Mics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a quick question...I want to record my son and his mate doing some freestyling...what mics are good value for money for recording vocals...I hear the sm58's take a bit of beating (or they used to) but I havent looked at mics for a few years now so I dont know the new ones...up to around £300 I was looking at spending so nothing too fancy.
Thanks
Beware the Moon!!

I picked up a Rode NT1 recently (for vocals) and it sounds excellent. It's very clean sounding and quiet (low noise floor). Costs around £150 ... unbelievably cheap imho.
http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and ... tAodwDkAzw
(Don't confuse it with the NT1a which I'm told is not so good.)

SM58 is also excellent value ... solid and functional. Mine is still going strong after 25 years. :)

thanks...I will look at the rodes...I think its a condensor mic I want...with a nice stand...are those reflection things worth getting and pop filters...I know nothing of this type of recording lol...I basically want to record my son and his mate freestyling...I will be recording in my bedroom...the acoustics are ok but i'm worried about the pc noise..I want to get the best recording I can for under 300 pounds bacically :)
Beware the Moon!!

My NT1 came with a stainless steel pop shield and a shockmount included. I record in the same room as my laptop and haven't found noise a problem, but if you get a long enough mic lead you can always do the recording in a different room from the PC (or alternatively put the PC outside the room or in a cupboard).

thanks...the NTI looks a good mic...would one of those portable vocal booth things be any good...to isolate background noise?...sorry to be a nuisance but i've never recorded vocals before...my other alternatives are to put the pc outside the room like you sugested...but I would have to buy a ton of extended cables..or to put the mic out in the hallway...but the hallway sounds a little echoey...I'm used to mixing in the bedroom...its taken me years to learn my my room with my monitors (i;m an old geezer lol)
Beware the Moon!!

Is the computer that noisy? Get the mic and try some recording before you fix what aint broke. ;) I've done lots of vocal and acoustic instrument recording in the same room as my laptop. It's never been an issue tbh.

Another condensor mic to check out : Shure PG27
http://www.shure.co.uk/products/microphones/pg27
I used one for some vocal and acoustic guitar recording. Good sounding mic for not much money.

I like the shure sm58, sm7b, and sm57 dynamic mics . These mics have been around forever and have beaten the test of time . They also been used on Madonna and Michael Jackson records . Long story short get a couple of 58 s and a couple of pop filters , you can't go wrong , because they are used in the PRO studios and for live situations as well . I have the 58 and 57 I heard they are basically the same mic except one has a flat mic grill and the other has a ball type grill . I dont have the sm7 yet , its on my list . I do also own some condensor mics too . I have a pair of avenson audio sto-2 omni mics , and 2 old AKG 451 ck1 plus the Blue mics B6 lollipop cap that screws on to the AKG451 . Out of all the mics I own the avenson audio sto-2 are my favorite .

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”