Where to begin?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

So after working 4 years at my previous job, I've decided to resign, take a break and spend a few months trying new things and evaluating the next step I should take in life.

With that said, I've always been interested in music production. However, I don't know how to play any instruments and have zero knowledge on music theory and music production. In order to make the most out of the free time that I currently have, do you guys have any pointers on how I should begin?

Should I learn how to play the piano/keyboard before I learn how to produce? Thanks in advance! :)

softeyes wrote: Should I learn how to play the piano/keyboard before I learn how to produce? Thanks in advance! :)
Yes, you could learn to use software but without a way tod evelop musical dieas it's pretty much useless.

Music goes first.
dedication to flying

Yes, that would be a proper start :tu:

You can also kill two flies and get some nice hardware synth, get all tweaky too since beginning, old school way 8)

But nice MIDI controller keyboard will do just fine :tu:

It's a bit like asking ...

"Hi
I have decided to become a premiership footballer but I don't know the rules and have never played a game of football. How do I start?

Should I buy a ball first? " :hihi:

There are many "how do I start" threads on KVR ... start there.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p6036529

... and learn to play an instrument while you're at it. ;)

Congrats on quitting your job. I did it many years ago and never went back ... the musical rabbit hole goes very deep. Good luck.

Thanks so much guys. Appreciate the support!

No, you do not need to learn to play a keyboard. In fact, especially if you are into EDM then you do not even need a keyboard at all. A lot of FL studio users draw their melodies using the piano roll.

When it comes to musical ideas, just start making music and the ideas will come while you are playing with your DAW and soft synths
Dúnedain

I'd say you don't need to play a keyboard fluently but it helps to use a keyboard to try out new melody/chord ideas much more easily than using just a piano roll.

Some basic music theory would be a good idea. You can learn that in a few days (much faster than playing anything).

Keys, scales, chord progressions, cadences, melody etc. and basic rules about drum parts and bass parts too assuming you want to use those in your work.

Get a 49 key midi controller keyboard and a basic DAW. Don't worry about paid plug-ins or VSTs at this point.
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

feelings and ideas > theory.

I know people that'd got huge music theory knowledge but their ideas are not even close
to some people that have 0 music theory knowledge.

The bad part is that you will feel that sometimes you won't be able to transfer the idea
from your mind to your DAW, so yeah you'll need some kind of Basic music theory, but you don't need to be Beethoven, go for some basic stuff so you can actually play your ideas :D

I can highly recommend the Dance Music Manual: http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Manua ... b_title_bk

And the tutorials from the same author, at http://www.dancemusicproduction.com

Check them out, you'll be well on your way.

Above all, less is more. Don't collect plugins. Learn the ones you have (the ones you get with your DAW), then when you feel you need to, branch out further into things you feel you don't have, like a new type of synthesis for example.

softeyes wrote:Hi everyone,

So after working 4 years at my previous job, I've decided to resign, take a break and spend a few months trying new things and evaluating the next step I should take in life.

With that said, I've always been interested in music production. However, I don't know how to play any instruments and have zero knowledge on music theory and music production. In order to make the most out of the free time that I currently have, do you guys have any pointers on how I should begin?

Should I learn how to play the piano/keyboard before I learn how to produce? Thanks in advance! :)
Yes just learn music and keyboard or any other instrument. If you're a creator, music wise, ideas will show immediatly in parralel. If you're less a creator, music playing is a real pleasure anyway, and a rewarding hobby.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

softeyes wrote:Hi everyone,

Easiest way should be Youtube - there's an incredible amount of videos, especially for beginners.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”