropout also. What has been illuding me is, how can Edison record buffer underruns, which only happen at the end of the signal chain?
Is it like a track freeze feature?
Why use the real-time method? Use the offline method (second video above), it's much quicker and higher quality. I wouldn't be using real-time Edison recording for making stems. Here is a tutorial for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9RHI9wunI

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

pc2000 wrote:
hibidy wrote:I'm waiting for FL 13. But then again, it will be just like all the others.........senseless, buggy, CPU hog, and utterly useless. Oh....sorry for my "sophia" moment, but after 9 versions, I think I'm entitled.
Are you still using XP?
That must be it. Thanks!

Hi hibidy, and we're still waiting for you to post about your bugs in Techsupport so we can fix them. We can't fix what we don't know about...or can't reproduce.

Regards Scott

You have files filing your basements and all stock rooms with it but choose to ignore it. don't shoot the messenger.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”